Topics

Which manual do I use?

Leland L. Bahr
 

I decided to buy another QCX-40.  I live in the US.  I ordered the radio on Jan 1.  I downloaded REV-5 Manual Jan 7.  I got a shipment notice the radio was shipped from the US on Jan 8.  No shipping info nor any serial number given.  Just that it was shipped from the US.  I recently read QCX boards were out of stock and not expected to be available again until the middle of January.  So that is what I know.  My concern is which manual do I use to build the radio once it gets here?  Will I get a Rev-4 or Rev-5 board?   I would hate to think I need to throw away the Rev-5 manual and have to reprint 9 zillion pages for a Rev-4 manual for a radio I have not yet received.  If I had known about all this, I would not have printed out the BIG Rev-5 manual and had it bound until I knew which manual to download.  Personally I think communications are poor!
Lee, w0vt

N3MNT
 

Most people build from assy instructions on a laptop or tablet.  The board rev should be on the board you receive.  If it was shipped from the US warehouse, you should have it in a matter of days.  These are the changes so no need to reprint entire manual.

Leland L. Bahr
 

Your comments  have nothing to do with my concerns or tell me something I do not know.

Lee, w0vt

On 1/9/2020 4:50 PM, N3MNT wrote:
Most people build from assy instructions on a laptop or tablet.  The board rev should be on the board you receive.  If it was shipped from the US warehouse, you should have it in a matter of days.  These are the changes so no need to reprint entire manual.

ajparent1/KB1GMX
 

Myself I'd hold printing till I see it but, the REV5 is the shipped unit.

Do review the web page as there is both history and dates outlined
as well as what changes each rev adds.

The reason you got a suggestion to work from the screen over paper
is any changes or fixes (including documentation) are often incorporated
very quickly to the on line sources.

 I've built a few bits of QRPL gear and the web page is the reference
not here.  Though we have a lot of good people here that have built
them as well.  I really like the QCX I have.

Allison
-------------------------------
Please reply on list so we can share.
No direct email, it goes to bit bucket due address harvesting in groups.IO

Simon Kennedy
 

Some would say that you were being too hasty in not waiting until you received the kit but as yours has been shipped from the US you will get it quicker than if it had been shipped from Turkey, so small mercies etc!

You need to look at Section 10 Document Revision History, p145.

I really don't think you've got any reason to reprint the manual if you get a Rev 4 board. You will have an additional capacitor to install (C39) but that's all.


On Thu, 9 Jan 2020, 22:52 Leland L. Bahr, <w5drc@...> wrote:

Your comments  have nothing to do with my concerns or tell me something I do not know.

Lee, w0vt

On 1/9/2020 4:50 PM, N3MNT wrote:
Most people build from assy instructions on a laptop or tablet.  The board rev should be on the board you receive.  If it was shipped from the US warehouse, you should have it in a matter of days.  These are the changes so no need to reprint entire manual.

@CurtisM
 

Lee

the probability is high the kit will match the board.  also I think I member you have lots of building experience.  and the few changes, Hans would tell you himself - but I think you will receive the latest version in hardware. 

another QCX?  if you built one - you know the ropes.  yes with my eyesight the laptop was a 'Godsend' allowing me to match where each part went on the board - but do what works for you. 

please remember the folk at 'the factory' are quite busy - we should be thrilled they provide enjoyment to us.  let's see we have exceptional e-commerce, manual that is off-the-charts good - and a wonderful rig.  please don't fret they can't respond more quickly - we have collectively gotten vast attention. 

73 and enjoy the journey

fellow builder Curt wb8yyy

George Korper
 

The important change is in the new firmware. The other changes are  much less significant. I print manuals but using the PDF in my smartphone is much easier to read
placement of components. My smartphone is actually my main radio and the QCX is a project, and very absorbing but shouldn't become a talisman. Neither should my smartphone. They are both gadgets and the process is learn ing. Not things. 

 MADAM,  please return my coat, I think I've had one too many radios. 

