QLG1 No 3D Fix

Bill Oelker

Hi All, I have recently ordered 2 of these kits and assembled them  fine and neither one of them will show a fix value of 2D or 3D. I just get -- (dash dash) I have another older unit(QLG1) which is running 2 U3S systems fine so when I insert the recent built kits in its place it works fine but there is no fix information. From what I have read from the documentation this may mean that the $GPGSA sentence is not enabled in the YIC5. Can anyone lead me to a place where there is a procedure for accomplishing this. I guess I could hook a PC serial to the QLG1 and read what it is spitting out. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Bill KN8DMK

BrianB

Bill/all,

I'm also seeing the same as you are "--" on two different kits. Both have loads of satellites they are seeing and running V3.12 software.

BrianB
N6CVO

On Jul 18, 2017, at 10:24 AM, Bill Oelker <boelker@...> wrote:

Hi All, I have recently ordered 2 of these kits and assembled them  fine and neither one of them will show a fix value of 2D or 3D. I just get -- (dash dash) I have another older unit(QLG1) which is running 2 U3S systems fine so when I insert the recent built kits in its place it works fine but there is no fix information. From what I have read from the documentation this may mean that the $GPGSA sentence is not enabled in the YIC5. Can anyone lead me to a place where there is a procedure for accomplishing this. I guess I could hook a PC serial to the QLG1 and read what it is spitting out. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Bill KN8DMK

SM7ETW Jan

Do you get the 1 PPS ?

I would double check the serial data connection.

73 Jan

BrianB

Yes, everything works fine on both kits. Good and quick GPS fix, accurate time, plenty of WSPR and JT9 spots, etc. There is just no 2D or 3D symbol displayed (only --).

I just figure it's a software glitch as everything works so well therefore it hasn't been a priority to investigate. I only commented because another is seeing the same symptom on multiple kits too...

73,
BrianB
N6CVO

On Jul 18, 2017, at 12:13 PM, SM7ETW Jan <sm7etw@...> wrote:

Do you get the 1 PPS ?

I would double check the serial data connection.

73 Jan

Bill Oelker

Yes, Jan I do all is good except no 3D or 2D fix, my old QLG1 works perfect.

SM7ETW Jan

I guess you have no info from the GPS, no time, no position, no satellite status.
Have you tested switching the GPS check parameter off and on?

Bill Oelker

Jan, I did that and set it to 0 and the fix shows up. So why does the older QLG! pass the data check and not this one? I have a working older unit and it works fine as is. Both of these units are brand new, and work fine other than fix information. Or so it seems. I thought Hans put that data check option in to get rid of erroneous locator reports. Any way Thanks for your help it does report 3D when the data check option is turned off.

SM7ETW Jan

I think you must talk with Hans about this.
Nice that it is working!
I think Brian had the same problem, does the fix work for him also?
73 Jan

BrianB

Bill/Jan,

I just got home and did a bit of testing by putting in old 3.10a software in one unit and leaving the newer software in the other one. Looking at the results it seems like this is an issue with version 3.12 of the software.

V3.12
With GPS Check set to 1 it displays "--"
With GPS Check set to 0 it displays "2D" then "3D"

V3.10a
With GPS Check set to 1 it displays "2D" then "3D"
With GPS Check set to 0 it displays "2D" then "3D"

I then swapped chips between the two units and the "No 3D Fix" problem followed the v3.12 software.

Everything else in both units works fine.

73,
BrianB
N6CVO

On Jul 18, 2017, at 3:20 PM, Bill Oelker <boelker@...> wrote:

Jan, I did that and set it to 0 and the fix shows up. So why does the older QLG! pass the data check and not this one? I have a working older unit and it works fine as is. Both of these units are brand new, and work fine other than fix information. Or so it seems. I thought Hans put that data check option in to get rid of erroneous locator reports. Any way Thanks for your help it does report 3D when the data check option is turned off.

Alan

I feel sure this has been discussed and explained before by Hans.
Maybe he is busy and not seen this thread, a search of old posts could find the answer.

73 Alan G4ZFQ

I just got home and did a bit of testing by putting in old 3.10a software in one unit and leaving the newer software in the other one. Looking at the results it seems like this is an issue with version 3.12 of the software.
V3.12
With GPS Check set to 1 it displays "--"
With GPS Check set to 0 it displays "2D" then "3D"
V3.10a
With GPS Check set to 1 it displays "2D" then "3D"
With GPS Check set to 0 it displays "2D" then "3D"
I then swapped chips between the two units and the "No 3D Fix" problem followed the v3.12 software.
Everything else in both units works fine.

