Old hands, tiny screws, and a lack of patience

KI7MWA

How many times have I lost one of those tiny screws while trying to get them started in their tiny holes?  How do you do it?

My method is to jam the end of a wood stick into the slot.  I have a pack of cotton swabs on 6" long wooden sticks, for cleaning pcbs, &c.  On the really small screws I have to carve the end of the stick down a bit to fit into the slot.  Carve it down, jam the screw on, and voila, you have a 6" long handle on your screw.  Works best with other than flat-blade type screws.

Bill

Blu Tack or equivalent sticky putty on the end of a chopstick.

 - Bill  KB3T

Andy Brilleaux <punkbiscuit@...>

As Bill says, Blue tack is best.
A close second is a magnetic screwdriver.

And as I've got older, a decent pair of reading glasses.
Makes close up work, and using my laptop / cellphone sooo much easier!

73 de Andy

Brien Pepperdine <brianpepperdine@...>

Just be sure to buy regular Blue Tack at the stationary store.

Don't get fooled and buy AudioPhool-Grade Isolation Material for Turntables. YES ! I was walking by a high end audio store and they had Blue Tack for sale for something under 30 dollars as isolation for the turntable from vibration! Hello Mr Barnum !

Anyhow, I much prefer the slab of marble my friend in university used under his Rega Planar Transport with the Vestigial Arm   :)

Brian VE3VAW

A close second is a magnetic screwdriver.

And as I've got older, a decent pair of reading glasses.
Makes close up work, and using my laptop / cellphone sooo much easier!

73 de Andy

Bill Cromwell

Hi,

Most of our gear these days weighs a lot less than 125 pounds. Probably all of the gear with those tiny screws is light weight. I put the screw on the tip of my screwdriver pointed straight up. Gravity holds it nicely in place. I turn the equipment so the threaded screw opening also points straight up and then join the two:)

73,

'nuther Bill KU8H

On 1/12/20 1:35 PM, Andy Brilleaux via Groups.Io wrote:
As Bill says, Blue tack is best.
A close second is a magnetic screwdriver.
And as I've got older, a decent pair of reading glasses.
Makes close up work, and using my laptop / cellphone sooo much easier!
73 de Andy
_._,_._,_
--
bark less - wag more

Jeff

I recently assembled the KD1JV Dual Lever Code Trainer Combo.  The nuts were a b*tch to thread on in the space provided.  I used a small dab of solder flux on the threads.  Easy peasy.  The flux was immediately available and worked great.  GL.

On Sun, Jan 12, 2020 at 07:27 PM, Brien Pepperdine wrote:
Don't get fooled and buy AudioPhool-Grade Isolation Material for Turntables.
Used chewing gum would perform just as well ;-)

- Andy -

ajparent1/KB1GMX

The standard on my bench for maybe 5 decades is beeswax.  A dab of
that on the tip of the screwdriver and your good.  The trick is warm it a
second between fingers.

Its also handy for locking slugs in coils.

Allison
-------------------------------
Please reply on list so we can share.
No direct email, it goes to bit bucket due address harvesting in groups.IO

Arv Evans

Use only Blu-Tack that is rated for QRP work!   8-)
_._

On Sun, Jan 12, 2020 at 1:02 PM Andy Brilleaux via Groups.Io <punkbiscuit=googlemail.com@groups.io> wrote:
On Sun, Jan 12, 2020 at 07:27 PM, Brien Pepperdine wrote:
Don't get fooled and buy AudioPhool-Grade Isolation Material for Turntables.
Used chewing gum would perform just as well ;-)

- Andy -

Paul AI4EE

Where would I go to get that?

On 1/12/2020 3:12 PM, ajparent1/KB1GMX wrote:
The standard on my bench for maybe 5 decades is beeswax.  A dab of
that on the tip of the screwdriver and your good.  The trick is warm it a
second between fingers.

Its also handy for locking slugs in coils.

Allison
-------------------------------
Please reply on list so we can share.
No direct email, it goes to bit bucket due address harvesting in groups.IO

jjpurdum

Hobby Lobby sell a small container for about $2.

