Topics

40 meter qcx no display stopped working #40m

shipdit2000@...

purchased the 40 meter qcx and assembled it.
powered up and saw 80 meter on display, selected 40 meter and was about to align it when i had to shut it down to go on a fire call ( I am a firefighter ).
upon returning powered it up to align it and no display ( black, no back-light ) and howling noise when power switch turned off.
I would like to get this working again.

Jim Painter

The first thing I’d check would be the 5 and 12 volts.

Jim...kq3s

On Oct 21, 2020, at 10:58 PM, shipdit2000 via groups.io <shipdit2000@...> wrote:

purchased the 40 meter qcx and assembled it.
powered up and saw 80 meter on display, selected 40 meter and was about to align it when i had to shut it down to go on a fire call ( I am a firefighter ).
upon returning powered it up to align it and no display ( black, no back-light ) and howling noise when power switch turned off.
I would like to get this working again.

Shane Justice

Hi Shipdit,

Tell us about whether or not your QCX is in a case, or open, whether you had it on standoffs, or on the table surface, what type of surface, what kind of power supply, current capability of power supply, voltage of the power supply, whether you had a dummy load attached to the BNC, etc. The folks that will help you here need this sort of information to isolate the fault mechanisms and suggest methods to further refine what to check for the exact areas of the kit that may require repair.

Tell us what electronics experience you have, and what sort of test equipment you have at your disposal.

Best Regards,
Shane
KE7TR

On Oct 21, 2020 at 19:58, shipdit2000 via groups.io <shipdit2000@...> wrote:

purchased the 40 meter qcx and assembled it.
powered up and saw 80 meter on display, selected 40 meter and was about to align it when i had to shut it down to go on a fire call ( I am a firefighter ).
upon returning powered it up to align it and no display ( black, no back-light ) and howling noise when power switch turned off.
I would like to get this working again.

shipdit2000@...

open case! 122 volt battery, with dummy load connected
apparently one of the pins is not making contact very well.
applied lite pressure to the right end of display and it lit up perfectly.
I will re-flow the solder on the pins tomorrow
oops!! my eyesight isnt very good so i missed the poor joint during inspection.

thank s fellas for responding to my post. best regards  Ted

shipdit2000@...

oops 12 volts! big fingers and small keyboard.

shipdit2000@...

busy on fire calls so a bit late getting back to you.
I am a retired electrician (31 years) prior to that 10 years in the navy.
Im a computer technician, welding instructor, tv and radio repair, and certified spoiler of cats and grand-kids alike
I was also an electronics instructor up until i retired.
my test equipment includes :
a fluke true rms multimeter,
elenco digital multimeter, (20 years old)
techtronics dual trace o-scope,
handheld mini o=scope( the size of a cell phone),
a klien clamp-meter,
fluke megger,
hand built signal generator,
an lcr meter,
and an earth resistance tester

anyhow i missed the solder joint but found it quickly after i posted the message.
radio is now calibrated and working very well!

Shane Justice

Outstanding! So glad to hear you found the source of your problem, and you now have a functional radio!

Nice collection of test equipment! Sounds like ]out have all the necessary tools and experience, as well.

I look forward to hearing you on the band sometime!

I have spent the last 8 days at a dear friend's house, taking care of her after she had back surgery by an interventional radiologist to repair two cracked vertibra. I am looking forward to getting my QCX+ up and running in the next day or so.

Let me know if you want to try a QSO!

73,
Shane
KE7TR

On Oct 28, 2020 at 17:24, shipdit2000 via groups.io <shipdit2000@...> wrote:

busy on fire calls so a bit late getting back to you.
I am a retired electrician (31 years) prior to that 10 years in the navy.
Im a computer technician, welding instructor, tv and radio repair, and certified spoiler of cats and grand-kids alike
I was also an electronics instructor up until i retired.
my test equipment includes :
a fluke true rms multimeter,
elenco digital multimeter, (20 years old)
techtronics dual trace o-scope,
handheld mini o=scope( the size of a cell phone),
a klien clamp-meter,
fluke megger,
hand built signal generator,
an lcr meter,
and an earth resistance tester

anyhow i missed the solder joint but found it quickly after i posted the message.
radio is now calibrated and working very well!

shipdit2000@...

have yet to take the test and get my license ( due to covid crap many of the ve's dont want go out)!
and the requirements for online testing are ridiculous
(i did test my pixie2 with a 1/2 wave 40 meter sloper and was emailed by a friend 500 miles away he heard my test code)
he also gave me a bit of hell for calling without a ticket and call sign!( OOPS)

Shane Justice

You do NOT want to be caught doing this. The FCC will prohibit you from getting your license. This isn't CB. Hams WILL shun you.

Resist the temptation to transmit without a license. No good can come of it.

Shane
KE7TR

On Oct 30, 2020 at 19:16, shipdit2000 via groups.io <shipdit2000@...> wrote:

have yet to take the test and get my license ( due to covid crap many of the ve's dont want go out)!
and the requirements for online testing are ridiculous
(i did test my pixie2 with a 1/2 wave 40 meter sloper and was emailed by a friend 500 miles away he heard my test code)
he also gave me a bit of hell for calling without a ticket and call sign!( OOPS)

shipdit2000@...

no problem i didnt give any identifying info and i dont intend to transmit again until i get my license.
i have a good friend (my daughter in laws grandfather) who is my elmer , and hes helping me a lot.