Topics

Updating to 101a just refuses to work per instructions

Gary Auchard

I've been trying to update my QCX transceiver to the new 101a file but it just won't work.  I'm using the process for updating with an Arduino UNO and the AVRDUDESS program.  I have the interconnect cable exactly as shown in the instructions plus everything set up per the instruction, and using the http://qrp-labs.com/images/qcx/firmware/T1.01a.hex as the file location.

All I get is an error message at the end after clicking on the Program button.

I have no clue what else is going wrong.  Anyone else had success using this set of instructions?

Gary A. - W0MNA

Chopper

Try holding the cursor over the link you posted then in the popup window click save link as.  This will save the hex file to your download location on your machine.  Use this as the location of the hex file to program with.

Chopper

Also in Averdudess, click identify chip and let the program choose the chip.  Then click read fuses.  Make sure that program fuses box is not checked.
Then hit GO under the hex file location.

Kelly Jack

Gary,

Can u post the output from avrdudess.

Simon
VK3ELH 

Gary Auchard

Here is what the message is that I see every time I click on the program button:

T1.01a.hex: 31,940 / 32,768 Bytes (97.47%)
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
>>>: avrdude -u -c arduino -p m328p -P COM28 -b 19200 -U flash:w:"C:\Amateur Radio\QRP Kits\QCX Transceiver\T1.01a.hex":a

avrdude.exe: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.01s

avrdude.exe: Device signature = 0xffffff (probably .reduced_core_tiny) (retrying)

avrdude.exe: Device signature = 0xffffff (probably .reduced_core_tiny) (retrying)

avrdude.exe: Device signature = 0xffffff (probably .reduced_core_tiny)
avrdude.exe: Yikes!  Invalid device signature.
             Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
             this check.

avrdude.exe done.  Thank you.

I'm using an Arduino UNO new out of the package, the interface cable is exactly like described in the updating article and everything is set per the instructions in both the UNO and the AVRDUDESS program.  I've even tried another new UNO with the same results.  I was able to save the hex file to a folder on my computer and told the program to find it there.

Gary A.

On Sun, Oct 13, 2019 at 8:14 PM Kelly Jack <kellyjack1968@...> wrote:
Gary,

Simon
VK3ELH 

Gary Auchard

I just found the problem......bad wire on my interface cable.  I just loaded the program in the QCX and it came up saying the revision level was 1.01a so it worked.

Thanks to everyone for helping with ideas on this problem.  Glad I was able to make this work and found out new uses for an Arduino UNO and a bit about AVRDUDESS also.

Gary A. - W0MNA

On Sun, Oct 13, 2019 at 8:33 PM Gary Auchard <w0mna74@...> wrote:
 Here is what the message is that I see every time I click on the program button:

>>>: avrdude -u -c arduino -p m328p -P COM28 -b 19200 -U flash:w:"C:\Amateur Radio\QRP Kits\QCX Transceiver\T1.01a.hex":a

this check.

I'm using an Arduino UNO new out of the package, the interface cable is exactly like described in the updating article and everything is set per the instructions in both the UNO and the AVRDUDESS program.  I've even tried another new UNO with the same results.  I was able to save the hex file to a folder on my computer and told the program to find it there.

Gary A.

Gary,

Simon
VK3ELH 

Garry48

Gary,

Do you literally mean  "and using the http://qrp-labs.com/images/qcx/firmware/T1.01a.hex as the file location" in the AVR software?
You need to right click on the link and do a 'file save' to your local drive.  Typically somewhere where you know the file location.
Then use that path or move the file to the subdirectory where your AVR programming software is.  You won't be able to download it across the internet using the AVR* programming software.

If you have it downloaded locally and it doesn't work, I don't have a clue.

Garry / WD0DUD

HB9FIH

Yes few days ago made without problems.

Win 7  64bit
Fuinduino
Avrdudess
From 1.00e to 1.01a

With the instruction from VE...
----------
73 de Erich
HB9FIH
HS0ZLS

Am 14. Oktober 2019 02:26:38 schrieb "Gary Auchard" <w0mna74@...>:

I've been trying to update my QCX transceiver to the new 101a file but it just won't work.  I'm using the process for updating with an Arduino UNO and the AVRDUDESS program.  I have the interconnect cable exactly as shown in the instructions plus everything set up per the instruction, and using the http://qrp-labs.com/images/qcx/firmware/T1.01a.hex as the file location.

All I get is an error message at the end after clicking on the Program button.

I have no clue what else is going wrong.  Anyone else had success using this set of instructions?

Gary A. - W0MNA

Don--AE4DW

An Arduino board and AVRdudess is my go-to for updating 328s; I can relate to your bad wire issue...I spent a couple hours a few weeks ago chasing an issue that turned out to be a certain someone having the 6 pin plug flipped on the Ardunio board....and since it still appeared to power the chip, didn't even think about that being the issue.

On Sun, Oct 13, 2019 at 09:40 PM, Gary Auchard wrote:
I just found the problem......bad wire on my interface cable.  I just loaded the program in the QCX and it came up saying the revision level was 1.01a so it worked.

Thanks to everyone for helping with ideas on this problem.  Glad I was able to make this work and found out new uses for an Arduino UNO and a bit about AVRDUDESS also.

Gary A. - W0MNA

On Sun, Oct 13, 2019 at 8:33 PM Gary Auchard <w0mna74@...> wrote:

this check.

Gary A.

Gary,

Simon
VK3ELH