On Thu, Jan 9, 2020, 5:54 PM wb8yyy via Groups.Io <wb8yyy=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Lee

the probability is high the kit will match the board.  also I think I member you have lots of building experience.  and the few changes, Hans would tell you himself - but I think you will receive the latest version in hardware. 

another QCX?  if you built one - you know the ropes.  yes with my eyesight the laptop was a 'Godsend' allowing me to match where each part went on the board - but do what works for you. 

please remember the folk at 'the factory' are quite busy - we should be thrilled they provide enjoyment to us.  let's see we have exceptional e-commerce, manual that is off-the-charts good - and a wonderful rig.  please don't fret they can't respond more quickly - we have collectively gotten vast attention. 

73 and enjoy the journey

fellow builder Curt wb8yyy

Leland L. Bahr
 

Yes, I could have done a lot of things, but I would have done things differently if I knew all the facts.  We were told the boards were all gone and waiting on new ones to arrive sometime around the middle of January yet my unit was shipped Jan 8.  Doesn't sound to me like they "were out of boards".  This is to be my 5th QCX.  I am also not in any rush to receive my kit.  My life does not revolve around getting a QCX kit.  As to how many guys used printed manuals vs on line manuals.  Give me your scientific survey data backing up your claims.  You don't have any,  yet you pretend to claim my desires to use a printed manual are unreasonable.  In the end it doesn't really matter as I am the buyer and I like printed manuals.  Could care less what anyone else likes to use.   To be honest, I am pissed off and these groupie responses are making me even more pissed off.  I'll work through this and really don't need any more comments on how I am the unreasonable one.  I may just throw the whole damn thing in the trash. 

Lee, w0vt

On 1/9/2020 5:12 PM, ajparent1/KB1GMX wrote:
Myself I'd hold printing till I see it but, the REV5 is the shipped unit.

Do review the web page as there is both history and dates outlined
as well as what changes each rev adds.

The reason you got a suggestion to work from the screen over paper
is any changes or fixes (including documentation) are often incorporated
very quickly to the on line sources.

 I've built a few bits of QRPL gear and the web page is the reference
not here.  Though we have a lot of good people here that have built
them as well.  I really like the QCX I have.

Allison
-------------------------------
Please reply on list so we can share.
No direct email, it goes to bit bucket due address harvesting in groups.IO

ajparent1/KB1GMX
 

I for one do not see having hard copy unreasonable.  Nor did I say you should not
other than to insure you have the latest version.

I do hope your not calling my responses "groupie".

Allison
-------------------------------
Please reply on list so we can share.
No direct email, it goes to bit bucket due address harvesting in groups.IO

Roy Appleton
 

Jeez take a deep breath and get a grip! You started this whine fest!



On Thu, Jan 9, 2020, 8:42 PM Leland L. Bahr <w5drc@...> wrote:

Yes, I could have done a lot of things, but I would have done things differently if I knew all the facts.  We were told the boards were all gone and waiting on new ones to arrive sometime around the middle of January yet my unit was shipped Jan 8.  Doesn't sound to me like they "were out of boards".  This is to be my 5th QCX.  I am also not in any rush to receive my kit.  My life does not revolve around getting a QCX kit.  As to how many guys used printed manuals vs on line manuals.  Give me your scientific survey data backing up your claims.  You don't have any,  yet you pretend to claim my desires to use a printed manual are unreasonable.  In the end it doesn't really matter as I am the buyer and I like printed manuals.  Could care less what anyone else likes to use.   To be honest, I am pissed off and these groupie responses are making me even more pissed off.  I'll work through this and really don't need any more comments on how I am the unreasonable one.  I may just throw the whole damn thing in the trash. 

Lee, w0vt

On 1/9/2020 5:12 PM, ajparent1/KB1GMX wrote:
Myself I'd hold printing till I see it but, the REV5 is the shipped unit.

Do review the web page as there is both history and dates outlined
as well as what changes each rev adds.

The reason you got a suggestion to work from the screen over paper
is any changes or fixes (including documentation) are often incorporated
very quickly to the on line sources.

 I've built a few bits of QRPL gear and the web page is the reference
not here.  Though we have a lot of good people here that have built
them as well.  I really like the QCX I have.

