OT: Linux

HB9FIH

Hi Paul

I^ve installed and run Linux Mint MATE 64 Bi now.

Installed CQRLog but runs into probems

MYSQL is installed and runs, also the Dbconfig-common MySQL/MariaDB support.  "Error during connection to database: TMySQL57Connection : Server connect failed."

Any else more to install ?

tnx for suggestions Erich

--
---
73 de Erich

HB9FIH

HS0ZLS

Kwacka <kwacka2@...>

Apologies, forgot to add:
"flwkey is a simple interface to the Winkeyer series of CW code generators. It can be used with both the Winkeyer1.x and 2.x series as well as the RigExpert and other units that either use the K1EL chipset or emulate it’s behavior.flwkey can run on Linux, Puppy, OS X and Windows computers".

Taken from the manual @ http://www.w1hkj.com/files/flwkey/flwkey-help.pdf

Paul, 5B8BA

Kwacka <kwacka2@...>

You need MySQL/MariaDB installed, but I believe CQRLog sets up its own database the first time you run it and enter your relevant details.

I've just purged & installed it on a Linux Mint desktop, and that's what happened here - saved in my home directory ~/.config/cqrlog

HTH

Paul, 5B8BA

James Daldry W4JED

Hi, Guys

I've found that, usually, if a program isn't from one of our corporate overlords it's written in Visual Basic, and you need to have VB6 installed in your wine configuration. Also, Common Controls occasionally mess you up.

Whenever you attempt to start a new installation of some .exe, open a termainal, navigate to the installation directory (.wine/"Program Files"/someprogramname/someprogramname.exe) and type wine programname.exe. If it starts you're gold and can start it from the wine menu the next time. If it doesn't start you will have the reason why it didn't start in your terminal - missing .dll, wind blowing the wrong way, etc.

The easy way to handle dependencies is to, instead of installing wine, install winetricks and it will bring in with it the stuff it needs. Then use winetricks to install VB6, common controls, and dotnet3. Then almost everything written by normal people will run.

Jim W4JED

On 11/30/19 8:08 PM, Andy Brilleaux via Groups.Io wrote:

On Sun, Dec 1, 2019 at 12:35 AM, Bruce K1FFX wrote:
[And worth mentioning that I've never
had any success with WINE].
WINE is far from perfect, but still quite useful.
I found that by invoking winecfg and setting the version of Windows to act on behalf of, does make a difference.
Some apps will install, others will NOT depending upon selected version.
Also, some apps save their settings,others don't depending upon Windows version selected in WINE.

Not easy to find out by yourself unless you're a lifelong tinkerer.

- Andy -

On Sun, Dec 1, 2019 at 12:35 AM, Bruce K1FFX wrote:
[And worth mentioning that I've never
WINE is far from perfect, but still quite useful.
I found that by invoking winecfg and setting the version of Windows to act on behalf of, does make a difference.
Some apps will install, others will NOT depending upon selected version.
Also, some apps save their settings,others don't depending upon Windows version selected in WINE.

Not easy to find out by yourself unless you're a lifelong tinkerer.

- Andy -

Bruce K1FFX

Hi, Simon (and others) -

Just to round out my end of the discussion:  Windows 7 is gone from the Dell laptop in the
ham shack ... now running Linux Mint.  Installation was very easy.
> On Linux I use CQRLOG https://www.cqrlog.com/about 
With regards to Windows software, and the logger in particular: I had a look at CQRLOG.  It certainly
would have worked satisfactorily.  However, it depends on MySQL server and client.  I've installed and managed
MySQL installations in the past and decided I didn't want to go there ... not yet anyway.  And it still left me
without the means to run WK3TOOL for managing my Winkeyer USB.  [And worth mentioning that I've never

So I installed VirtualBox ... again, the installation was very easy .... VB has gotten much better since the last
time I used it (2012) at identifying host hardware and pulling them into the virtual machine.  Installed WinXP in
a virtual machine ... again, no problem.   And then went ahead and installed N1MM and WK3TOOL.  It all runs great.

In the Spring, I'll look into a WK3TOOL replacement ... I doubt I'll find anything, but if I do, then I may well
go ahead with installing MySQL and CQRLOG.

Thanks to all!

- Bruce K1FFX

Dave New, N8SBE

Yes, Slackware user back in the days, also.

Kernel version 0.99pl14

Had to load it from a big stack of floppies.

My first CD distro was Yggdrasil, same kernel version.

All on a 486, and I splurged on 32MB of RAM - cost me USD$1000 in those days.

I was a machine vision developer at the time, and used Sun workstations at work, running SunOS 4.1.3U1 (the U1 meaning "You won", because Sun was going to drop support for SunOS but was badgered into putting out 'one more update')

Used Emacs and GNU960 cross-compiler tools from the FSF, which came on 5 1/4" cartridge tape, hosted on Sparc processors, targeting i960C-core processors that could do a C loop in 2 clocks.  We were driving a SIMD array of 128 parallel vision processors, created in Lattice 10K gate arrays.  At 25 MHz clock speed, we could do binary morphology on a B&W video frame in microseconds.

