Topics

6m RX and 4m TX WSPR

Mike

Hi folks, just a heads up to say that my 6m 24/7 WSPR reporter is up and
running on a QRPLabs RX, Progrock and Polysynth with a homebrew 6m>10m
converter, the aerial is a dipole aligned north south at 15 feet agl.
Receiving well, but not many UK stations about. If the WSPR Challenge website
is anything to go by, the receiver seems quite competitive

My 4m WSPR TX is running 24/7, 10mW into a Sirio vertical halfwave endfed.
Best dx this year -so far- is DL4RU at 1244Km. Would like some reports from UK
stations too !
4m seems to be a forgotten band, give it a try..

73 Mike G8NXD IO70je

KEN G4APB

Hi Mike,
I often run my U3S 4m Tx and Rx system on WSPR but it is a very lonely band as you say. I have managed to boost my OCXO controlled Tx to 1 Watt using a modified QRPlabs '5Watt' PA, and boosted the Rx sensitivity by using a homebrew 4m to 28m converter to U3S Rx and a Raspi doing the decoding. Antenna is a horiz half wave dipole in the attic.Just to add to the confusion there seems to be two WSPR operating frequencies for 4m so I run on both of them!

I'll look out for you.

73 Ken G4APB

Phil Crockford

Hi Mike. Can I ask what you used as the mixer oscillator on the 6M and 4M
transverters please?

Hi folks, just a heads up to say that my 6m 24/7 WSPR reporter is up and
running on a QRPLabs RX, Progrock and Polysynth with a homebrew 6m>10m
converter, the aerial is a dipole aligned north south at 15 feet agl.
Receiving well, but not many UK stations about. If the WSPR Challenge
website is anything to go by, the receiver seems quite competitive

My 4m WSPR TX is running 24/7, 10mW into a Sirio vertical halfwave endfed.
Best dx this year -so far- is DL4RU at 1244Km. Would like some reports from
UK stations too !
4m seems to be a forgotten band, give it a try..

73 Mike G8NXD IO70je

ajparent1/KB1GMX

Hi Mike,

Being an old hand at 6M  (no 4M here yet...) and 2M
height is might.  Best height is above roofs and trees
if possible.

Allison
-------------------------------
Please reply on list so we can share.

Ed G8BQR

Hi Mike,

WSPR= 70.152 500 is an un-committed suggestion from (European) amateurs who cannot TX below 70.150, 70.092 500 is still the “official” frequency. Most activity (when there is some) is at 70.152 500.

The same applies to FT8. 70.154 is the actual frequency most used, whilst 70.100 is the “official” frequency.

UK reception will likely be by tropo (for longer distances) so Autumn tends to be a good time, I’d guess DL4RU was via sporadic-E during the summer.

Most people expecting to receive signals over long distances will be using a horizontally polarised Yagi – for CW / SSB contacts. So I suggest using horizontal polarisation.

The other thing is to “advertise” transmissions on the WSPR map – if I look at the last 24 hrs I only see that G3THQ is on RX, and not TX, so I would tend not to look for WSPR signals.

I only looked for G6HSM, who is a very marginal signal here, recently, because G3THQ had spotted it.

Now I know you are 24/7 I can turn my Yagi in your direction and leave on RX overnight (daytime, I get a lot of local RFI coming up over the last 2-3yrs) – and hope some tropo turns up, the best times seem to be around 04:00 UTC :-)

Another point – lower bands WSPR TX is often the default 1 in 5, but if I TX at 4m or 2m (not at present, as I am experimenting with a WebSDR set-up) I tend to use 1 in 2 – this gives an RX time to get you into the 200Hz decode band before the signal fades again. TV dongle RXs in a loft can be significantly off frequency with changes in temperature.

Regards, Ed G8BQR IO82ve

KEN G4APB

On Wed, Sep 23, 2020 at 01:36 PM, Ed G8BQR wrote:
The other thing is to “advertise” transmissions on the WSPR map – if I look at the last 24 hrs I only see that G3THQ is on RX, and not TX, so I would tend not to look for WSPR signals.
Hi Ed, WSPRnet used to show transmitting stations in red font and receiving only in blue. I regularly transmit 4m from my U3s but it rarely shows up on the WSPRnet map as I rarely get spotted and I am not using wsjt-x to control it. Do you know of a way to ‘advertise’ my transmissions NOT controlled by wsjt-x?
73 Ken G4APB

Alan G4ZFQ

Do you know of a way to ‘advertise’ my transmissions NOT controlled by wsjt-x?
Ken,

Any way you do it would need continual refreshing.
One way could be to run a dummy instance of WSPR set to TX. But it would need to run continuously if your TX does.

73 Alan G4ZFQ