Allison
-------------------------------
Please reply on list so we can share.
No direct email, it goes to bit bucket due address harvesting in groups.IO

Andy Brilleaux <punkbiscuit@...>
 

On Fri, Jan 10, 2020 at 02:42 AM, Leland L. Bahr callsign W0VT wrote:
This is to be my 5th QCX.
So you should know pretty well how to build a PCB and choose the correct documentation by now.

 My life does not revolve around getting a QCX kit. 
Your temper tantrum indicates the reverse.

Lol !

Leland L. Bahr
 

Yes, I now get it.  I now realize the customer never has a valid gripe.  He is always wrong.  He made all the mistakes.  His logic is flawed, and the seller never does anything wrong.   I get it.  You should never take a sellers comments as valid and make decisions based on them.  Sorry I bothered the group.  Won't do it anymore.  How stupid it was of me to think otherwise.  Won't make any more comments on here.  I'm done. 

Lee, w0vt

On 1/9/2020 9:28 PM, Roy Appleton wrote:
Jeez take a deep breath and get a grip! You started this whine fest!



On Thu, Jan 9, 2020, 8:42 PM Leland L. Bahr <w5drc@...> wrote:

Yes, I could have done a lot of things, but I would have done things differently if I knew all the facts.  We were told the boards were all gone and waiting on new ones to arrive sometime around the middle of January yet my unit was shipped Jan 8.  Doesn't sound to me like they "were out of boards".  This is to be my 5th QCX.  I am also not in any rush to receive my kit.  My life does not revolve around getting a QCX kit.  As to how many guys used printed manuals vs on line manuals.  Give me your scientific survey data backing up your claims.  You don't have any,  yet you pretend to claim my desires to use a printed manual are unreasonable.  In the end it doesn't really matter as I am the buyer and I like printed manuals.  Could care less what anyone else likes to use.   To be honest, I am pissed off and these groupie responses are making me even more pissed off.  I'll work through this and really don't need any more comments on how I am the unreasonable one.  I may just throw the whole damn thing in the trash. 

Lee, w0vt

On 1/9/2020 5:12 PM, ajparent1/KB1GMX wrote:
Myself I'd hold printing till I see it but, the REV5 is the shipped unit.

Do review the web page as there is both history and dates outlined
as well as what changes each rev adds.

The reason you got a suggestion to work from the screen over paper
is any changes or fixes (including documentation) are often incorporated
very quickly to the on line sources.

 I've built a few bits of QRPL gear and the web page is the reference
not here.  Though we have a lot of good people here that have built
them as well.  I really like the QCX I have.

Allison
-------------------------------
Please reply on list so we can share.
No direct email, it goes to bit bucket due address harvesting in groups.IO

jjpurdum
 

I arrived late to the party, but...

...9 zillion pages...

That is a lot of pages to print. Still, if you prefer to print them out, that's your call.

Jack, W8TEE

On Thursday, January 9, 2020, 10:40:23 PM EST, Leland L. Bahr <w5drc@...> wrote:


Yes, I now get it.  I now realize the customer never has a valid gripe.  He is always wrong.  He made all the mistakes.  His logic is flawed, and the seller never does anything wrong.   I get it.  You should never take a sellers comments as valid and make decisions based on them.  Sorry I bothered the group.  Won't do it anymore.  How stupid it was of me to think otherwise.  Won't make any more comments on here.  I'm done. 

Lee, w0vt

On 1/9/2020 9:28 PM, Roy Appleton wrote:
Jeez take a deep breath and get a grip! You started this whine fest!



On Thu, Jan 9, 2020, 8:42 PM Leland L. Bahr <w5drc@...> wrote:

Yes, I could have done a lot of things, but I would have done things differently if I knew all the facts.  We were told the boards were all gone and waiting on new ones to arrive sometime around the middle of January yet my unit was shipped Jan 8.  Doesn't sound to me like they "were out of boards".  This is to be my 5th QCX.  I am also not in any rush to receive my kit.  My life does not revolve around getting a QCX kit.  As to how many guys used printed manuals vs on line manuals.  Give me your scientific survey data backing up your claims.  You don't have any,  yet you pretend to claim my desires to use a printed manual are unreasonable.  In the end it doesn't really matter as I am the buyer and I like printed manuals.  Could care less what anyone else likes to use.   To be honest, I am pissed off and these groupie responses are making me even more pissed off.  I'll work through this and really don't need any more comments on how I am the unreasonable one.  I may just throw the whole damn thing in the trash. 

