Topics

#qcx Firmware version 1.02 release #qcx

Hans Summers

Hi all

I have released QCX firmware version 1.02. All orders shipped from now onward, will ship with version 1.02. It contains the following nice changes:
  1. Eliminate the faint "Woodpecker" clicking when S-meter active, when tuning or when CW decoder updates (ANY display updates)
  2. Eliminate click at start end end of sidetone audio burst (that was due to sudden change in DC bias)
  3. Can now operate sending stored messages while the RIT or Speed adjustment is active
  4. Now can handle either a 25MHz or a 27MHz reference crystal and calibrate properly in both cases
  5. Tune rate and RIT rate cursors can now be moved by rotary encoder push-and-turn (turn must commence within 0.3 seconds of push)
  6. Remove small click that occurred when exiting the menu system
  7. Bug fix: On GPS detect, which automatically sets Practice mode to protect the PA. It now ceases transmission immediately
  8. Bug fix: S-meter was STILL disappearing, if CW decoder was switched off
  9. Bug fix: Battery icon was corrupted after editing any text parameter in the menu system
  10. Bug fix: On exiting or disabling beacon mode, cannot use stored message sending features until the next beacon start time passed
  11. Bug fix: Listed tune rates in 3.4 not all available. now allows 1MHz, 100kHz, 10kHz, 1kHz, 500Hz, 100Hz or 10Hz
  12. Bug fix: RIT rate in menu 3.6 allows 10kHz steps which are not possible (RIT display is maximum +/- 9,999Hz)
Full history of all QCX firmware versions: http://www.qrp-labs.com/qcx/qcxfirmware.html

A programmed chip is available in the shop: http://shop.qrp-labs.com/qcxchip

For those of you with an AVR programmer, wishing to do the upgrade, here is the .hex file: http://qrp-labs.com/images/qcx/firmware/T1.02.hex

As always... no need to rush to upgrade your firmware, unless there is something you like, in the list.

A more detailed description of the firmware release:

1) Eliminate the faint "Woodpecker" clicking when S-meter active, when tuning or when CW decoder updates (ANY display updates)

The "Woodpecker" was what we called the rumbling noise caused by the S-meter update. Normally inaudible when band noise was sufficiently loud but could be annoying on higher bands, when the QTH noise was low. It was thought to be due to noise getting from the microcontroller and LCD into the sensitive receiver. However, Guido PE1NNZ in discussions with me at Veron Day of the Radio Amateur, the Dutch annual radio amateur convention at Zwolle, Netherlands on 02-Nov-2019, pointed me in the right direction - he mentioned that when the Si5351A SDA signal, which is shared with the LCD RS signal, is disconnected - the woodpecker disappears. Because of this I investigated further and discovered that via a firmware change (activating RS only briefly for of the order of a micro-second) I could eliminate the woodpecker noise. It also eliminates click when the frequency is changed (by turning the rotary encoder) and when the CW decoder adds a character to the display.

2) Eliminate click at start end end of sidetone audio burst (that was due to sudden change in DC bias)

This change is described here http://www.qrp-labs.com/qcx/qcxmods/sidetone.html#firmmod and eliminates the nasty click at the beginning and end of the sidetone audio, without any need for a hardware modification.

3) Can now operate sending stored messages while the RIT or Speed adjustment is active

This is particularly useful in my opinion, for when operating on a clear frequency, calling CQ (as opposed to tuning around looking for other people's CQ), This allows you to double click the left button, to enable RIT adjustment; then you can still long-press the rotary encoder button and initiate stored message sending (which could be a CQ, for example). You can just leave RIT adjustment enabled during the entire operating session so that you are always transmitting on exactly the same frequency, never needing to think about it - the rotary encoder just adjusts the RIT up and down so that you can net to the other stations (that often seem to answer your call off frequency).

4) Now can handle either a 25MHz or a 27MHz reference crystal and calibrate properly in both cases

This is just for one or two people who replaced a broken Si5351A by wiring in a different, non-QRP Labs breakout board (blasphemy!) having 25MHz crystal.

