Topics

GPS Port Bama Enclosure

Jim - W7EZN

Are there favorites for plug types connecting a GPS to the QCX tranceiver.  Is the opening machined for a particular item?

Best--Jim

--
Jim, W7EZN    73!

George Korper

9 pin serial port or use the cover plate as a stress relief for GPS leads.
I used Dupont leads and the cover plate, but I'm looking around for connectors off old computers.
Love to hear from others myself.

On Mon, Mar 30, 2020 at 7:38 PM Jim - W7EZN via Groups.Io <jhowell39=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Are there favorites for plug types connecting a GPS to the QCX tranceiver.  Is the opening machined for a particular item?

Best--Jim

--
Jim, W7EZN    73!

George Korper

I just looked at the data sheet for and RS- 232,  DB9 and the holes are 25 mm apart,
which i just measured on the case. I had quite a few but I bet many members of the
group have them in their junk box. I'm gonna visit my local computer geek tomorrow if their not shut down.

On Mon, Mar 30, 2020 at 8:18 PM George Korper <georgekorper@...> wrote:
9 pin serial port or use the cover plate as a stress relief for GPS leads.
I used Dupont leads and the cover plate, but I'm looking around for connectors off old computers.
Love to hear from others myself.

On Mon, Mar 30, 2020 at 7:38 PM Jim - W7EZN via Groups.Io <jhowell39=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Are there favorites for plug types connecting a GPS to the QCX tranceiver.  Is the opening machined for a particular item?

Best--Jim

--
Jim, W7EZN    73!

George Korper

And lastly I remember why I didn't do it. There was some interference
between the connector and the GPS pins.

On Mon, Mar 30, 2020 at 8:30 PM George Korper <georgekorper@...> wrote:
[...]

q q

This is the plug and socket I use is a Winchester Connector model M5S

I have them on my U3S, QCX and my Bitx40 with QRP Labs VFO.

This way I can use the same GPS with each rig

Never an issue.

Bob
W1EXZ

George Korper

I like that;  do you drill a hole in the Back of the Bama? If so what size?

I need to get more creative and put holes in the Bama for  voltage regulators
that makes all my rigs 20 Volt! I'm using 20 volt 6 amp hour Black and Decker knockoffs from Amazon,
and they are working out terrific. I 'm using VR's for 12 volt, 15 volt and 5 volts.

On Tue, Mar 31, 2020 at 7:09 AM q q via Groups.Io <bzmdrc=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
This is the plug and socket I use is a Winchester Connector model M5S

I have them on my U3S, QCX and my Bitx40 with QRP Labs VFO.

This way I can use the same GPS with each rig

Never an issue.

Bob
W1EXZ

Jim - W7EZN

Great suggestions.  Thanks everyone!
--
Jim, W7EZN    73!

Jim - W7EZN

Update--

I've decided to go with these
According to the data sheet the 4-pin model should fit the opening spot on.
--
Jim, W7EZN    73!

scot forshaw

I’m in the process of modelling a custom 3D Printed GPS connector with dust cover. If anyone has a wish list or input at this stage then please share it.

Scot
2E0WWV

On 31 Mar 2020, at 12:09, q q via Groups.Io <bzmdrc@...> wrote:

This is the plug and socket I use is a Winchester Connector model M5S

I have them on my U3S, QCX and my Bitx40 with QRP Labs VFO.

This way I can use the same GPS with each rig

Never an issue.

Bob
W1EXZ

Mike Besemer - WM4B

For everyone’s info, Adafruit is not currently shipping.

Mike

WM4B

According to the data sheet the 4-pin model should fit the opening spot on.
--
Jim, W7EZN    73!

Shirley Dulcey KE1L

Thanks for letting us know. Adafruit is not currently shipping except for essential orders, but you can order Adafruit products from Digikey or Mouser; those distributors are still shipping.