Topics

the keying thump QCX

Brien Pepperdine <brianpepperdine@...>

So, I did the mod on my 40m QCX a couple weeks ago.. replacing the original 10 uf electrolytic caps with the recommended 1 uf ceramic caps at C21 and C22 (IIRC).

Anyhow, though it is not what it was before, there still remains a bit of a thump on the keying. Is this the way it is...do others experience this?

I think I would find it fatiguing over time... in fact I did have a (rare) 45 minute rag-chew QSO last week - but not on the QCX.

Which is to say that if this was lessened to the tolerable level/removed then I would love to pair it up with the new 50 watt amp.

Anyhow, comments are welcome. I will admit I hear the same sort of thing on the Dave Benson DDS rigs from around 2002 or so.

72

Brian VE3VAW

Hans Summers

Hi Brian

What is your firmware version? Version 1.02 improved things in this regard too.

73 Hans G0UPL
http://qrp-labs.com

On Thu, Dec 12, 2019 at 3:48 PM Brien Pepperdine <brianpepperdine@...> wrote:

So, I did the mod on my 40m QCX a couple weeks ago.. replacing the original 10 uf electrolytic caps with the recommended 1 uf ceramic caps at C21 and C22 (IIRC).

Anyhow, though it is not what it was before, there still remains a bit of a thump on the keying. Is this the way it is...do others experience this?

I think I would find it fatiguing over time... in fact I did have a (rare) 45 minute rag-chew QSO last week - but not on the QCX.

Which is to say that if this was lessened to the tolerable level/removed then I would love to pair it up with the new 50 watt amp.

Anyhow, comments are welcome. I will admit I hear the same sort of thing on the Dave Benson DDS rigs from around 2002 or so.

72

Brian VE3VAW

Brien Pepperdine <brianpepperdine@...>

Version is 1.00e.... which I knew was old and the intention of course was to order a new chip from QRPLabs... so I will do so forthwith. Probably get amp too at same time unless the amp orders are too stacked up.

From what I can see this was a fairly recent improvement though for sidetone? Nov 2019?

1.02 06.Nov.2019 - Eliminate the faint “Woodpecker” clicking when S-meter active, tuning or CW decoder updates
- Eliminate click at start end end of sidetone audio burst (that was due to sudden change in DC bias)

tnx

Brian VE3VAW

[...]

Yes, that's correct.

I have produced 500 of the new 50W PA kit and 200 of the enclosures for it. Yes people are ordering but it's early days. I did build 3 of the kits myself, one per day for the last three days... one for 40m, one for 30m and one for 20m. I used those to produce the assembly instructions and validate them, as well as make the measurements for each band.

I am pleased to report that all 50W PA three kits I built, had the correct complement of components, and all three worked perfectly first time. I also assembled one in an enclosure which also went perfectly.

73 Hans G0UPL
http://qrp-labs.com

On Thu, Dec 12, 2019 at 3:57 PM Brien Pepperdine <brianpepperdine@...> wrote:

Version is 1.00e.... which I knew was old and the intention of course was to order a new chip from QRPLabs... so I will do so forthwith. Probably get amp too at same time unless the amp orders are too stacked up.

From what I can see this was a fairly recent improvement though for sidetone? Nov 2019?

[...]

Skip Davis

Thanks Hans I just finished reading the documentation for your new amplifier kit. As usual a great assembly manual with in-depth explanation of the theory of operation for the amplifier.

Skip NC9O