Lee, w0vt

On 1/9/2020 5:12 PM, ajparent1/KB1GMX wrote:
Myself I'd hold printing till I see it but, the REV5 is the shipped unit.

Do review the web page as there is both history and dates outlined
as well as what changes each rev adds.

The reason you got a suggestion to work from the screen over paper
is any changes or fixes (including documentation) are often incorporated
very quickly to the on line sources.

 I've built a few bits of QRPL gear and the web page is the reference
not here.  Though we have a lot of good people here that have built
them as well.  I really like the QCX I have.

Allison
-------------------------------
Please reply on list so we can share.
No direct email, it goes to bit bucket due address harvesting in groups.IO

Viktors Miske KC8CKZ
 

Damn Lee, take a pill.
Unless I missed something, Labs was on holiday vacation resulting in delay (announced in advance). HF Signals (uBitx) was on a back order with their new kit till mid January.
Either way, all assembly instructions will b the same. Enjoy the new toy!


On Thu, Jan 9, 2020, 10:40 PM Leland L. Bahr <w5drc@...> wrote:

Yes, I now get it.  I now realize the customer never has a valid gripe.  He is always wrong.  He made all the mistakes.  His logic is flawed, and the seller never does anything wrong.   I get it.  You should never take a sellers comments as valid and make decisions based on them.  Sorry I bothered the group.  Won't do it anymore.  How stupid it was of me to think otherwise.  Won't make any more comments on here.  I'm done. 

Lee, w0vt

On 1/9/2020 9:28 PM, Roy Appleton wrote:
Jeez take a deep breath and get a grip! You started this whine fest!



On Thu, Jan 9, 2020, 8:42 PM Leland L. Bahr <w5drc@...> wrote:

Yes, I could have done a lot of things, but I would have done things differently if I knew all the facts.  We were told the boards were all gone and waiting on new ones to arrive sometime around the middle of January yet my unit was shipped Jan 8.  Doesn't sound to me like they "were out of boards".  This is to be my 5th QCX.  I am also not in any rush to receive my kit.  My life does not revolve around getting a QCX kit.  As to how many guys used printed manuals vs on line manuals.  Give me your scientific survey data backing up your claims.  You don't have any,  yet you pretend to claim my desires to use a printed manual are unreasonable.  In the end it doesn't really matter as I am the buyer and I like printed manuals.  Could care less what anyone else likes to use.   To be honest, I am pissed off and these groupie responses are making me even more pissed off.  I'll work through this and really don't need any more comments on how I am the unreasonable one.  I may just throw the whole damn thing in the trash. 

Lee, w0vt

On 1/9/2020 5:12 PM, ajparent1/KB1GMX wrote:
Myself I'd hold printing till I see it but, the REV5 is the shipped unit.

Do review the web page as there is both history and dates outlined
as well as what changes each rev adds.

The reason you got a suggestion to work from the screen over paper
is any changes or fixes (including documentation) are often incorporated
very quickly to the on line sources.

 I've built a few bits of QRPL gear and the web page is the reference
not here.  Though we have a lot of good people here that have built
them as well.  I really like the QCX I have.

Allison
-------------------------------
Please reply on list so we can share.
No direct email, it goes to bit bucket due address harvesting in groups.IO

Tony AE0KW
 

I just received my QCX-40 (shipped from Missouri) and it was a rev 5 board.

