Topics

QCX firmware upgrade instructions #qcx #firmware

qrp@...

I know this must have been asked a million times but are there definitive instructions to upgrade the firmware?
I've gone square eyed looking for them and can't find any reference in the manual.

I'll be using:
  • Win10 (32 bit)
  • 10 Pin Convert to Standard 6 Pin Adapter Board+USBASP USBISP AVR Programmer USB
    Extreme burner
  • Zadig drivers
  • Latest QCX firmware
I assume the QCX needs to be powered up during the upgrade?

Apologies in advance but I have never done this before and terrified of bricking my QCX!

73s Ted
2E0THH

Gregg Myers

Hello.

Yes, the QCX must be powered up as normal. I do not recommend trying to power it through the programmer. If you want to follow my instructions. You can find them attached which should be similar to what you have if you are using with an AVR programmer. As long as you understand what you are doing, it should all be fine.

Good luck and 73!

Gregg W7GRM

On Wed, Nov 13, 2019 at 4:45 PM <qrp@...> wrote:
I know this must have been asked a million times but are there definitive instructions to upgrade the firmware?
I've gone square eyed looking for them and can't find any reference in the manual.

I'll be using:
  • Win10 (32 bit)
  • 10 Pin Convert to Standard 6 Pin Adapter Board+USBASP USBISP AVR Programmer USB
    Extreme burner
  • Zadig drivers
  • Latest QCX firmware
I assume the QCX needs to be powered up during the upgrade?

Apologies in advance but I have never done this before and terrified of bricking my QCX!

73s Ted
2E0THH

Alan G4ZFQ

I know this must have been asked a million times but are there definitive instructions to upgrade the firmware?
Ted,

There are links on the web pages and some in the Files area of this group.

Definitive? Not really unless someone is using exactly what you have available. There are so many permutations of adaptor and software.
https://sites.google.com/site/g4zfqradio/qrplabs_program_chip_with_USBasp is my way using a USBasp but with Avrdudess.
Avrdudess is used by many here, it is a GUI for Avrdude Geoff shows.

I assume the QCX needs to be powered up during the upgrade?
Yes, again variations in the instructions. A USBasp will not power a QCX but you must make sure the 5 volts it does supply is not connected to the QCX.

73 Alan G4ZFQ

qrp@...

All done, it was far easier than I imagined.
Many thanks for your help.

73s Ted
2E0THH