5) Tune rate and RIT rate cursors can now be moved by rotary encoder push-and-turn (turn must commence within 0.3 seconds of push)

This is a useful feature which brings the operation of the tuning and RIT frequencies in line with all other editing of numeric parameters in the QCX. They all allow moving the cursor to the left or right, by pushing the rotary encoder button and turning it left or right while pushed. Only the RIT and main tuning did not permit this since a rotary encoder shaft button press has other functions (switching VFO A/B etc). Now, you can press and turn (within the 0.3 seconds delay used to recognize a double-press or long-press) and the rotary encoder button action is cancelled, in favour of the tuning rate adjustment. It is useful to be able to press-and-turn, for example to go from 100Hz to 500Hz tuning steps directly rather than needing to press the rotary encoder button three times through the cycle 100Hz -> 10Hz -> 1kHz -> 500Hz. Additionally, you can now turn the tune rate cursor up above the 1kHz digit, all the way up to the 1MHz digit. This could be useful for people seeking to modify their QCX for multi-band operation.

6) Remove small click that occurred when exiting the menu system

Exiting the menu system caused an audible click... unnecessarily, I have found a way to remove it.

7) Bug fix: On GPS detect, which automatically sets Practice mode to protect the PA. It now ceases transmission immediately

Version 1.01 introduced automatic detection of the GPS and entry into Practice mode, to protect the PA if a GPS was connected; this however did NOT halt a key-down already underway! This is now fixed.

8) Bug fix: S-meter was STILL disappearing, if CW decoder was switched off

Version 1.01 was supposed to fix the long-standing disappearing S-meter issue, but did not fix it completely! Now it is fixed.

9) Bug fix: Battery icon was corrupted after editing any text parameter in the menu system

This is a forever-bug since the beginning... the LCD module has 8 custom configurable characters, some of which are used for drawing the battery icon on the display; but they are also used for certain custom characters during text configuration parameter editing. So the battery icon characters needed to be reprogrammed on exiting the menu.

10) Bug fix: On exiting or disabling beacon mode, cannot use stored message sending features until the next beacon start time passed

Another forever-bug, there since the beginning... due to a static variable that was not reset properly on exiting beacon mode.

11) Bug fix: Listed tune rates in 3.4 not all available. now allows 1MHz, 100kHz, 10kHz, 1kHz, 500Hz, 100Hz or 10Hz

The manual has always claimed tune rates from 1MHz to 10Hz were available, but they in fact where not; now following the change in 4) above, tuning rates 1MHz, 100kHz and 10kHz are now available.

12) Bug fix: RIT rate in menu 3.6 allows 10kHz steps which are not possible (RIT display is maximum +/- 9,999Hz)

The RIT rate setting in menu 3.6 allowed 10kHz steps, but in fact the RIT display only shows +/-9,999Hz... so 10kHz steps were nonsense. This is now removed from the choices in menu 3.6.

Hi all

Just to be clear:
  • All orders which have shipped on or before today 06-Nov-2019 have been shipped with 1.01a.
  • All orders which will be shipped on or after tomorrow 07-Nov-2019 will be shipped with 1.02
There are always some people who just ordered and got the last of the previous version, just before the new one starts shipping. I sympathize but practically speaking, it is inevitable... I see no way around it. In any case the improvements these days are incremental... there is nothing very wrong with NOT having the latest version.

73 Hans G0UPL

On Wed, Nov 6, 2019 at 4:57 PM QRP Labs <hans.summers@...> wrote:

[...]

Bill Allen

Uh . . . v1.02 seems to load but comes up with a blank screen.  A reload of 1.01a brings it back to life. Have run thru three iterations of 1.02 and back to 1.01a and can't get 1.02 to go.  Any thoughts?

n4qa at_hotmail.com

Hi, Hans.

You've just made it very difficult for me to resist upgrading the firmware.
I particularly like the idea of being able to make the 1 MHz moves !
My currently installed 1.00c is now pleading to be replaced !
If I can only get this 'little bird' to quit whispering in my other ear... :0)
72 / 73,
Bill, N4QA

Jim W8JD

FYI I just upgraded mine from T1.01a and it works perfectly.  Love the upgrades Hans, it just keeps getting better.

