4 line LCD for the clock kit #clock

Greg Walters

Can someone point me in the right direction to find a 4 line LCD that I can use for the clock kit? Is there one that would directly apply, pin for pin?

I am not knowledgeable in LCDs and would find it nice to have a link to where I could purchase one.

I'm in the United States, so a link to somewhere reasonably close would be wonderful.

Thanks,
Greg
KY4GW

Eric KE6US

You're looking for a 20x4 LCD. The clock uses parallel data lines, not serial, so don't get one that says I2C, SPI or serial-anything.

Here's one. They come with various screen colors. There are lots of sources, but most are serial.

https://www.amazon.com/Smraza-Display-characters-Arduino-MEGA2560/dp/B01K1N4XM6/ref=sr_1_15

Eric

On 11/8/2019 4:32 AM, Greg Walters via Groups.Io wrote:
Can someone point me in the right direction to find a 4 line LCD that I can use for the clock kit? Is there one that would directly apply, pin for pin?

I am not knowledgeable in LCDs and would find it nice to have a link to where I could purchase one.

I'm in the United States, so a link to somewhere reasonably close would be wonderful.

Thanks,
Greg
KY4GW

Eric KE6US

Crap! The link I sent was serial. Besides I2C, look for IIC. You don't want that one either (hi).

Here's one that looks like it's just parallel. If you don't mind a little desoldering, you can get a serial one and just remove the serial "backpack".

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GZ6GK7A/ref=nav_timeline_asin?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

If you flat can't find anything, I'll send you one for just the cost of shipping. I have a couple that are white on blue.

Eric KE6US

On 11/8/2019 4:32 AM, Greg Walters via Groups.Io wrote:
Can someone point me in the right direction to find a 4 line LCD that I can use for the clock kit? Is there one that would directly apply, pin for pin?

I am not knowledgeable in LCDs and would find it nice to have a link to where I could purchase one.

I'm in the United States, so a link to somewhere reasonably close would be wonderful.

Thanks,
Greg
KY4GW

N7PH

I usually buy a 5 pack of the parallel units which lowers the price considerably. In a pinch I have removed the "backpack" IIC/I2C module and the display works just fine.
If carefully done the removal leaves both units usable.

PJH, N7PH

Greg Walters

Thank you both!

Greg
KY4GW

Greg Walters

Eric, if that second link you sent is the correct one, I'll just grab one or two of those.
Greg
KY4GW

Eric KE6US

I double checked it. I was a little concerned that the photo displays "I2C LCD" on the second line, but someone in the Questions section answered that it is indeed a parallel LCD, not a serial one.

So yea, that's what you want.

As I and others mentioned, if you end up with a serial one, it's no big deal to remove it. The serial converter is just a little add-on board to the basic parallel LCD.

If you have any problems, holler. Someone here can help. I don't actually have the clock kit, but I've used  the same LCD in lots of homebrew ham and Arduino projects. Happy to help if needed.

Eric KE6US