QCX 5W CW Transciever kit: Transformer dilemma

joseph.corbin@...

Hello!

I am a student who is working on putting together this kit as part of a project for my Digital Signal Processing course. I've reached step 3.56, which requires that I wind and install a transformer (T1). Because I have the 40m band, I need a total of 53 turns (Three sets of 5 turns each and 1 set of 38 turns). After having completed the winding, I've noticed several small kinks in the wire. I know that the kinks are going to affect the transformer, but my question is whether the kinks will have a negligible impact or not. In other words, should I redo the entire winding or do you think that I'll be okay with the installation?

Thank you!

Alan G4ZFQ

After having completed the winding, I've noticed several small kinks in the wire. I know that the kinks are going to affect the transformer, but my question is whether the kinks will have a negligible impact or not. In other words, should I redo the entire winding or do you think that I'll be okay with the installation?
Joseph,

As long as you are not worried by the appearance then leave it.
Perhaps make it look better one day, but performance will not be affected.

Alan

ajparent1/KB1GMX

No Issue.  Unless the wire breaks.  That should not be an issue once in place.

To lock the wire in place a drop of superglue will do that fine.

Allison

joseph.corbin@...

Alan,

Thank you! I'll be sure to make it look better one day. For now, I'll go ahead and install it and let you know how it goes.

--

Joseph Corbin

President of the Engineering Club
Ottawa University
Ottawa, KS

joseph.corbin@...

Allison,

Excellent! Thank you for the response and the helpful tip!
--

Joseph Corbin

President of the Engineering Club
Ottawa University
Ottawa, KS

Jim Manley

Hi Joseph,

We're starting a ham club at our remote, rural high school in Southeastern Montana and I've been trying to find a directory of other educational institutions that have ham clubs (or turkey would be OK, too!  Ba-da-bum - pishhhh!  I'll be here all week - please tip your waiters and waitresses generously, folks! :)  Are you aware of any directory like that?  Google searches have uniformly found clubs that have dried up and blown away years ago, and when I looked at the list of participants in the ARRL's School Club Roundup contest that runs in October every year, there were only a few dozen schools nationwide and in Canada that participated last year (http://www.b4h.net/arrlscr/scr_scores201810.php).

When you're up and running, and once I have our school's 20 and 40 m inverted-vee fan dipoles tuned to something much closer to perfection than they are as we first erected them for a quick-and-dirty start, maybe we could find each other in the ether for QSOs about educational topics where amateur radio can be applied, as well as coveted QSLs.  In addition to a couple of QCXs, a U3S, an ALX-SSB, a D4D, and some Pixies with all of the improvement mods that we're building from kits, we have a 100-watt Yaesu FT-991A transceiver on loan from a nearby (80 miles!) ham club member for as long as the students maintain interest.

Jim Manley  KJ7JHE
Lame Deer High School  KJ7JKU

On Wed, Nov 6, 2019 at 2:23 PM <joseph.corbin@...> wrote:

Joseph Corbin

President of the Engineering Club
Ottawa University
Ottawa, KS

joseph.corbin@...

Hello Jim,

I apologize for not getting back to you sooner, I had attempted to send a reply last week but it failed to go through.

The only directory I know of is on the ARRL website: http://www.arrl.org/find-a-club and using the keyword 'University'.

I'll be sure to let you know when we are up and running! Our transformer is giving us trouble with installation but we are almost done!

Thanks for reaching out! We look forward to connecting with you and your club!