PCB question

George Korper

Hi All,
I just removed a transformer from the PCB. I reinstalled but noticed on one of the four
wires, despite care, the plating on the bottom of the board which is on the ground plane had
disappeared. There is a nice connection on the top side. The wire is showing proper continuity
to ground, but I am concerned this may disguise a poor connection. How should I address this problem?
I think in my zeal to get it right, I may have applied too much heat.
K3GK

ajparent1/KB1GMX

Same problem,  WHICH transformer?

Cooking pads off takes some doing, the board is not all that fragile.

You may have to solder from the top meaning insure the leads are
preped correctly (tinned and no blobs).

Allison
-------------------------------
Please reply on list so we can share.
No direct email, it goes to bit bucket due address harvesting in groups.IO

Ronald Taylor

George, you can add a piece of wire on the bottom side of the board from the exposed end of the transformer wire itself to the closest ground point you can solder it to. Use wire similar in gauge to the wire used on that transformer.

Ron

On Sun, Mar 8, 2020 at 8:50 AM George Korper <georgekorper@...> wrote:
Hi All,
I just removed a transformer from the PCB. I reinstalled but noticed on one of the four
wires, despite care, the plating on the bottom of the board which is on the ground plane had
disappeared. There is a nice connection on the top side. The wire is showing proper continuity
to ground, but I am concerned this may disguise a poor connection. How should I address this problem?
I think in my zeal to get it right, I may have applied too much heat.
K3GK

ajparent1/KB1GMX

Ron,
That depends on the transformer and if the pad is even a ground.

Its possible its just the ring of a though hole that has tracks on the top side.
That would be true for T2 and three of four leads of T3.  Wong lead to
ground and no RF, blown IRF510s.

If its the lead is the  one to ground, the topside pad is also ground.
No need to add wire then.

We are still guessing.  A picture is useful.

Allison