Topics

BSS5

Mikael Dagman

I released a balloon last night at 20:15 localt time, it just woke up over Romania.

it does wspr on 20+30m and jt9 on 20m (alt+6 fig loc), using a 20m dipole so the 30m not going to work very well.

I did prestreach the qualtex to 0.720 psi, looks like I got a little higher this time, spots indicating over 9100m and climbing as the balloon is warming up.

Mikael Dagman

I should ad its on call sa6bss.

http://wsprnet.org/drupal/wsprnet/map

wspr db

The tracker weights in on 7.85grams total with antrenna, the new batch 19x52 solar cells was slightly heavier - 0.2grams total for four cells

M. de Jong

Good luck with the balloon flight, Mikael! I was at work today, and was unable to listen for it. I will be following the flight on WSPRnet.org. And on 20m HF, might it's 20mW signals be in reach of my sloper end-fed half-wave wire antenna, and provided I'm not at work :-)

73 de Michael PA7MDJ
From: "Mikael Dagman" <mikael_dagman@...>
To: <QRPLabs@groups.io>
Date: Mon, May 1, 2017 12:47 PM

The balloon continues its jurney, now over Alaska, it will move verry slowly next couple of days, telemtry indicate an altitude of just over 9400m.

aprs.fi  name  sa6bss-11

Mikael Dagman

On its nith day and still going, it will remain in Alaska region for a couple of days more before heding down over Hudson bay.

Today it will be on the verge of starting up as the solar never goes over 34° at its current location.

Most likely I have found out whats wrong with the tracker, starting so late at so high solar angel, on launch day I had to rebuild the tracker several times due to smached solar panels (verry windy day with gusts over 10ms/s), somehow I must have soldered it wrong and only 3 panels are in cicuit, tried a tracker at home with 3 panels of the same batch and bingo, startup at 34°

M. de Jong

Nice going, Mikael!! Hope to catch BSS5 on WSPR on its re-entry of the European airspace!

And what a great job OH3W is doing there, wow! I've seen he spotted BSS5 several times while the balloon was over Alaska. I wonder what kind of antenna he's using.

73 and wishing you continued succes with the balloon flight,

Michael PA7MDJ
On its nith day and still going, it will remain in Alaska region for a couple of days more before heding down over Hudson bay.

Today it will be on the verge of starting up as the solar never goes over 34° at its current location.

Most likely I have found out whats wrong with the tracker, starting so late at so high solar angel, on launch day I had to rebuild the tracker several times due to smached solar panels (verry windy day with gusts over 10ms/s), somehow I must have soldered it wrong and only 3 panels are in cicuit, tried a tracker at home with 3 panels of the same batch and bingo, startup at 34°

Dit e-mailbericht bevat geen virussen en malware omdat avast! Antivirus actief is.

Peter Mulhare

Hi Mikael

Keep up the good work with BSS5, you are way, way, ahead of NASA!  They launched a Stadium sized super-pressure Balloon in New Zealand, 9 days ago, (yes it was Stadium Sized!!), and it has sprung a leak and they are looking for somewhere to land it safely.....  in South America, it has only just got across the Pacific Ocean!

Feel proud of your achievement so far!!  Your Balloon is doing well.

Regards & 73’s

Pete

ZL2iK

On its nith day and still going, it will remain in Alaska region for a couple of days more before heding down over Hudson bay.

Today it will be on the verge of starting up as the solar never goes over 34° at its current location.

Most likely I have found out whats wrong with the tracker, starting so late at so high solar angel, on launch day I had to rebuild the tracker several times due to smached solar panels (verry windy day with gusts over 10ms/s), somehow I must have soldered it wrong and only 3 panels are in cicuit, tried a tracker at home with 3 panels of the same batch and bingo, startup at 34°

Mikael Dagman

Yes, surprisingly well, hopefully it will come back to life tomorrow as it comes down to the south again as of yesterday and today it will be to far north to start up. Looking at the trajectory it should fire up around 18-19 utc tomorrow. Yeah I heard of the Nasa balloon, thats big !! https://eandt.theiet.org/content/articles/2017/04/stadium-sized-space-balloon-launched-by-nasa-to-study-cosmic-particles/?utm_source=Adestra&utm_campaign=New%20EandT%20News%20-%20Automation%20FINAL%20-%20MEMBER&utm_medium=Newsletters%20-%20E%26T%20News&utm_content=E%26T%20News%20-%20Members&utm_term=https%3A%2F%2Feandt.theiet.org%2Fcontent%2Farticles%2F2017%2F04%2Fstadium-sized-space-balloon-launched-by-nasa-to-study-cosmic-particles%2F

Mikael Dagman

No sign of BSS5 as of yeasterday, so this most likley marks the end of BSS5 flight.

 A lot of personal reccords, altitude - 9600m, duration - 12 days, distance travelled/great circle distance

This is the last pos. 22.20 utc, 5 May

BSS6 up next :)

Keith, G6NHU

Hi Mikael,

I’ve been monitoring 20m WSPR specifically to try and grab even one single report from BSS5 so I do hope it’s not completely dead yet!

Here’s hoping for perhaps a few more days activity.

73 Keith.

On 7 May 2017, at 08:34, Mikael Dagman <mikael_dagman@...> wrote:

No sign of BSS5 as of yeasterday, so this most likley marks the end of BSS5 flight.

 A lot of personal reccords, altitude - 9600m, duration - 12 days, distance travelled/great circle distance

This is the last pos. 22.20 utc, 5 May

BSS6 up next :)

<2017_05_06 21_51_47_habhub tracker _high altitude balloons_.jpg>