- Tony

On Thu, Jan 9, 2020 at 4:27 PM Leland L. Bahr <w5drc@...> wrote:

I decided to buy another QCX-40. I live in the US. I ordered the radio on Jan 1. I downloaded REV-5 Manual Jan 7. I got a shipment notice the radio was shipped from the US on Jan 8. No shipping info nor any serial number given. Just that it was shipped from the US. I recently read QCX boards were out of stock and not expected to be available again until the middle of January. So that is what I know. My concern is which manual do I use to build the radio once it gets here? Will I get a Rev-4 or Rev-5 board? I would hate to think I need to throw away the Rev-5 manual and have to reprint 9 zillion pages for a Rev-4 manual for a radio I have not yet received. If I had known about all this, I would not have printed out the BIG Rev-5 manual and had it bound until I knew which manual to download. Personally I think communications are poor!
Lee, w0vt

George Korper
 

The free one. 


On Thu, Jan 9, 2020, 9:40 PM Leland L. Bahr <w5drc@...> wrote:

Yes, I now get it.  I now realize the customer never has a valid gripe.  He is always wrong.  He made all the mistakes.  His logic is flawed, and the seller never does anything wrong.   I get it.  You should never take a sellers comments as valid and make decisions based on them.  Sorry I bothered the group.  Won't do it anymore.  How stupid it was of me to think otherwise.  Won't make any more comments on here.  I'm done. 

Lee, w0vt

On 1/9/2020 9:28 PM, Roy Appleton wrote:
Jeez take a deep breath and get a grip! You started this whine fest!



On Thu, Jan 9, 2020, 8:42 PM Leland L. Bahr <w5drc@...> wrote:

Yes, I could have done a lot of things, but I would have done things differently if I knew all the facts.  We were told the boards were all gone and waiting on new ones to arrive sometime around the middle of January yet my unit was shipped Jan 8.  Doesn't sound to me like they "were out of boards".  This is to be my 5th QCX.  I am also not in any rush to receive my kit.  My life does not revolve around getting a QCX kit.  As to how many guys used printed manuals vs on line manuals.  Give me your scientific survey data backing up your claims.  You don't have any,  yet you pretend to claim my desires to use a printed manual are unreasonable.  In the end it doesn't really matter as I am the buyer and I like printed manuals.  Could care less what anyone else likes to use.   To be honest, I am pissed off and these groupie responses are making me even more pissed off.  I'll work through this and really don't need any more comments on how I am the unreasonable one.  I may just throw the whole damn thing in the trash. 

Lee, w0vt

On 1/9/2020 5:12 PM, ajparent1/KB1GMX wrote:
Myself I'd hold printing till I see it but, the REV5 is the shipped unit.

Do review the web page as there is both history and dates outlined
as well as what changes each rev adds.

The reason you got a suggestion to work from the screen over paper
is any changes or fixes (including documentation) are often incorporated
very quickly to the on line sources.

 I've built a few bits of QRPL gear and the web page is the reference
not here.  Though we have a lot of good people here that have built
them as well.  I really like the QCX I have.

Allison
-------------------------------
Please reply on list so we can share.
No direct email, it goes to bit bucket due address harvesting in groups.IO

Paul AI4EE
 

Lee, I get it. I've been where you've been. But you haven't yet got to where I am, so here it is: You made a decision that turned out to be sub-optimal. For whatever reason, you decided that you weren't totally to blame for it, that you had been misled. Again, been there, done that.

Your next decision was also sub-optimal: You decided to take your dissatisfaction public, perhaps with the idea that QRP Labs would mend its ways if its customers complained. Had you waited until your ire died down, you very well might not have "gone public" at all.

What really pissed you off was that the "groupies" (derogatory term - it won't help your argument) didn't get pissed off along with you. At this point, you have apparently decided that everyone is against you. Not so. The biggest problem you've had is your own immoderation. Like I said, been there, done that. Lee, that doesn't work, and the only person who can change that is you.

I wish you well.


On 1/9/2020 10:40 PM, Leland L. Bahr wrote:

Yes, I now get it.  I now realize the customer never has a valid gripe.  He is always wrong.  He made all the mistakes.  His logic is flawed, and the seller never does anything wrong.   I get it.  You should never take a sellers comments as valid and make decisions based on them.  Sorry I bothered the group.  Won't do it anymore.  How stupid it was of me to think otherwise.  Won't make any more comments on here.  I'm done. 

