Using Hyperterm to check qrp-labs QLG1 GPS

Phil N6WKZ

Hello All,

My scope displays the signals from the QLG1 GPS correctly, all-is-well.

I want to look at the data with Win Hyperterm, and I cannot see the data.

I have Hyperterm set for 9600.

Anyone have any ideas? Does it have to be a rs-232 signal, not 5 volts ?

73

Phil N6WKZ

ajparent1/KB1GMX

Its TTL serial so you need a TTL(cmos) to USB converter with hypertem.

That assumes the usual NMEI sentence coming out and not a 1PPS tick.

Bet the manual might have that detail.

Allison

Phil N6WKZ

Allison,

Do I need something like the Max232 to covert the 5 volt level to 12 volts in order to see the qrp-labs GPS on Hyperterminal?

On 11/10/2019 11:28 AM, ajparent1/KB1GMX wrote:
Its TTL serial so you need a TTL(cmos) to USB converter with hypertem.

That assumes the usual NMEI sentence coming out and not a 1PPS tick.

Bet the manual might have that detail.

Allison

Bruce K1FFX

If you have an Arduino available, you can use it to do the level conversion.  Have a look at the tiny Arduino sketch found in the manual for ProgRock kit.  It will read the data from the QLG and pipe it out the Arduino's USB port, where you'll be able to read it with HyperTerminal or (what I use) Putty.

Cheers -

Bruce K1FFX

ajparent1/KB1GMX

Uh sorta.

Hyperterminal is winder software.  So it depends if your using a DB9 serial port or
a USB tog et a serial port equivilent.

MAX232 converts TTL to +-12V Rs232/423 signaling. and that needed to
use a DB9 serial port.

If you using USB the a  FDI-TTH-232R adaptor cord or the equivilent.

Likely the latter as most computer save for MiniITX format machines
do not have olde schoole serial ports.

Allison

Dave VE3LHO

There would only be actual RS232 signal levels involved if you're using a PC with a true RS232 port.

Maybe best if you give some details about the hardware between Hyperterm and the QLG1.
- RS232 port on the PC - i.e. 9 pin (or maybe but not likely 25 pin) D connector?
- or maybe an FTDI (or similar) USB to serial converter
- or maybe something else that doesn't come to mind as I type this

Dave L.

Dave VE3LHO

Ah the risks of replying to a digest entry. Someone beats you to it.

As Allison said its pretty unlikely that this is really RS232. Bruce's reply suggests, strongly, that it is 5V (TTL) levels required since most common Arduinos are 5V.

So do as Bruce suggests and take a look at the Progrock manual. It may have some useful pointers on making this work. That doesn't mean you need to go the Arduino route if you are already using a USB to serial converter. You can just look for clues on correct wiring and any strings you need to send to the QLG1 to get it to start sending data.

Do check that your USB converter supports 5V levels.
Also look for correct wiring: typically Rx to Tx and vis-versa. Its easy to forget that you don't want to match the sides up. The 2 sides need to talk to each other : - )

On Sun, Nov 10, 2019 at 06:35 PM, ajparent1/KB1GMX wrote:
Uh sorta.

Hyperterminal is winder software.  So it depends if your using a DB9 serial port or
a USB tog et a serial port equivilent.

MAX232 converts TTL to +-12V Rs232/423 signaling. and that needed to
use a DB9 serial port.

If you using USB the a  FDI-TTH-232R adaptor cord or the equivilent.

Likely the latter as most computer save for MiniITX format machines
do not have olde schoole serial ports.

Allison

Phil N6WKZ

I'm using a FTDI USB to serial converter, on Win10 laptop running Hyperterminal.

I finally solved the problem by using the Max 232. The FTDI wanted to see the higher voltage.

Thanks everyone!

On 11/10/2019 6:39 PM, Dave VE3LHO wrote:
There would only be actual RS232 signal levels involved if you're using a PC with a true RS232 port.

Maybe best if you give some details about the hardware between Hyperterm and the QLG1.
- RS232 port on the PC - i.e. 9 pin (or maybe but not likely 25 pin) D connector?
- or maybe an FTDI (or similar) USB to serial converter
- or maybe something else that doesn't come to mind as I type this

Dave L.

James Daldry W4JED

Hi, Allison

I have a Compaq N610C laptop that I keep around because it has a DB9 and a DB25. I currently have AntiX on it because that's about the only OS the thing will run these days. When I got it, I could run XP in a VMware  VM under PCLinuxOS, with Compiz Fusion running and Firefox open under Linux. That was with 500 megs of ram. Software bloat.

73

Jim W4JED