Heady stuff, then.

-- Dave, N8SBE

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [QRPLabs] OT: Linux
Date: Thu, November 21, 2019 1:27 pm
To: qrplabs@groups.io, <QRPLabs@groups.io>

Wow ..another "slacker" from the old days ...
Presently running Mint / Wine ..MicroCAP 12 runs fine ...(as does EZNEC 6)"

Without wine, "QUCS" as an alternative simulator

Jim

On Thursday, November 21, 2019, 12:24:14 PM UTC, Roney Monte <roneymonte@...> wrote:

I also use Linux since 1996.

I started with Slackware in a 486 PC with 4MB RAM. At that time, everything was so hard, and Linux users really needed to learn all tricks, text configurations and kernel compilations via command line shell. There was no easy GUI.

Since that I've always been using Linux and also teaching Unix (Solaris, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, Linux ... OSX).

Yes, I still need to use Windows 7 for some specific applications like Atmel Studio, etc.

Luckily we can use the "Wine" emulator, and I can run N1MM and many other windows programs... And also some OS integrations using Virtual Machines. And for hamradio users, there are lots of "new systems" capable to run in the Raspberry Pi as a tool or as a server!

Today I run "Linux Mint" in my mainly workstation, that's the most user friendly and I don't loose time.

73 de PY1ZB
Roney

jim

Wow ..another "slacker" from the old days ...
Presently running Mint / Wine ..MicroCAP 12 runs fine ...(as does EZNEC 6)"

Without wine, "QUCS" as an alternative simulator

Jim

On Thursday, November 21, 2019, 12:24:14 PM UTC, Roney Monte <roneymonte@...> wrote:

I started with Slackware in a 486 PC with 4MB RAM. At that time, everything was so hard, and Linux users really needed to learn all tricks, text configurations and kernel compilations via command line shell. There was no easy GUI.

Since that I've always been using Linux and also teaching Unix (Solaris, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, Linux ... OSX).

Yes, I still need to use Windows 7 for some specific applications like Atmel Studio, etc.

Luckily we can use the "Wine" emulator, and I can run N1MM and many other windows programs... And also some OS integrations using Virtual Machines. And for hamradio users, there are lots of "new systems" capable to run in the Raspberry Pi as a tool or as a server!

Today I run "Linux Mint" in my mainly workstation, that's the most user friendly and I don't loose time.

73 de PY1ZB
Roney

ajparent1/kb1gmx

I'm one of those that the computer is just supposed to work and by that I
do mean 24/7.  

I find that all interesting having put Linux on strongarm, blackfin, Rpi,  and
assorted wintel(Amd/intel dialed for winder) and older 486 hardware for
several decades.  Then again I run Unix V7 and BSD2.11 on pdp-11.

In fact the last cpu I've used that had a 3c509 is more than 15 years old.
It's in my Dell 486 pizza box with a whopping 32mb of ram. Least it is
for that generation of machines.  I keep that old machine for the fact
that is supports three of the legacy buses.

Last time I had to compile linux for myself was way back more than  22 years
ago and only because the only disti was crappy slackware V.9 and most of
the modern ones were didn't exist then.  Ubuntu has been successful on
all systems I've applied it to, Mint a good second all are off the Debian tree
so finding stuff is fairly painless.  Of course the RedHat tree is also good.

I see no reason with modern distributions to do that.

--
Please reply on list so we can share.
Off list email goes to trash, I had to due to scrapers.

James Daldry W4JED

Hi, Roney

Ah, yes. The fun of booting from a CD only to find the new kernel can't find the CD drive. Of needing to compile a kernel to have sound, as well as needing to know the IRQ, DMA, and IO port(s) of the sound card. The need to compile and install PCMCIA drivers to have the 3C509 ethernet card work. Having to know the type number of the graphics chip to have X work.

People ask why you don't use Arch Linux (or Gentoo or any other half-baked distro). Because we bought the computer go get stuff done, not to monkey around with stuff that barely works. The computer is smart enough to probe, find out what the values are, and plug them into the scripts. The excuse that you will learn bunches by reinventing the wheel is nullified by the fact that 6 months after you go through the pain, if anything goes wrong, you'll still have to go to Google to find out how to fix it. All you've done is wasted a whole day, or 2, 3, or 4, on a job that should have taken 20 minutes. Been there, done that, didn't even get a t-shirt for my effort. Now I just install Mint Mate. Everything just works. No searching for drivers. Click on the "network" icon in the file manager and there's the NAS, the networked printers, the wife's computer. Plug in the esata hard drive dock and it appears in a fresh instance of the file manager. Do file updates (not once a months - sometimes 2 a day) without rebooting. And on and on.

Jim W4JED

On 11/21/19 7:24 AM, Roney Monte wrote:

73 de PY1ZB
Roney

Roger Hill

Hi Hans.