Lee, w0vt

On 1/9/2020 9:28 PM, Roy Appleton wrote:
Jeez take a deep breath and get a grip! You started this whine fest!



On Thu, Jan 9, 2020, 8:42 PM Leland L. Bahr <w5drc@...> wrote:

Yes, I could have done a lot of things, but I would have done things differently if I knew all the facts.  We were told the boards were all gone and waiting on new ones to arrive sometime around the middle of January yet my unit was shipped Jan 8.  Doesn't sound to me like they "were out of boards".  This is to be my 5th QCX.  I am also not in any rush to receive my kit.  My life does not revolve around getting a QCX kit.  As to how many guys used printed manuals vs on line manuals.  Give me your scientific survey data backing up your claims.  You don't have any,  yet you pretend to claim my desires to use a printed manual are unreasonable.  In the end it doesn't really matter as I am the buyer and I like printed manuals.  Could care less what anyone else likes to use.   To be honest, I am pissed off and these groupie responses are making me even more pissed off.  I'll work through this and really don't need any more comments on how I am the unreasonable one.  I may just throw the whole damn thing in the trash. 

Lee, w0vt

On 1/9/2020 5:12 PM, ajparent1/KB1GMX wrote:
Myself I'd hold printing till I see it but, the REV5 is the shipped unit.

Do review the web page as there is both history and dates outlined
as well as what changes each rev adds.

The reason you got a suggestion to work from the screen over paper
is any changes or fixes (including documentation) are often incorporated
very quickly to the on line sources.

 I've built a few bits of QRPL gear and the web page is the reference
not here.  Though we have a lot of good people here that have built
them as well.  I really like the QCX I have.

Allison
-------------------------------
Please reply on list so we can share.
No direct email, it goes to bit bucket due address harvesting in groups.IO

Gary Bernard
 

Lee, me thinks your p    sin against the wind


On Jan 9, 2020, at 9:20 PM, Dennis Shelton <nadie1943@...> wrote:



Lee, I get it. I've been where you've been. But you haven't yet got to where I am, so here it is: You made a decision that turned out to be sub-optimal. For whatever reason, you decided that you weren't totally to blame for it, that you had been misled. Again, been there, done that.

Your next decision was also sub-optimal: You decided to take your dissatisfaction public, perhaps with the idea that QRP Labs would mend its ways if its customers complained. Had you waited until your ire died down, you very well might not have "gone public" at all.

What really pissed you off was that the "groupies" (derogatory term - it won't help your argument) didn't get pissed off along with you. At this point, you have apparently decided that everyone is against you. Not so. The biggest problem you've had is your own immoderation. Like I said, been there, done that. Lee, that doesn't work, and the only person who can change that is you.

I wish you well.


On 1/9/2020 10:40 PM, Leland L. Bahr wrote:

Yes, I now get it.  I now realize the customer never has a valid gripe.  He is always wrong.  He made all the mistakes.  His logic is flawed, and the seller never does anything wrong.   I get it.  You should never take a sellers comments as valid and make decisions based on them.  Sorry I bothered the group.  Won't do it anymore.  How stupid it was of me to think otherwise.  Won't make any more comments on here.  I'm done. 

Lee, w0vt

On 1/9/2020 9:28 PM, Roy Appleton wrote:
Jeez take a deep breath and get a grip! You started this whine fest!



On Thu, Jan 9, 2020, 8:42 PM Leland L. Bahr <w5drc@...> wrote:

Yes, I could have done a lot of things, but I would have done things differently if I knew all the facts.  We were told the boards were all gone and waiting on new ones to arrive sometime around the middle of January yet my unit was shipped Jan 8.  Doesn't sound to me like they "were out of boards".  This is to be my 5th QCX.  I am also not in any rush to receive my kit.  My life does not revolve around getting a QCX kit.  As to how many guys used printed manuals vs on line manuals.  Give me your scientific survey data backing up your claims.  You don't have any,  yet you pretend to claim my desires to use a printed manual are unreasonable.  In the end it doesn't really matter as I am the buyer and I like printed manuals.  Could care less what anyone else likes to use.   To be honest, I am pissed off and these groupie responses are making me even more pissed off.  I'll work through this and really don't need any more comments on how I am the unreasonable one.  I may just throw the whole damn thing in the trash. 

