OT: Linux

HB9FIH

Hi Paul

I^ve installed and run Linux Mint MATE 64 Bi now.

Installed CQRLog but runs into probems

MYSQL is installed and runs, also the Dbconfig-common MySQL/MariaDB support.  "Error during connection to database: TMySQL57Connection : Server connect failed."

Any else more to install ?

tnx for suggestions Erich

--
---
73 de Erich

HB9FIH

HS0ZLS

Kwacka <kwacka2@...>

Apologies, forgot to add:
"flwkey is a simple interface to the Winkeyer series of CW code generators. It can be used with both the Winkeyer1.x and 2.x series as well as the RigExpert and other units that either use the K1EL chipset or emulate it’s behavior.flwkey can run on Linux, Puppy, OS X and Windows computers".

Taken from the manual @ http://www.w1hkj.com/files/flwkey/flwkey-help.pdf

Paul, 5B8BA

Kwacka <kwacka2@...>

You need MySQL/MariaDB installed, but I believe CQRLog sets up its own database the first time you run it and enter your relevant details.

I've just purged & installed it on a Linux Mint desktop, and that's what happened here - saved in my home directory ~/.config/cqrlog

HTH

Paul, 5B8BA

James Daldry W4JED

Hi, Guys

I've found that, usually, if a program isn't from one of our corporate overlords it's written in Visual Basic, and you need to have VB6 installed in your wine configuration. Also, Common Controls occasionally mess you up.

Whenever you attempt to start a new installation of some .exe, open a termainal, navigate to the installation directory (.wine/"Program Files"/someprogramname/someprogramname.exe) and type wine programname.exe. If it starts you're gold and can start it from the wine menu the next time. If it doesn't start you will have the reason why it didn't start in your terminal - missing .dll, wind blowing the wrong way, etc.

The easy way to handle dependencies is to, instead of installing wine, install winetricks and it will bring in with it the stuff it needs. Then use winetricks to install VB6, common controls, and dotnet3. Then almost everything written by normal people will run.

73

Jim W4JED

On 11/30/19 8:08 PM, Andy Brilleaux via Groups.Io wrote:

On Sun, Dec 1, 2019 at 12:35 AM, Bruce K1FFX wrote:
[And worth mentioning that I've never
had any success with WINE].
WINE is far from perfect, but still quite useful.
I found that by invoking winecfg and setting the version of Windows to act on behalf of, does make a difference.
Some apps will install, others will NOT depending upon selected version.
Also, some apps save their settings,others don't depending upon Windows version selected in WINE.

Not easy to find out by yourself unless you're a lifelong tinkerer.

- Andy -

On Sun, Dec 1, 2019 at 12:35 AM, Bruce K1FFX wrote:
[And worth mentioning that I've never
had any success with WINE].
WINE is far from perfect, but still quite useful.
I found that by invoking winecfg and setting the version of Windows to act on behalf of, does make a difference.
Some apps will install, others will NOT depending upon selected version.
Also, some apps save their settings,others don't depending upon Windows version selected in WINE.

Not easy to find out by yourself unless you're a lifelong tinkerer.

- Andy -

Bruce K1FFX

Hi, Simon (and others) -

Just to round out my end of the discussion:  Windows 7 is gone from the Dell laptop in the
ham shack ... now running Linux Mint.  Installation was very easy.
> On Linux I use CQRLOG https://www.cqrlog.com/about
With regards to Windows software, and the logger in particular: I had a look at CQRLOG.  It certainly
would have worked satisfactorily.  However, it depends on MySQL server and client.  I've installed and managed
MySQL installations in the past and decided I didn't want to go there ... not yet anyway.  And it still left me
without the means to run WK3TOOL for managing my Winkeyer USB.  [And worth mentioning that I've never
had any success with WINE].

So I installed VirtualBox ... again, the installation was very easy .... VB has gotten much better since the last
time I used it (2012) at identifying host hardware and pulling them into the virtual machine.  Installed WinXP in
a virtual machine ... again, no problem.   And then went ahead and installed N1MM and WK3TOOL.  It all runs great.

In the Spring, I'll look into a WK3TOOL replacement ... I doubt I'll find anything, but if I do, then I may well
go ahead with installing MySQL and CQRLOG.

Thanks to all!

- Bruce K1FFX

Dave New, N8SBE

Yes, Slackware user back in the days, also.

Kernel version 0.99pl14

Had to load it from a big stack of floppies.

My first CD distro was Yggdrasil, same kernel version.

All on a 486, and I splurged on 32MB of RAM - cost me USD$1000 in those days.

I was a machine vision developer at the time, and used Sun workstations at work, running SunOS 4.1.3U1 (the U1 meaning "You won", because Sun was going to drop support for SunOS but was badgered into putting out 'one more update')

Used Emacs and GNU960 cross-compiler tools from the FSF, which came on 5 1/4" cartridge tape, hosted on Sparc processors, targeting i960C-core processors that could do a C loop in 2 clocks.  We were driving a SIMD array of 128 parallel vision processors, created in Lattice 10K gate arrays.  At 25 MHz clock speed, we could do binary morphology on a B&W video frame in microseconds.

Heady stuff, then.

73,

-- Dave, N8SBE