Topics

So, what's the new kit?

Ted Timmons

For the people who went to Friedrichshafen, what's the new QRPLabs kit?

Master Ice <special@...>

Hi Hans.

Prepare for the flood I'd say!
Sounds like another QRPlabs 'must have'.

I'm looking forward to it appearing in the shop

Slim Haines G4IPZ
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, August 03, 2017 11:52 AM
Subject: Re: [QRPLabs] So, what's the new kit?

Hi Ted

I was there ;-)    And now the RSGB now have it on video, see http://rsgb.org/main/about-us/yota-2017/watch-our-vlogs/ ... so I guess the secret's out and you should hear it from me ;-)

This kit will be ready and on sale in about 2 weeks, and costs $49 (approx 41 euros, 37 UK pounds). NO more pre-orders, please wait until it is in the shop.

The kit is a single band 5W CW transceiver kit with lots of features. It also contains a WSPR beacon mode. I'm attaching a photo of the prototype with and without the LCD module, because it doesn't show well in the video. List of features:

Easy to build, single-board design, 10 x 8cm, all are controls board-mounted
Professional quality double-sided, through-hole plated, silk-screen printed PCB
Choice of single band, 80, 40, 30, 20 or 17m
Approximately 3..5W CW output (depending on supply voltage)
12..15V supply voltage
Class E power amplifier, transistors run cool… even with no heatsinks
Good 7-element Low Pass Filter to ensure regulatory compliance
CW envelope shaping to remove key clicks
High performance receiver with at 50+ dB of unwanted sideband cancellation
200Hz CW filter without ringing
Si5351A Synthesized VFO with rotary encoder tuning
16 x 2 blue backlight LCD screen
Iambic keyer or straight key option included in the firmware
Simple Digital Signal Processing for a CW decoder, displayed real-time on-screen
On-screen S-meter
Full or semi QSK operation using fast solid-state transmit/receive switching
Frequency presets, VFO A/B Split operation, RIT, configurable CW Offset
Configurable sidetone frequency and volume
Connectors: Power, 3.5mm keyer jack, 3.5mm stereo earphone jack, BNC RF output 
Onboard microswitch can be used as a simple straight Morse key 
Built-in test signal generator and alignment tools to complete simple set-up adjustments
Built-in test equipment: voltmeter, RF power meter, frequency counter, signal generator
Beacon mode, supporting automatic CW or WSPR operation
GPS interface for reference frequency calibration and time-keeping (for WSPR beacon)

73 Hans G0UPL
http://qrp-labs.com

Virus-free. www.avast.com

James Anderson

I MUST HAVE THIS..!!!!!!! 

On 3 Aug 2017, at 12:11, Master Ice <special@...> wrote:

Hi Hans.

Slim Haines G4IPZ

Hi Ted

I was there ;-)    And now the RSGB now have it on video, see http://rsgb.org/main/about-us/yota-2017/watch-our-vlogs/ ... so I guess the secret's out and you should hear it from me ;-)

This kit will be ready and on sale in about 2 weeks, and costs $49 (approx 41 euros, 37 UK pounds). NO more pre-orders, please wait until it is in the shop.

The kit is a single band 5W CW transceiver kit with lots of features. It also contains a WSPR beacon mode. I'm attaching a photo of the prototype with and without the LCD module, because it doesn't show well in the video. List of features:

12..15V supply voltage
Simple Digital Signal Processing for a CW decoder, displayed real-time on-screen
On-screen S-meter
Built-in test signal generator and alignment tools to complete simple set-up adjustments
Built-in test equipment: voltmeter, RF power meter, frequency counter, signal generator
GPS interface for reference frequency calibration and time-keeping (for WSPR beacon)

73 Hans G0UPL

Hans Summers

I just put a page up on the QRP Labs website about the new kit http://qrp-labs.com/qcx.html

Nothing much there yet, apart from the same list of features I posted earlier, and the RSGB video. I added the two photos I sent earlier, and one more which shows menu item 9.5, the Frequency Counter facility, measuring the signal generated by menu item 9.6, the Signal Generator! The signal generator is set to 6MHz but since I had not connected my QLG1 GPS to calibrate the 27MHz synth reference or the 20MHz system clock, both the generated signal and the measured frequency are a little off frequency in that photo. 

73 Hans G0UPL

On Thu, Aug 3, 2017 at 2:50 PM, James Anderson <james21170@...> wrote:
I MUST HAVE THIS..!!!!!!! 

On 3 Aug 2017, at 12:11, Master Ice <special@...> wrote:

Hi Hans.

Slim Haines G4IPZ

Hi Ted

12..15V supply voltage
On-screen S-meter

73 Hans G0UPL

Tapio OH2EYY

A fine kit indeed. I dreamed that it would have been a SSB transceiver kit geared towards digital modes with USB. 

It's going to take some effort to learn CW. 

Earl

Please order lots of components Hans, I am going to want one of those.

Earl, VA6TJ

John AE5X

"VFO A/B Split operation"

Thank you!

John AE5X
https://ae5x.blogspot.com

Bob Macklin <macklinbob@...>

Learn to operate CW with CW Get and CW Type.

They are good for OLD FARTS with shaky hands and poor memory!

Bob Macklin
K5MYJ
Seattle, Wa.
"Real Radios Glow In The Dark"

Sent: Thursday, August 03, 2017 10:03 AM

A fine kit indeed. I dreamed that it would have been a SSB transceiver kit geared towards digital modes with USB. 

It's going to take some effort to learn CW. 

