Topics

WSPR, what am I doing wrong?

Brent DeWitt

I've been using my 40 mtr QCX for a few weeks now and have been constantly impressed by the quality and value.  Thank you Hans!

Yesterday I received and built the OLG1 GPS module and wired it up to the QCX.  Frequency calibration went smoothly and I appear to be within 1 Hz of zero-beating WWV at 10 MHz with the signal generator.  Then I tried to set up a WSPR beacon.

I believe I followed the setup instructions in the user manual and all the menus look "as advised".  I must be missing something though.  Returning from the menu the display reads "WSPR call" and none of the information shown in the manual.  As might be expected, it never transmits either.

Here's what I've checked and know:
- The QCX transmits fine, at about 4 Watts, with a straight key or iambic paddle, so those input lines are clear.  I can monitor the output power in a roughly calibrated manner.
- The OLG1 serial data is as-expected into a serial terminal (TeraTerm) on the PC and the 1 pps is apparently working from the success of the frequency calibration.
- The QCX is running T1.02b firmware and all other functions I've tried seem to work.

So, at this point, I'm pretty well convinced it's operator error.  Any thoughts/corrections would be welcome.

Brent DeWitt, AB1LF
Milford, MA

N3MNT

Did you add the space after your call when entering it?  The call must be XX#XXX even if your call is only 5 characters.

Brent DeWitt

Well, no.  I added a space in front of the call as Hans did for his 5 character call in the manual.  I'll try it the other way around.
--
Brent DeWitt, AB1LF
Milford, MA

Brent DeWitt

That was it!  I was an idiot and didn't read the "rules" carefully enough.  Leading with a space only works if you have a _single_ character before a number, otherwise it needs to be at the end.  Thank you _very_ much!
--
Brent DeWitt, AB1LF
Milford, MA

N3MNT

Glad it worked.

geoff M0ORE

You may want to consider reducing your output power. 4 Watts is a bit high for WSPR. Most good operators use 1 watt or less. High power defeats the object of WSPR.

Geoff

On 05/12/2019 20:51, Brent DeWitt wrote:
That was it!  I was an idiot and didn't read the "rules" carefully enough.  Leading with a space only works if you have a _single_ character before a number, otherwise it needs to be at the end.  Thank you _very_ much!
--
Brent DeWitt, AB1LF
Milford, MA

Vernon Matheson

Did you put it in beacon mode

On 2019-12-05 18:48, Brent DeWitt wrote:
[...]

You have a very valid point.  In the case of the QCX, without hacking, the input voltage could be reduced to about 7 volts and still provide the 5 volt rail, so that's about 35% of 12 volt power.  5 watt 10dB pad would probably be the best solution since I don't have to receive through it.  I really got the OLG for frequency calibration and don't plan to beacon on a regular basis, so the pad would work out well.
--
Brent DeWitt, AB1LF
Milford, MA

BrianB

Re: WSPR Power

Some of us have done the <1mW challenge. It’s amazing how far one can be heard using less than a milliwatt. I was routinely heard in China from the California.

Humm. I think I’ll get my super low power U3S out this weekend and put it on the air.

73,
BrianB
N6CVO

Don DeGregori

Brent,
I found a very small black heat sink with fins. It fits across all 3 BS170's. I used a piece of double backed tape.
It is meant for passing heat to the sink. I'll find the name of it. I'm running about 5 watts and now just a bit warm.

Don