Jack, W8TEE

On Sunday, January 12, 2020, 3:55:07 PM EST, Dennis Shelton <nadie1943@...> wrote:

Where would I go to get that?

On 1/12/2020 3:12 PM, ajparent1/KB1GMX wrote:
The standard on my bench for maybe 5 decades is beeswax.  A dab of
that on the tip of the screwdriver and your good.  The trick is warm it a
second between fingers.

Its also handy for locking slugs in coils.

Allison
-------------------------------
Please reply on list so we can share.
No direct email, it goes to bit bucket due address harvesting in groups.IO

Arv Evans

Dennis

Do not know.  Blu-tack is almost unknown here in the US.

_-_

On Sun, Jan 12, 2020, 1:55 PM Dennis Shelton <nadie1943@...> wrote:

Where would I go to get that?

On 1/12/2020 3:12 PM, ajparent1/KB1GMX wrote:
The standard on my bench for maybe 5 decades is beeswax.  A dab of
that on the tip of the screwdriver and your good.  The trick is warm it a
second between fingers.

Its also handy for locking slugs in coils.

Allison
-------------------------------
Please reply on list so we can share.
No direct email, it goes to bit bucket due address harvesting in groups.IO

Andy Brilleaux <punkbiscuit@...>

>Do not know.  Blu-tack is almost unknown here in the US.

Tac It, Power Tac, Silly Putty or Plasti Tac in the US.
It's usually supplied as a slab or chewing gum like substance, sometimes coloured.

- Andy -

geoff M0ORE

For slotted screws. I have a screwdriver with a split tip that expands to grip the screw. Called a Quick-Wedge no 1259 ( I think, the number has worn away in the 40 years that I have had it ) manufactured in Salt lake City, US of A.

Doesn't work with cross heads.

On 12/01/2020 16:57, entilleser via Groups.Io wrote:
How many times have I lost one of those tiny screws while trying to get them started in their tiny holes?  How do you do it?

My method is to jam the end of a wood stick into the slot.  I have a pack of cotton swabs on 6" long wooden sticks, for cleaning pcbs, &c.  On the really small screws I have to carve the end of the stick down a bit to fit into the slot.  Carve it down, jam the screw on, and voila, you have a 6" long handle on your screw.  Works best with other than flat-blade type screws.

rentwist@...

Arv Evans

Interesting.  Next time I'm in Lowes I will check for Blue-tac.
Thanks,

Arv

On Sun, Jan 12, 2020, 6:32 PM <rentwist@...> wrote:
Dennis, Arv,

https://www.lowes.com/pd/DAP-BLUESTIK-4-Piece-Craft-Blue-Multipurpose-Adhesive/3024947

73,

Robert, WA2T

David Wilcox

It used to be in any college store because we couldn’t put any nails in the walls of the dorm.

David J. Wilcox K8WPE’s iPad

On Jan 13, 2020, at 1:16 AM, Arv Evans <arvid.evans@...> wrote:

Interesting.  Next time I'm in Lowes I will check for Blue-tac.
Thanks,

Arv

On Sun, Jan 12, 2020, 6:32 PM <rentwist@...> wrote:
Dennis, Arv,

https://www.lowes.com/pd/DAP-BLUESTIK-4-Piece-Craft-Blue-Multipurpose-Adhesive/3024947

73,

Robert, WA2T

Curt M.

I have used these with very good success.  I picked them up at a train show a while back.  They will allow you to get the screws started.  I also have a set that have two hoops that come out that will allow you to hold a screw or nut from the side.  These will by no means allow you to tighten the screw all the way down but you can get a turn or two and then release these from the screw and get the screw driver on the screw.

Curt M.

https://www.amazon.com/SE-860PT-Pick-Up-Tool-Prongs/dp/B000RB3KZ4/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=pickup+tool+for+diamonds&qid=1578923956&sr=8-2

Curt M.

Here is a pic

Kees T

I use only phillips head screws so they stay "centered" and a magnetic phillips screw driver. If the magnetism is not strong enough, clip 1 or 2 supermagnets to the screwdriver. works great, no mess.

.......you left off cataracts.

73 Kees K5BCQ