Topics

Canada C3 Expedition CG3EXP

Barrie Crampton

Good Day Fellow QRP-Labs Discussion Group Participants.

I invite you to follow the Journey of CG3EXP as explained in the following News release.
We appreciate the contribution from Hans for the Ultimate 3 that will take us along for this historic trip.  The ship sails the evening of 1 June.

73
Barrie VE3BSB

A “Whisper” (WSPR) for Canada C3: Coast to Coast to Coast

Gwyn Griffiths

Hello Barrie
What a splendid project! I wish you and your colleagues a really successful voyage.

I'm pleased to have heard CG3EXP on 40 metres last night and look forward to tracking the ship through the North West Passage.
You may be interested to know that my colleague Mike GM0HCQ/MM on the Royal Research Ship James Clark Ross will be up in the Arctic in the vicinity of Svalbard in July/August with receive-only WSPR on 30 metres. I'll let him know of CG3EXP!

73 Gwyn G3ZIL

Bob Sutton

Hello Barrie,

I assume the U3S is already on the ship, it is certainly putting out a super signal on 30m and 40m. What antenna is being used?

73, Bob ZL1RS

Hans Summers

Bob,

I'm wanting some photos too! I am sure we will get some!

QRP Labs donated: Ultimate3S, 20, 30, 40m LPFs, relay board, GPS and enclosure kits. The equipment was built by Barrie VE3BSB who did a huge amount of work making the proposal and getting it accepted for the expedition. He installed it about a week ago I think. The U3S is transmitting 6-char Maidenhead on 20, 30 and 40m. There is a live tracking page on the QRP Labs website see http://qrp-labs.com/c3.html

The tracking also keeps a list of which stations reported the ship via WSPRnet. Since 26th May, 430 unique stations have copied CG3EXP a total of 21,193 times. Way out in front as usual, is K9AN with 1,637 reports! Best DX to date was 16,743km (by WSPRnet's calculation).

73 Hans G0UPL

On Fri, Jun 2, 2017 at 4:22 AM, Bob Sutton via Groups.Io <zl1rs@...> wrote:
Hello Barrie,

I assume the U3S is already on the ship, it is certainly putting out a super signal on 30m and 40m.  What antenna is being used?

73, Bob  ZL1RS

Hans Summers

Hi all

Barrie VE3BSB sent me some photos and I added them to the C3 page http://www.qrp-labs.com/c3.html

73 Hans G0UPL

On Fri, Jun 2, 2017 at 2:00 PM, Hans Summers <hans.summers@...> wrote:
[...]

M. de Jong

Hello Barrie et all,

Stayed up late tonight especially to see if I could catch the WSPR beacons of the Canada C3 expedition ship on 40m. I thought my best chances would be on 40m, as the 20m WSPR sub band is crowded just with lots of short skip signals lately.
Still, with just a sloper EFHW wire antenna, I thought my chances of picking up the 200 mW signals on 40m here in the Netherlands would be slim. But lo and behold, so far I've managed to pick up about 5 spots!! I'm really thrilled! Since my simple wire antenna manages to pick it up, the C3 ship must be putting out an excellent signal! Best SNR so far is -25dB. I Hope to catch more spots from other places as the C3 ship continues its journey. First I'll catch up on some sleep :-)

Many thanks to you, Barrie, and all the others who helped setting up this exciting project! I'll be monitoring for the CG3EXP WSPR beacon as often as possible!

73 de PA7MDJ

Good Day Fellow QRP-Labs Discussion Group Participants.

I invite you to follow the Journey of CG3EXP as explained in the following News release.
We appreciate the contribution from Hans for the Ultimate 3 that will take us along for this historic trip.  The ship sails the evening of 1 June.

73
Barrie VE3BSB

A “Whisper” (WSPR) for Canada C3: Coast to Coast to Coast

Dit e-mailbericht bevat geen virussen en malware omdat avast! Antivirus actief is.

Barrie Crampton

Good Day Gwyn

I am pleased to hear from you and report that within two hours of turning on the WSPR beacon I saw that CG3EXP was heard by G0HMQ/MM. I did a screen capture and had a poster made and presented it to the Captain of the Polar Prince. Please tell Mike.
I have a copy of the screen shot if you like. Thanks for your interest. Please follow the expedition. 73 Barrie

Barrie Crampton

Hello Bob

The antenna is a 46 ft end fed slopping at 62 degrees from the port rail above the bridge to the midship 50ft tower. You can see the pictures on the live tracking page provided by Hans.
http://www.qrp-labs.com/c3.html
73
Barrie

Gwyn Griffiths

Hello Barrie
Many thanks for posting the photo of the poster you made and its presentation to the Captain.
I'll pass to Mike when I see him when his ship docks here in Southampton later this month.
I'll be taking along my U3S and QLG1 to show him, to see if it might be possible to fit to the ship.
A copy of the screen shot would be welcome, perhaps you can email to me, my address is correct on qrz.com.
73
Gwyn

Barrie Crampton

So pleased to know you are copying CG3EXP direct. It will be exciting when they get up to the Arctic. Please keep me advised. Thank you for that excellent Blog.
73
Barrie VE3BSB