Topics

Feature request VFO/Sig Gen #vfo

Mike Berg

Could we get a programmable frequency offset that is added or subtracted to or from the CH0 entered frequency (pre multiply), but not the displayed value?
Software supporting direct conversion receivers often offers an offset to move away from low freq noise. For example, WSPR works well with a 12 kHz offset.
73
Mike N0QBH

geoff M0ORE

Is this different from the IF offset available on CLK1??

On 04/11/2019 20:42, Mike Berg wrote:
Could we get a programmable frequency offset that is added or subtracted to or from the CH0 entered frequency (pre multiply), but not the displayed value?
Software supporting direct conversion receivers often offers an offset to move away from low freq noise. For example, WSPR works well with a 12 kHz offset.
73
Mike N0QBH

Mike Berg

The manual says that a negative offset results in the set freq subtracted from the offset number input - rather than the offset subtracted from the freq.

When I enter -12000 in the offset I get an "E" error displayed.

If I use the Clk 1 mode offset, I'll have both clocks running, right?

73  Mike N0QBH

geoff M0ORE

The VFO I am using is set to a CLK1 offset of +35,400,000MHz for my application which has an IF of 35.4MHz. For your benefit, I have just set it to -000,012,000MHz and it is behaving as it should.

Are you setting the CLK1 frequency or the offset value?

Are you including the leading "0"'s?

On 05/11/2019 13:24, Mike Berg wrote:

The manual says that a negative offset results in the set freq subtracted from the offset number input - rather than the offset subtracted from the freq.

When I enter -12000 in the offset I get an "E" error displayed.

If I use the Clk 1 mode offset, I'll have both clocks running, right?

73  Mike N0QBH

Mike Berg

I adjusted the CLK0 offset value to -12000 with the leading zeros and got the error.
My guess is a positive value would work.

This isn't a big issue, it's just a viewing aid so the normal dial frequency is displayed with the offset hidden.
The build instructs said there was a lot of program space left over, so I thought I'd ask.
73 Mike N0QBH

geoff M0ORE

I set mine to give minus 12kHz and it worked OK.

After setting CLK 1 mode to IF offset, next config menu is CLK 1 Freq which is set to 000,000,000. Then next option is IF Offset which would be -000,0012,000 for your desired output and which I set mine to  test it. All OK here.

On 05/11/2019 16:43, Mike Berg wrote:

I adjusted the CLK0 offset value to -12000 with the leading zeros and got the error.
My guess is a positive value would work.

This isn't a big issue, it's just a viewing aid so the normal dial frequency is displayed with the offset hidden.
The build instructs said there was a lot of program space left over, so I thought I'd ask.
73 Mike N0QBH

Mike Berg

OK, so we are clear, which VFO output are you using, CLK0 or CLK1?

I'm using the VFO CLK0 to generate the 4x receive frequency on a QRP Labs receiver.
I haven't soldered any other SMA connectors on the pcb, yet.

I appreciate the help BTW.
73
Mike N0QBH

geoff M0ORE

I'm using CLK 1.

On 05/11/2019 18:36, Mike Berg wrote:

OK, so we are clear, which VFO output are you using, CLK0 or CLK1?

I'm using the VFO CLK0 to generate the 4x receive frequency on a QRP Labs receiver.
I haven't soldered any other SMA connectors on the pcb, yet.

I appreciate the help BTW.
73
Mike N0QBH

Alan G4ZFQ

OK, so we are clear, which VFO output are you using, CLK0 or CLK1?
I do not think anyone has asked about the firmware version?
https://www.qrp-labs.com/vfo.html

73 Alan G4ZFQ

geoff M0ORE

1.04 here.

On 05/11/2019 19:22, Alan G4ZFQ wrote:
OK, so we are clear, which VFO output are you using, CLK0 or CLK1?

I do not think anyone has asked about the firmware version?
https://www.qrp-labs.com/vfo.html

73 Alan G4ZFQ

Mike Berg

Latest version here, 1.04 I believe.
Received the kit about 2 weeks ago.
73 Mike N0QBH

Alan G4ZFQ

Latest version here, 1.04 I believe.
Mike

OK, early VFOs had problems.

I've just checked mine.
Set Clk 1 Mode to IF Offset
IF offset to -000,012,000
And clock 1 is 12KHz lower than clock 0

Which is what has already been said.
If the outputs are connected correctly it seems you have a fault. I'm not sure what to suggest.

73 Alan G4ZFQ

Mike Berg

I'm sorry, somehow, I have done a poor job of explaining what I want.
I want to have my suggested offset applied to the CLK0 output only.
That way it can be also tuned VFO style with the encoder and leaves CLK1 available for other things like a quadrature to CLK0.
Does this make any sense?

73  Mike N0QBH

Alan G4ZFQ

I want to have my suggested offset applied to the CLK0 output only.
That way it can be also tuned VFO style with the encoder and leaves CLK1 available for other things like a quadrature to CLK0.
Mike,

Ah! So you want the display to read 12KHz higher than the actual Clock 0 output.
If Hans does not see this then ask him.
(I do actually use a different VFO in a similar way, just mentally subtract the 12KHz, sometimes I use WSPR at 10KHz offset, easier.)

73 Alan G4ZFQ