Bill Oelker

Hi Alan, I have done a search, and never found a solution. These units are recent builds and a previous older build works 100 percent. The only issue with the new builds is the fix data does not appear. The satellite counts and signal strength all are good.  I suspect the YIC5 maker nay have updated their firmware  And it changed something on the data output. But I am probably wrong . This is really a low priority issue, the QLG1 works great with the check data not selected. Bill KN8DMK

Bill Oelker

Hi Brian, QLG1's fail on V3.10 and V3.12. I have no fix data on these wit the the new QLG1's. Bill

Clive Lorton

Hi Bill

Bill Wrote : "I suspect the YIC5 maker nay have updated their firmware."

FYI Bill I have built two new QLG1s (s1.04) received in the last 4 -6 weeks. Both are working fine and lock my Si5351 VFO/Sig genny.  One has a battery back up problem and that I have to address, I expect its a build problem.

If you have done this please ignore my next comment.
Do you have a scope? if so can you see the 1pps and the data signals on the output of the QLG1?

73, Clive G8POC

On 19 July 2017 at 13:23, Bill Oelker <boelker@...> wrote:
Hi Alan, I have done a search, and never found a solution. These units are recent builds and a previous older build works 100 percent. The only issue with the new builds is the fix data does not appear. The satellite counts and signal strength all are good.  I suspect the YIC5 maker nay have updated their firmware  And it changed something on the data output. But I am probably wrong . This is really a low priority issue, the QLG1 works great with the check data not selected. Bill KN8DMK

Alan

have done a search, and never found a solution.
Bill,

How about this one https://groups.io/g/QRPLabs/topic/3827216#9046 ?

73 Alan G4ZFQ

These units
are recent builds and a previous older build works 100 percent. The only issue with the new builds is the fix data does not appear. The satellite counts and signal strength all are good. I suspect the YIC5 maker nay have updated their firmware And it changed something on the data output. But I am probably wrong . This is really a low priority issue, the QLG1 works great with the check data not selected.

Bill Oelker

Hi Cleve, I see you are using the VFO kits, The issue we are talking about shows up on the check data option on the firmware  U3S. Only issue with the QLG1's are that the check data option enabled doesn't indicate the fix data in the first slot of the output but 2,3,and 4 slot is good. This is an option that Hams added for folks that were having infrequent wrong location spots. It is suppose to indicate whether the data coming from the QLG1 or any GPS is valid(not corrupted). The QLG1's work perfectly, except that they don't populate the 3D/2D slot on the check data option. They do indicate the proper data when the check data option is disabled.  Thank for the reply. Bill KN8DMK

Bill Oelker

Alan sent this reply::
How about this one https://groups.io/g/QRPLabs/topic/3827216#9046 ?

Hi Alan, Thanks for the link, My take away from that thread is that if the data is not valid or missing, just disable the check data option. BUT my QLG1 older one that I have gives valid data. Maybe I am beating a dead horse but something just doesn't add up. I have used the UBLOX Neo 7M and always used the data check (disabled).  But I think the QLG1 is suppose to give valid data. according to the firmware user manual.Thanks for the link though..Bill KN8DMK

Hans Summers

Hi Bill

I'm sorry about my lack of participation in this thread. Things here have been extremely hectic and I'm just back from my 5 day trip to Germany for Friedrichshafen... And more exhausted than I can remember being for a long time! Life at the QRP Labs booth was very busy indeed!

Based on the things you've said in this thread I am also concerned. I an running all the latest firmware here but my QLG1 is from the first batch. When I have time I will order and build one of the latest batch, and try to replicate your findings.

It is possible perhaps that the order of the GPS sentences on the newer QLG1 batch is different form the earlier one. Perhaps the 2D/3D fix flag or something in that sentence now arrives at an instant where the v3.12 firmware (but not v3.10a) for some reason misses something. This kind of nasty glitch is not impossible at all. And hard to track down.

I have some stuff to finish urgently and as you said, everything else is working fine so this is only a minor cosmetic issue. So when I've got the high priority work out of the way I will have a look at this problem.

73 Hans G0UPL

Alan sent this reply::

On Wed, Jul 19, 2017 at 12:57 pm, Hans Summers wrote:
[...]

Hi Hans, Thanks for the reply, just a note I see the same issue on my working V3,10 also. Get some rest this can wait. Family comes first. Bill KN8DMK

Rod Kreuter

Brian,

I have two U3S's running from one QLG1 GPS. I can confirm your findings. Check = 1 ="--".  Check = 0 = "3D".

My U3S's are ver 3.12a

Rod