Latest 3D printed case for the GPS Clock

Jim Sheldon

Made one for a real close friend (N0XM) as a Christmas present. He said his favorite color was Navy Blue, so I got some Navy Blue printer filament and printed him a case. Put the programming switches on the back of the case and added the lettering "Satellite Time" just below the 4 line display. Printed the lettering in Gold and it really came out nice. Anyone that has a 3D printer can email me (w0eb(at)cox.net) and request the 3D printer ".stl" files and I'll gladly provide them.

Jim - W0EB

John Canfield <bucket@...>

Nice job! You could share the file on Thingverse.
--
John, WB5THT

Jim Sheldon

Hi John,
Thanks.  I did share an earlier version with S1 and S2 on the front panel on Thingiverse some time ago and one for using the small display as well, but this one was modified yesterday and was so busy printing the case for N0XM's Christmas present (total takes a full day with just one printer - but I have 2) that I decided to test the waters and see if any QRP-Labs users wanted it.  I don't get a lot of feedback from the "grabbers" off of Thingiverse - LOL.  I'll put the revised version (switches on back of the case & added front panel lettering) up on Thingiverse sometime later today if I get time.

Here's the zip file if you want it.  That way you won't have to hunt for it.  Layer change instructions to use different color filament for the lettering is included in the readme.txt file included in the zip.

Jim - W0EB

On 2019-12-05 7:32 p.m., Rick Williams - VE7TK via Groups.Io wrote:

Many thanks  for posting this Jim  I convinced a friend print it and the case is very impressive. Well designed and an efficient use of space.

Thanks again.
--
73, Rick
VE7TK

Jim Sheldon

Hi Rick,
Thanks.  Hey, I just put it out there for the community.  What you did or do with ain't my problem - LOL.  In ham radio & gadgets, there is so much that can be done with a 3D printer, we've just scratched the surface - LOL.  I got my first 3D printer for my birthday back in April of this year and I haven't looked back.  I do have 2 of the Creality Ender 3 printers and having 2 of them sure helps on parts like the clock case that have pieces that take 5-6 hours to print.  You can print the long time part on one and 2 or 3 of the shorter print jobs on the other one.  I can get one case done in about 3/4 of a day that way.

73 and enjoy it.

Jim

On 2019-12-05 7:32 p.m., Rick Williams - VE7TK via Groups.Io wrote:

Many thanks  for posting this Jim  I convinced a friend print it and the case is very impressive. Well designed and an efficient use of space.

Thanks again.
--
73, Rick
VE7TK

Jody - K3JZD

Hi Jim,

I recently downloaded your design files and printed a case for my GPS Clock. I customized mine by adding my call sign at the bottom where you had put 'Satellite Time".   I did the change to a contrasting Filament Color for the raised lettering on the front panel.  It took me quite a few tries to get my front panel to where I was happy with it.,  I kept getting a messy "P" in 'GPS'.  I notice in these pictures that yours is like that.  Perhaps that has puzzled you also.  As a FYI, I concluded that it was being caused by the Marlin software that handles the Filament Color Change sequence.  What I did to solve it was to add a Manual Step into my Filament Color Change routine.   After I have done several of the "Extrudes" to insure that the Nozzle was producing the new color, I then manually pull the Filament  back about 5mm at the Extruder BEFORE I select "Resume Printing".    What that does is takes the pressure off of the Nozzle so that it does put down too much filament at the "P" in "GPS" (which through the magic of the slicing software, happens to be the first place that the Nozzle goes to whenever starting the new layer).

I entered a 'Feature Request' at the Marlin project site asking them to have that '5mm Filament Retract' added into their Filament  Color Change routine.  But, that may not happen as they are now working on Marlin Version 2.0 software, and we are all using Marlin Version 1.x.x.  So, for now, we just need to remember to do that Manual Filament  Retract Step whenever we are changing Filament  colors..

73,
Jody - K3JZD