Jim D

W8JD
73s

Jim W8JD

Bill the only thing that makes sense is a corrupt or incomplete hex file download if 1.01a is loading ok.  I simply hovered over the link Hans sent, right clicked and "saved link as".  It automatically populated the name T1.02 and saved it as a hex file.  Be sure you are not opening it by left clicking or it is likely to save as a doc file or what ever your defaults are set to.  I am using Chrome and the file size came out to 88.8kb on my system.

73s
Jim
W8JD

James Daldry W4JED

Hi, Bill

If you're worried about never seeing it again, order up a replacement micro with the new firmware. That way you can keep peaceful and easy.

73

Jim W4JED

On 11/6/19 1:06 PM, n4qa at_hotmail.com wrote:
Hi, Hans.

You've just made it very difficult for me to resist upgrading the firmware.
I particularly like the idea of being able to make the 1 MHz moves !
My currently installed 1.00c is now pleading to be replaced !
If I can only get this 'little bird' to quit whispering in my other ear... :0)
72 / 73,
Bill, N4QA

Bill Allen

So, Jim, W8JD - now load 1.02 and let me know what you get . . .

Jim W8JD

Yes 1.02 is loaded and works perfectly.  I did it this morning.  I am loading my canned messages now.

jimd2002@...

So, Jim, W8JD - now load 1.02 and let me know what you get . . .

I also have the Blank Screen on 2 different V3 QCX.  The first had a screen for a bit and then it was letters scrambled and after a re-power it was blank.  Part of things are working as I can hear a change when I click the Sel button.  The second was always blank, but does act as a CW practice OK ans that is the way I had it set.  But again, nothing on the screen.

Will go back to 1.0a waiting on a fix.

Aug
AG5AT

Howard Cripe

I just updated the firmware to version 1.02, and it works perfectly. Thanks for the update.

Howard - N0AZ

On 11/6/2019 7:57 AM, Hans Summers wrote:

[...]

Doug Edwards

Hi group! I have been quietly reading the posts and constructing my first QCX. It's a 40 meter and when I called up the first alignment parameter, the band, I messed up! I was kinda happy when first powering up.. No smoke, it had some receiver noise quietly ringing a narrow cw filter. The display was even readable, the contrast almost set perfectly by luck. But what did I do? I set a 40 mtrs fig to 80 mtrs #! "*@#$&. How do I get back to the band question again to set properly? Thanks for group and neat gear, 72's, Doug, KM6OR.

On November 6, 2019, at 11:00 AM, Jim W8JD <jimd2002@...> wrote:

FYI I just upgraded mine from T1.01a and it works perfectly.  Love the upgrades Hans, it just keeps getting better.

Jim D

W8JD
73s

Denis DL5SFC

Hello Hans, thank you for the new Firmware. Upgrade just finished without problems with my atmel avr ice programmer.
The woodpecker is gone in receive but is now (or has moved) to the sidetone while trasmitting...
73
Denis DL5SFC

Jim W8JD

7.9 is a factory reset but ai have never tried it.

jimd2002@...

Hi group! I have been quietly reading the posts and constructing my first QCX. It's a 40 meter and when I called up the first alignment parameter, the band, I messed up! I was kinda happy when first powering up.. No smoke, it had some receiver noise quietly ringing a narrow cw filter. The display was even readable, the contrast almost set perfectly by luck. But what did I do? I set a 40 mtrs fig to 80 mtrs #! "*@#$&. How do I get back to the band question again to set properly? Thanks for group and neat gear, 72's, Doug, KM6OR.

On November 6, 2019, at 11:00 AM, Jim W8JD <jimd2002@...> wrote:

FYI I just upgraded mine from T1.01a and it works perfectly.  Love the upgrades Hans, it just keeps getting better.

Jim D

W8JD
73s

Jim W8JD

Yes the manual says that should work but of course you will loose any soft settings.

jimd2002@...