Topics

Thank You SO MUCH, Hans Summers! From KW0P #40m

Kurt

This little QCX and the documentation has by FAR exceeded my expectations. Beat kit I have ever built since the Heathkit days. Actually, it SURPASSES Heayhkit!!

https://www.brighteon.com/b6cac604-3a4e-4ef0-80b6-32b96ae206a9

On Tue, Oct 15, 2019 at 04:50 AM, Kurt wrote:
This little QCX and the documentation has by FAR exceeded my expectations. Beat kit I have ever built since the Heathkit days. Actually, it SURPASSES Heayhkit!!
I used to joke with Hans in the past that he's soon gonna be the 21st century Mr Heathkit.
He couldn't understand it. (bless him)
I was wrong too.
He's turned into Radio Shack, Dick Smith Electronics AND Heathkit for the 21st century ;-)

In Russia there's already talk that he's gonna be the new UW3DI soon.

(Showing my age here).

73 de Andy

David Wilcox

Whatever he is I will vote for him.

David J. Wilcox K8WPE’s iPad

On Oct 15, 2019, at 2:57 AM, Andy Brilleaux via Groups.Io <punkbiscuit@...> wrote:

On Tue, Oct 15, 2019 at 04:50 AM, Kurt wrote:
This little QCX and the documentation has by FAR exceeded my expectations. Beat kit I have ever built since the Heathkit days. Actually, it SURPASSES Heayhkit!!
I used to joke with Hans in the past that he's soon gonna be the 21st century Mr Heathkit.
He couldn't understand it. (bless him)
I was wrong too.
He's turned into Radio Shack, Dick Smith Electronics AND Heathkit for the 21st century ;-)

In Russia there's already talk that he's gonna be the new UW3DI soon.

(Showing my age here).

73 de Andy

Alan G4ZFQ

In Russia there's already talk that he's gonna be the new UW3DI soon.
Andy

I don't actually remember that but the link below does illustrate real home brew. Tens of thousands built.. or so one page said.

Almost 10 minute video just going round the transceiver, Russian song, birdsong, commentary.. http://pakvim.net/watch/1GWm14BG2z0

If that does not work http://pakvim.net/watch/fRulo_b8ky4 3rd video down on right.

Around that time I was using a Lafayette kit-built RX, nothing like as well built, lots of knobs to twiddle just to RX something.

73 Alan G4ZFQ

One on Ebay, different construction https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tested-Homemade-in-Russian-Transceiver-Radio-USSR-all-ham-bands-60w-GU19-USSR-/283412327494

On Tue, Oct 15, 2019 at 12:13 PM, Alan G4ZFQ wrote:
In Russia there's already talk that he's gonna be the new UW3DI soon.
Andy

I don't actually remember that but the link below does illustrate real home brew. Tens of thousands built.. or so one page said.

Alan, that is a UW3DI rig.

Bottom of the listing says -

   Home made in Russian Transceiver Radio  USSR all ham bands SSB CW 60w GU19 USSR   .GU-19 lamp  .
 It is legendary transceiver UW3DI  Yuri Kudryavtsev !!!!

I guess UW3DI was the sort of guy that G2DAF was in the UK at the time.

For those of us that were very active on HF, just about every Russian was proud to announce that they were using
a home brew UW3DI rig during the QSO.

Plenty of old Russian Radio magazines here http://retrolib.narod.ru/magazin.html

Have fun.

73 de Andy

Martin

My first tx was a Gelso VFO with 2 x PL 81 in the PA
had to adjuast the frequency during QSO as it was not very stable.

https://www.qsl.net/i0jx/geloso.html

73s
Martin
DK3UW

Alan G4ZFQ

My first tx was a Gelso VFO with 2 x PL 81 in the PA
My first TX was a SSB polyphase with an EL84 final. around 40 years before Hans' U3 RX.. I built it for top band as my FT707 did not have it. (Although it did after some mods.)
It was the best-sounding SSB TX I had until SDR came along.

First TX here, dates 2002... a single valve (tube) crystal-controlled triode-pentode ECL82 http://hanssummers.com/cwtx and yes, polyphase receiver with Huff Puff stabilized VFO http://hanssummers.com/polyphase ... I've sometimes said my station was a love letter to Pat G3VA (SK) who wrote his Tech Topics columns in RadCom every month for over 60 years without a break. Almost all of the transmitter/receiver circuits came from TT articles. TT was a great inspiration to me.

73 Hans G0UPL

On Tue, Oct 15, 2019 at 9:33 PM Alan G4ZFQ <alan4alan@...> wrote:
> My first tx was a Gelso VFO with 2 x PL 81 in the PA

My first TX was a SSB polyphase with an EL84 final. around 40 years
before Hans' U3 RX.. I built it for top band as my FT707 did not have
it. (Although it did after some mods.)
It was the best-sounding SSB TX I had until SDR came along.

polyphase receiver with Huff Puff stabilized VFO http://hanssummers.com/polyphase
Hans

Ah! The FST3253. My TX from Radcom Jan 76 used a SN7400. Sideband suppression was good but the old hands would mock my enthusiasm by pointing out the carrier null was only 20-30dB depending on the amount of drift since tweaking the presets.
Never tried the RX, the design was for 455KHz, inconvenient. I never thought of trying 1.8MHz directly.
I used Huff Puff in a converted Decca Voyager 160/80m. Should not have needed it at those frequencies I let it rectify my poor VFO skills.

73 Alan G4ZFQ