Topics

New qcx build, and problems

Dave Edwards

Just finished my QCX yesterday....No joy!!

Can anyone tell me if the Clk2 signal at IC3, pin 10 should be there even before entering into alignment?

(clk0, and clk1 are).

I had no signal during Peak BPF ...on display, or headphones.

Thanks all!

....Dave

Richard G4TGJ

Clk0 and clk1 are used on receive.
Clk2 is used on transmit.
Richard
G4TGJ

Richard G4TGJ

Clk2 is also used during alignment.
Richard
G4TGJ

Richard G4TGJ

So, in case it's not clear, the answer is no.
Is it there during alignment?
Richard
G4TGJ

Ronald Taylor

Dave, actually CLK2 signal SHOULD be on pin 10 of IC3 all the time. But it should only be on pin 8, as well as coming into the antenna port end of the low pass filter and into the receiver when in the alignment mode. This mode is turned on when a high from the microprocessor comes in to pin 9 of IC3.

You should probably check continuity through the bandpass filter as a starting point. If all that looks good then check out Hans’ troubleshooting procedure on the website. It tells some steps to take to troubleshoot the receiver front end.

73..... Ron

On Mon, Dec 9, 2019 at 07:41 Dave Edwards <kd2e@...> wrote:

Just finished my QCX yesterday....No joy!!

Can anyone tell me if the Clk2 signal at IC3, pin 10 should be there even before entering into alignment?

(clk0, and clk1 are).

I had no signal during Peak BPF ...on display, or headphones.

Thanks all!

....Dave

Richard G4TGJ

I've just checked my QCX and there is only a signal on pin 10 in alignment mode. There is no signal in receive mode. I didn't check transmit.
Richard
G4TGJ

Dave Edwards

Thanks Richard.....Some more time at the bench today, and I also found what you noted.

So, I have my clk2!!   :-)

Buzzing out my transformer showed that winding 2 is not making continuity at the specified pads.

So, I pulled it out, and will rewind/reinstall tomorrow.

Got my fingers crossed that this is the culprit!!

....Dave

On 12/9/19 5:48 PM, Richard G4TGJ wrote:
I've just checked my QCX and there is only a signal on pin 10 in alignment mode. There is no signal in receive mode. I didn't check transmit.
Richard
G4TGJ

Dave Edwards

Ron...that is what I thought. That is how I read it.  The high from the cpu AND gates the clk2 signal along to antenna.

But....

I was told pin 10 of IC3 is active only when in alignment mode.

What's more....I tested that out, and the clock signal only showed up at pin 10 when I was in alignment mode.  I don't get it!!

But....I was buzzing out the transformer, and found my winding 2 to not be making the correct continuity. So....I'll rewind that tomorrow, and give it another

go.

Thanks for chiming in!

....Dave

On 12/9/19 5:16 PM, Ronald Taylor wrote:
[...]

I stand corrected. Just checked my working QCX20 and indeed CLK2 is not coming out of IC1 at all unless in alignment mode or when transmitting. I really thought it was there all the time. Sorry to add to the confusion. Glad you found this issue with windings. Good luck with that. It’s a great rig. Hope you enjoy using it after it’s all done… 73 … Ron

On Mon, Dec 9, 2019 at 4:07 PM Dave Edwards <kd2e@...> wrote:

[...]

To all;

Just wanted to dot I's/ cross T's on information about my QCX that I finished 2 days ago.

My initial post indicated I had problems when starting Peak BPF.  I was told to double check toroids/transformers.

Sure enough, my 2nd winding on the transformer was not making continuity on the board, where it should.

I yanked it, and re-wound it....using the suggestion to use two different colors of magnet wire.  This made it MUCH easier to

identify the wires.  Resoldered the transformer, went back to the alignments, and YIPPEE!!  All went by the book!   No sooner did my

iron cool off, and I made a contact with a WB8, who said the tone was beautiful, and 589 signal

Cool Beans!!!

....Dave

On 12/9/19 6:07 PM, Dave Edwards wrote:

[...]

SkipF, NT1G <skip.flem@...>

Never seen magnet wire available by color...
Perhaps a task for a 'sharpie' marker?

Dave Edwards

Yellow, green, red...I have different colors in various gauges.

....Dave

On 12/11/19 4:19 PM, SkipF, NT1G wrote:
Never seen magnet wire available by color...
Perhaps a task for a 'sharpie' marker?

SkipF, NT1G <skip.flem@...>

Great news. I have several spools of 'Phelps Dodge' copper
 products. All HAPTZ (the good stuff).
Where did you buy this colored wire?
THANKS for the info.

On Wed, Dec 11, 2019, 4:46 PM Dave Edwards <kd2e@...> wrote:

Yellow, green, red...I have different colors in various gauges.

....Dave

On 12/11/19 4:19 PM, SkipF, NT1G wrote:
Never seen magnet wire available by color...
Perhaps a task for a 'sharpie' marker?

Dave Edwards

Got mine many years ago. But I checked.....you can get small spools on Amazon, for a fair price.

Yellow, green, red on this page,

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=28+gauge+magnet+wire&crid=1XS537N4I1I8&sprefix=28+gauge+magn%2Caps%2C141&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_13

Here is my transformer. I used kaptan tape to hold the start and end of the big winding, alternate two colors so I could better see what I was doing

when pushing the wires into their correct locations. Forgot to remove the tape, but...doesn't matter...just looks messy!!