Geany  is great..
I used it for Perl development for quite a while...then moved forward to vi!

Linux user since kernel 1.2.3

Roger
G3YTN
On 21 Nov 2019, at 13:34, Hans Summers <hans.summers@...> wrote:

Hello Roney

When I switched to Linux I noted with fear, that there is no Linux version of AVR Studio. I thought I would need to do it in WINE somehow. 

But I found I don't NEED to use AVR Studio. It is quite easy (compared to my expectations) to set up an AVR development environment without AVR Studio. 

I'm using Geany editor, or is a text editor but very full featured, more like a lightweight development environment. I easily set up make and an appropriate make file, which also is set up to flash the AVR via avrdude. Bear in mind I've never used make or Makefile before but Google helped me find a template and it was easy to edit for my purposes.

These commands can be initiated within Geany or at a terminal prompt. I use the terminal. So I type "make" to do compile the code or "make install" to flash it to the AVR via avrdude. 

I found Geany does everything I used to do in AVRStudio and is a lot more lightweight and fast. Overall my development speed is slightly faster now than when I used Windows and AVRStudio.

73 Hans G0UPL 

On Thu, Nov 21, 2019, 15:24 Roney Monte < roneymonte@...> wrote:

Today I run " Linux Mint" in my mainly workstation, that's the most user friendly and I don't loose time.

73 de PY1ZB
Roney

Hans Summers

Hello Roney

When I switched to Linux I noted with fear, that there is no Linux version of AVR Studio. I thought I would need to do it in WINE somehow. 

But I found I don't NEED to use AVR Studio. It is quite easy (compared to my expectations) to set up an AVR development environment without AVR Studio. 

I'm using Geany editor, or is a text editor but very full featured, more like a lightweight development environment. I easily set up make and an appropriate make file, which also is set up to flash the AVR via avrdude. Bear in mind I've never used make or Makefile before but Google helped me find a template and it was easy to edit for my purposes.

These commands can be initiated within Geany or at a terminal prompt. I use the terminal. So I type "make" to do compile the code or "make install" to flash it to the AVR via avrdude. 

I found Geany does everything I used to do in AVRStudio and is a lot more lightweight and fast. Overall my development speed is slightly faster now than when I used Windows and AVRStudio.

73 Hans G0UPL 

On Thu, Nov 21, 2019, 15:24 Roney Monte <roneymonte@...> wrote:

73 de PY1ZB
Roney

Roney Monte

73 de PY1ZB
Roney

dl5ybz@...

Only to be complete, Erich ...  if you are looking also for some VHF/UHF Contest   solution...   take a  look at http://tucnak.nagano.cz/wiki/Main_Page .     Tucnak  is a real match winner and Lada does a real great job ..and best of all..it runs perfect even on old  hardware ...  even  in an Terminal environment, if you like...  and it really does all a VHF/UHF Single or Group will need...     (

73 de Olaf / DL5YBZ

Stephen Farthing G0XAR JO92ON97

That’s interesting. I tried to join and it seems I’m already a member. 

73s Steve G0XAR freezing in a dark and gloomy England 

SkipF, NT1G <skip.flem@...>

You really think they still use 'humans'?

I think groups.io still has to "approve" the group but I don't see any problems.

Hopefully users should be able to join, and send messages without initial moderation and all that stuff.

Radio Amateurs and Linux radioamateursandlinux@groups.io

Group Description

A group for radio amateurs to discuss Linux.
For PC / Mac and Raspberry users.

There are no ban hammers, no banned naughty words and you will not be treated like children at Sunday School.
But members will be protected from rotten eggs who turn up on the group.

Please enjoy.

Nick Austen

Joined - thanks.
Nick

On Wed, 20 Nov 2019 at 9:14 am, Andy Brilleaux via Groups.Io <punkbiscuit=googlemail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Given the amount of interest in Linux on here, there is a new group.

https://groups.io/g/radioamateursandlinux

This should free up the QRP Labs group from having excess off topic posts.

Have fun.

73 de Andy

Given the amount of interest in Linux on here, there is a new group.

https://groups.io/g/radioamateursandlinux

This should free up the QRP Labs group from having excess off topic posts.

Have fun.

73 de Andy

HB9FIH

Now I decided nealy all.

CQRLOG already account made. Seems a vy gd solution. I assume my interface SCU-17 will run with my different Yaesu TX/RX. So I change from HRD to others - (HRD has always some issues especially for my different locations (prefixes and callsigns - at least abt 10)

2 Weeks I am in HB9 where I will install Linux Mint Mate 64Bit (ev Unbunu) on my new (a used) HB Laptop - exclusiv. I nee Open/Apache or Libre Office. Wine for my UCXLog for contests.  And urgent for me: Radmin for acces to a WIN10 RDP (this is a must because Delphi programm develop System does not run under Linux and my programs are running under-for WIN) .  Arduino, FreeCAD, KitCAD all are running with Linux.

I see a HAM OP can do all his requirements with Linux. 

73 Erich