Lee, w0vt

On 1/9/2020 5:12 PM, ajparent1/KB1GMX wrote:
Myself I'd hold printing till I see it but, the REV5 is the shipped unit.

Do review the web page as there is both history and dates outlined
as well as what changes each rev adds.

The reason you got a suggestion to work from the screen over paper
is any changes or fixes (including documentation) are often incorporated
very quickly to the on line sources.

 I've built a few bits of QRPL gear and the web page is the reference
not here.  Though we have a lot of good people here that have built
them as well.  I really like the QCX I have.

Allison
-------------------------------
Please reply on list so we can share.
No direct email, it goes to bit bucket due address harvesting in groups.IO

Hans Summers
 

Hi Lee

Take it easy, dude. I think you could have emailed me privately and I could have answered this easily; but given that you chose instead to email the discussion forum, then you have to expect and accept all kinds of responses in good spirit. 

The boards shipped from US are the new Rev 5. They match the Rev 5 manual. They just happen to have reached US faster than they reached me. 

Stock in US is not guaranteed, if your order happens to ship from US, because the combination of items you ordered happens to be available, then just be pleased that it will arrive faster, see it as an additional bonus. 

Generally regarding QCX PCB revisions. A revision increment does NOT indicate a new radio or any major new functionality. There is no need to rush out and get a Rev 5, nor any need to be upset if you happen to have recently bought a Rev 4. The PCB revisions are minor. Just opportunities to slightly improve one thing or another.

In the case of Rev 5: the three components (two resistors and one diode) for the serial port for CAT control are now part of the PCB and supplied components. Three components were removed, which is the DC blocking capacitor and the mid rail (2.5V) potential divider consisting if two 10K resistors, at the "AUDIO1" signal to one of the processor ADC inputs. It was noted in this discussion forum a month or two ago that the DC bias voltage on both sides of the DC blocking capacitor is 2.5V which renders the DC blocking and re-establishment of the 2.5V bias, superfluous. By removing these 3 components, I could add the 3 for CAT control without increasing the total parts count, complexity or manufacturing cost. 

Regarding communications, the handling of pre-announcements is a very tricky thing. I have learned that to my cost, when news of the QSX development became known. I should have just ignored it completely and let the rumours fly and then die down after a while. Instead I published a web page detailing the QSX project and accordingly I multiplied the pressure and stress by a factor of 30. 

I have similar problems too, every time I do a firmware upgrade. There are always people who just bought the previous version and now they're upset that there's a new version out. Even though the improvements are usually incremental and perhaps (probably, even) of no consequence to them. 

So what am I to do? If I pre-announce the intention to provide a firmware upgrade, then I'm resigning myself to all the pressure and stress that goes along with a "deadline" (even if it was only ever a rough estimate) and increased email deluge from people wanting to know when the new firmware upgrade is ready etc. And anyone who wrote any significant complexity of software will know, it's very hard to know how long something will take you to get right. The same applies similarly to hardware. 

Meanwhile if I had pre-announced it then a significant section of people will wait before their purchase. A proportion of those will forget all about it and never end up purchasing (this is my actual experience). That harms the business. This is not an EASY way to make money anyway and it is my full time job and my family's sustenance. So it is important to me. 

And even if I do pre-announce it, then there will STILL be people that are upset because they purchased just before the pre-announcement. So this is also not a way to magically win this one anyway. 

But if I don't pre-announce then someone gets upset because of NOT knowing. 

Overall there this is a lose-lose situation, there is no solution which can avoid someone somewhere being upset. 

Actually the only solution is at the customer end... the increments (PCB revisions, firmware upgrades) are minor improvements. There's nothing wrong with previous versions. So the only solution is actually for you the purchaser to take it easy and remember, this is a hobby... and understand there's no perfect way to run this to everyone's ideal satisfaction. They're great kits at a great price, a combination of performance, features, documentation and support at a very low price; a combination that simply does not exist in any other similar kit available today or ever. 

