Topics

QCX firmware upgrade instructions for USBASP and Extreme Burner #qcx #firmware

qrp@...

I've just successfully upgraded to 1.02b. I couldn't find definitive instructions for my particular setup so before I forget here they are. I hope someone else gains benefit from them. The only cost was the USBASP which totalled just over £2!

MY SETUP
  • QCX 40
  • Win10 (32 bit)
  • 10 Pin Convert to Standard 6 Pin Adapter Board+USBASP USBISP AVR Programmer USB
    Extreme burner
  • Zadig USB driver for above
  • Latest QCX firmware
SOURCES
10 Pin Convert to Standard 6 Pin Adapter Board+USBASP USBISP AVR Programmer USB
Extreme burner
Zadig USB driver
QCX 1.02b Firmware

METHOD
Preparation - PC
  • Install Extreme Burner
  • There is an extra .xml file in the zip called chips.xml which contains the support for the QCX ATmega328 chip. Copy this file to the program files/extreme burner - AVR/data and overwrite the existing chips.xml file in there
  • Open Extreme Burner and select the ATmega328 from the top menu "chip"
  • Plug the USBASP into a USB port (I used a USB extension lead so I could easily connect it to the QCX) The USBASP  red LEDs should light up
  • Install the Zadig software and install the driver
  • Download and extract the QCX firmware .hex file onto your desktop or somewhere you can easily find it, don't load it yet.
Preparation - QCX
  • Power off the QCX
  • Expose the 6 way ASP header (if the QCX is in a case), it is situated next to the power connector on the top of the PCB
  • Insert the 6 to 10 pin converter onto the header, the 10 way header keyway slot should face into the middle of the PCB
  • Carefully connect the ribbon cable between the USBASP  and the 6 to 10 pin converter
The firmware upgrade
  • Power up the QCX
  • Firstly, check Extreme Burner is communicating with the ATmega328 chip by pressing the READ ALL Icon in Extreme Burner, this action should successfully download the current contents of the ATmega328 chip
  • Now load the QCX firmware .hex file using the OPEN icon in Extreme Burner, you will see all the addresses populate as it loads
  • You should not have adjusted any other parameter in Extreme Burner, the Flash tab should still be displayed
  • Press the WRITE ALL icon and wait until Extreme Burner indicates success
  • Power off the QCX
  • Power on the QCX and 1.02b (or which ever firmware you uploaded) should display during boot - you are done!
Notes
  • During Read and Write, Extreme Burner always displayed the message "Incorrect chip found, continue?" which I did. It could be just my setup or ignorance but it did not affect either read or write.
  • This was performed on a 32 bit PC. I started on a 64 bit machine but I found that I had to disable a security element regarding unsigned drivers. If you only have a 64 bit machine this is easily done, I just happened to have a 32 bit machine available.
I hope this is of some help to others, this was my first upgrade attempt and frankly very easy indeed.

73s Ted
2E0THH

Mikael Dagman

This is a good guide, Extremeburner is the best program looking at its intuitive interface for avrdude compared to others , thats in imho ofc :)

one essential piece of information to ge the usbasp running under win10 is to get the correct driver installed using zadig, use the lib-usbwin32(v1.2.6.0) driver - se picture

also drop this chips.xml in (unrar first) "C:\Program Files\eXtreme Burner - AVR\Data"  or just ad this to the chips.xml

-<CHIP>

<NAME>ATmega328P</NAME>

<FLASH>32768</FLASH>

<EEPROM>1024</EEPROM>

<SIG>0x000F951E</SIG>

<PAGE>64</PAGE>

<LFUSE layout="2">YES</LFUSE>

<HFUSE layout="5">YES</HFUSE>

<EFUSE layout="4">YES</EFUSE>

<LOCK>YES</LOCK>

<CALIB>YES</CALIB>

<PLACEMENT>.\Images\Placements\ZIF_DIP_40.bmp</PLACEMENT>

</CHIP>

-<CHIP>

<NAME>ATmega328PB</NAME>

<FLASH>32768</FLASH>