Topics

QCX 20 off frequency

George Korper

Hi All,
I just assembled a second QCX 20. The first unit is working well and made contacts,etc.
The second unit transmits 2 KHZ up the band  and likewise receives 2 KHZ
down the band. I have checked for solder joints, etc. and the receiver works but
the second stage of alignment is not working well. This unit has the 1.01 firmware.
Need help before I troubleshoot without narrowing this down.
Thanks,
George

N3MNT

Check out the freq adjustment section of the manual on page 100.  That is where you would adjust it.

George Korper

I have reset to defaults. Is this an alignment issue? The problem is on transmit. 

On Fri, Nov 29, 2019, 3:00 PM Chopper <bob@...> wrote:
Check out the freq adjustment section of the manual on page 100.  That is where you would adjust it.

ajparent1/KB1GMX

Apparent problem is TX...

My first bet is RIT is enabled and so big value dialed in.

--
Please reply on list so we can share.
Off list email goes to trash, I had to due to scrapers.

James Daldry W4JED

Hi, George

Manual page 100, item 8.5. You have to adjust the 27 Mhz oscillator frequency. Change it a khz and see where you're at. A little math, and you can set it to 0 hz offset.

Jim W4JED

On 11/29/19 3:46 PM, George Korper wrote:
Hi All,
I just assembled a second QCX 20. The first unit is working well and made contacts,etc.
down the band. I have checked for solder joints, etc. and the receiver works but
the second stage of alignment is not working well. This unit has the 1.01 firmware.
Thanks,
George

George Korper

Thank you Jim and Allison, I have checked the RIT and it was O.00, and swapped out the firmware.
It was not the firmware. I did re-calibrate and set the crystal to 26,998. That worked.I have built three
kits and this one has been a little cranky. I switched solder and went up a little higher in wattage.
Big mistake, my old Weller was doing just fine.So I wonder have either of you seen crystals this low in freq. , because my two
previous kits were dead nuts at 27,004. Could the heat on my iron be too high and affected  the crystal?
I went from 25 to 45 watts.

SkipF, NT1G <skip.flem@...>

Soldering iron temp is only 'loosely' related to the power.
Just as replacing a 50 hp engine with a 100hp doesn't
mean your car will 'overspeed'. It 'could' but it shouldn't.
And I've never seen 'quartz' as sensitive to soldering as some
earlier solid state bonding/interconnect technology.

N3MNT

The alignment section on page 100 says the 27MHz crystals can vary slightly and the menu item is provided to correct for the variances.

Priyasloka Arya

N

On Sat, 30 Nov 2019, 02:16 George Korper, <georgekorper@...> wrote:
Hi All,
Thanks,
George