Back to QCX Rev 5 PCB... as I mentioned, the improvements are minor; I do believe all the information is actually on the QCX web page anyway... and Lee in your specific case I believe you have printed the Rev 5 manual which is correct for what you will receive, anyway. 

73 Hans G0UPL 

Viktors Miske KC8CKZ
 

Nicely said... 


On Fri, Jan 10, 2020, 2:47 AM Hans Summers <hans.summers@...> wrote:
Hi Lee

Take it easy, dude. I think you could have emailed me privately and I could have answered this easily; but given that you chose instead to email the discussion forum, then you have to expect and accept all kinds of responses in good spirit. 

The boards shipped from US are the new Rev 5. They match the Rev 5 manual. They just happen to have reached US faster than they reached me. 

Stock in US is not guaranteed, if your order happens to ship from US, because the combination of items you ordered happens to be available, then just be pleased that it will arrive faster, see it as an additional bonus. 

Generally regarding QCX PCB revisions. A revision increment does NOT indicate a new radio or any major new functionality. There is no need to rush out and get a Rev 5, nor any need to be upset if you happen to have recently bought a Rev 4. The PCB revisions are minor. Just opportunities to slightly improve one thing or another.

In the case of Rev 5: the three components (two resistors and one diode) for the serial port for CAT control are now part of the PCB and supplied components. Three components were removed, which is the DC blocking capacitor and the mid rail (2.5V) potential divider consisting if two 10K resistors, at the "AUDIO1" signal to one of the processor ADC inputs. It was noted in this discussion forum a month or two ago that the DC bias voltage on both sides of the DC blocking capacitor is 2.5V which renders the DC blocking and re-establishment of the 2.5V bias, superfluous. By removing these 3 components, I could add the 3 for CAT control without increasing the total parts count, complexity or manufacturing cost. 

Regarding communications, the handling of pre-announcements is a very tricky thing. I have learned that to my cost, when news of the QSX development became known. I should have just ignored it completely and let the rumours fly and then die down after a while. Instead I published a web page detailing the QSX project and accordingly I multiplied the pressure and stress by a factor of 30. 

I have similar problems too, every time I do a firmware upgrade. There are always people who just bought the previous version and now they're upset that there's a new version out. Even though the improvements are usually incremental and perhaps (probably, even) of no consequence to them. 

So what am I to do? If I pre-announce the intention to provide a firmware upgrade, then I'm resigning myself to all the pressure and stress that goes along with a "deadline" (even if it was only ever a rough estimate) and increased email deluge from people wanting to know when the new firmware upgrade is ready etc. And anyone who wrote any significant complexity of software will know, it's very hard to know how long something will take you to get right. The same applies similarly to hardware. 

Meanwhile if I had pre-announced it then a significant section of people will wait before their purchase. A proportion of those will forget all about it and never end up purchasing (this is my actual experience). That harms the business. This is not an EASY way to make money anyway and it is my full time job and my family's sustenance. So it is important to me. 

And even if I do pre-announce it, then there will STILL be people that are upset because they purchased just before the pre-announcement. So this is also not a way to magically win this one anyway. 

But if I don't pre-announce then someone gets upset because of NOT knowing. 

Overall there this is a lose-lose situation, there is no solution which can avoid someone somewhere being upset. 

Actually the only solution is at the customer end... the increments (PCB revisions, firmware upgrades) are minor improvements. There's nothing wrong with previous versions. So the only solution is actually for you the purchaser to take it easy and remember, this is a hobby... and understand there's no perfect way to run this to everyone's ideal satisfaction. They're great kits at a great price, a combination of performance, features, documentation and support at a very low price; a combination that simply does not exist in any other similar kit available today or ever. 

Back to QCX Rev 5 PCB... as I mentioned, the improvements are minor; I do believe all the information is actually on the QCX web page anyway... and Lee in your specific case I believe you have printed the Rev 5 manual which is correct for what you will receive, anyway. 

73 Hans G0UPL