HF

Wow, an on-board iambic keyer!  Does it have automatic character spacing like the Accu-Keyer I made in '79?  If not, will the firmware be available so that someone can program that feature in?
-Halden NR7V

Hans Summers

Hi Halden

From the moment you press a paddle, the everything happens at a regular interval determined by the speed setting. If you set 12wpm for example, the interval is 0.1 seconds. All the dits come out 0.1 seconds long, the dahs 0.3 seconds long, and the gap between them 0.1 seconds. Is this what you mean?

If not, then please describe it to me so i can understand it. If a feature isn't there and is useful... then I can add it to a future firmware version. The kit has 2 x 3-pin header for AVR programming supplied. So easy firmware updates. 

The keyer also has a "weighting" feature for people who like to deviate from standard Morse timing to make theirs sound "harder" etc.

Hans G0UPL

On Aug 4, 2017 12:43 AM, "HF via Groups.Io" <incorridge=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Wow, an on-board iambic keyer!  Does it have automatic character spacing like the Accu-Keyer I made in '79?  If not, will the firmware be available so that someone can program that feature in?
-Halden NR7V

Hazarda Masklo

The Facebook QRP groups are just wetting themselves about this kit.

Do you have a beta .PDF of the instructions yet?

Wow! I'm looking forward to when they are ready to buy!

On Aug 3, 2017, at 04:52, Hans Summers <hans.summers@...> wrote:

Hi Ted

12..15V supply voltage
On-screen S-meter

73 Hans G0UPL

<done1.jpg>
<done2.jpg>

Hans Summers

Hello Hazarda

Ok, I uploaded the DRAFT .pdf of the instructions, yes - see http://qrp-labs.com/qcx.html

As noted on the page: This document is NOT final! It is targeted initially only for the 17m YOTA buildathon constructors. The final document will include specification of components for other bands (where the component value is band-dependent in the kit). There are a few changes to the firmware that affect the operating instructions, including addition of CW keyer "weight" configuration. There will also be measurements of Rx and Tx current, and a chart of power output against supply voltage (by band). 

73 Hans G0UPL

On Fri, Aug 4, 2017 at 1:05 AM, Hazarda Masklo <hazarda@...> wrote:
The Facebook QRP groups are just wetting themselves about this kit.

Do you have a beta .PDF of the instructions yet?

Per - LA9XKA

Hans

I am utterly impressed after reading the preliminary document.

Just one question (this time), have there been any thoughts on boxing the kit?

73 de LA9XKA - Per

Hans Summers

Hi Per

I have thought about enclosures but I have not reached a conclusion. Well... the conclusion I came to, was that I needed to take things step by step! Like the Ultimate series... the enclosure came later. It is better to divide things into manageable steps than to sit and dream about everything and never deliver. It is hard to explain how much effort and work this CW transceiver has taken over the last 3 months, and to a lower level extent, before that too. Unbelievable! So let's get this thing out... then I *may* have a think about an enclosure, in time!

73 Hans G0UPL

On Fri, Aug 4, 2017 at 12:18 PM, Per - LA9XKA <pmolund@...> wrote:
Hans

I am utterly impressed after reading the preliminary document.

Just one question (this time), have there been any thoughts on boxing the kit?

73 de LA9XKA - Per

Per - LA9XKA

Indeed, that's the way to eat an elephant.

As for the effort, I have full respect for the work involved in the development and planning to get this kit out of the door. 

Looking forward for the kit.

73 de LA9XKA - Per

At 12:12 04.08.2017, Hans Summers wrote:
Hi Per

I have thought about enclosures but I have not reached a conclusion. Well... the conclusion I came to, was that I needed to take things step by step! Like the Ultimate series... the enclosure came later. It is better to divide things into manageable steps than to sit and dream about everything and never deliver. It is hard to explain how much effort and work this CW transceiver has taken over the last 3 months, and to a lower level extent, before that too. Unbelievable! So let's get this thing out... then I *may* have a think about an enclosure, in time!

73 Hans G0UPL

Mike

On 4 Aug 2017 at 12:33, Per - LA9XKA wrote:

Indeed, that's the way to eat an elephant.
I wonder what they taste like <vbg>

Kelly Jack

Hans,

This is a very impressive list of features and an interesting receiver design. I'll be looking to order one as soon as its available.

The one thing I'm wondering given the development effort you seem to have put in so far is why not make the LP and BP filters interchangable and its a multiband rig with a couple of filter swaps. Acknowledge it might canabalise some sales but also opens up another part of the market.

Regards 

Simon VK3ELH 

Stephen Rapley

Hans,

If there was a Booker Prize for the best written, presented and explained instructions for an electronic kit, I think you just won it!

Stephen VK2RH

On 4 August 2017 at 20:38, Mike W <mike@...> wrote:
On 4 Aug 2017 at 12:33, Per - LA9XKA wrote:

> Indeed, that's the way to eat an elephant.
>
I wonder what they taste like <vbg>

HF

Hi Hans,
Automatic character spacing in your example means that if I waited more than 0.1 seconds after sending a dit and then pressed a paddle again, most keyers would start sending that next dit or dah immediately.  The AccuKeyer would wait until 0.3 seconds had passed, interpreting my 0.1s+ wait as an intention to finish that character and send a new one.  After 0.3 seconds, it would start sending the next dit or dah.  This feature could be turned off and on.  It trained me to be quite lazy in my code sending and so now I have to pay closer attention to this because most other keyers don't seem to have this feature!  I have to 1.  become less lazy, 2.  Find the Accukeyer documentation so I can fix my old keyer, 3.  Find or make a new keyer that has this luxury feature, or 4.  Obtain a keyer with open software and modify it to include this feature.
Cheers
Halden