4 line LCD for the clock kit #clock

Greg Walters

Can someone point me in the right direction to find a 4 line LCD that I can use for the clock kit? Is there one that would directly apply, pin for pin?

I am not knowledgeable in LCDs and would find it nice to have a link to where I could purchase one. 

I'm in the United States, so a link to somewhere reasonably close would be wonderful.

Thanks, 
--
Greg
KY4GW

Eric KE6US

You're looking for a 20x4 LCD. The clock uses parallel data lines, not serial, so don't get one that says I2C, SPI or serial-anything.

Here's one. They come with various screen colors. There are lots of sources, but most are serial.

https://www.amazon.com/Smraza-Display-characters-Arduino-MEGA2560/dp/B01K1N4XM6/ref=sr_1_15

Eric

On 11/8/2019 4:32 AM, Greg Walters via Groups.Io wrote:
Can someone point me in the right direction to find a 4 line LCD that I can use for the clock kit? Is there one that would directly apply, pin for pin?

I am not knowledgeable in LCDs and would find it nice to have a link to where I could purchase one. 

I'm in the United States, so a link to somewhere reasonably close would be wonderful.

Thanks, 
--
Greg
KY4GW

Eric KE6US

Crap! The link I sent was serial. Besides I2C, look for IIC. You don't want that one either (hi).

Here's one that looks like it's just parallel. If you don't mind a little desoldering, you can get a serial one and just remove the serial "backpack".

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GZ6GK7A/ref=nav_timeline_asin?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

If you flat can't find anything, I'll send you one for just the cost of shipping. I have a couple that are white on blue.

Eric KE6US

On 11/8/2019 4:32 AM, Greg Walters via Groups.Io wrote:

Thanks, 
--
Greg
KY4GW

N7PH

I usually buy a 5 pack of the parallel units which lowers the price considerably. In a pinch I have removed the "backpack" IIC/I2C module and the display works just fine.
If carefully done the removal leaves both units usable.

PJH, N7PH

Greg Walters

Thank you both!

--
Greg
KY4GW

Greg Walters

Eric, if that second link you sent is the correct one, I'll just grab one or two of those. 
--
Greg
KY4GW

Eric KE6US

I double checked it. I was a little concerned that the photo displays "I2C LCD" on the second line, but someone in the Questions section answered that it is indeed a parallel LCD, not a serial one.

So yea, that's what you want.

As I and others mentioned, if you end up with a serial one, it's no big deal to remove it. The serial converter is just a little add-on board to the basic parallel LCD.

If you have any problems, holler. Someone here can help. I don't actually have the clock kit, but I've used  the same LCD in lots of homebrew ham and Arduino projects. Happy to help if needed.

Eric KE6US

On 11/8/2019 6:25 PM, Greg Walters via Groups.Io wrote:
Eric, if that second link you sent is the correct one, I'll just grab one or two of those. 
--
Greg
KY4GW