Topics

#ProgRock - problems #progrock

Steinar Fremme <steinar@...>

Hello all!
I have a ProgRock - just build - used GPS unit to test the disciplining , but found the 10mHz std output to be 10.00134 MHz - and not changing at al
I have a common GPS receiver used for my other 10MHz time base used for all my instruments
The 1 pps trigger signal is about +4v. My two frequency counters are using my common frequency base - and they are quite accurate .
Well after letting it all stay powered on for 48 hours - just to see - still no changes of frequency out of the Si unit.

Well - next step was to program the unit for my intended 56.296MHz

Well first I noticed that the enter button was not giving me the 4 blinks al the time - sometime needed to press for 2 seconds before working etc …
YaYa - re-reading the manual - yes found that I had to ground the 1pps - my fault ...

Ok, the button fork better now - but sometimes it dos not “take” - have to press more than ones before I get the blinks (using different press timing), but the led dos light up

Well entered my 0456296000 + ENTER - power off + on

No I have no signal at the Si synth at all

Double checked my entering - should be correct , but also tried the 010 + ENTER - still nothing

For fun tries 0410000000 + ENTER - still nothing

Even tested the voltage on the chip itself - just to check that the switches do work as intended - yes it woks as it should

Now I’m not able get any signals from the Si Synth at all - what ever I’m doing
(Voltages are a lille bit high, but usable)

The question is - is it possible to damage the ship on the Si - by entering wrong values ?

Next will be to change into serial com for programming and reading - I do have som USB til serial 5V units - but as I don’t really need it - Was hoping the button programming could do

BTW: the Receiver module - using the Polyphase network module and a sound->USB adapter seems to work grate for my FT8 monitor
I’m going to build a separate FT8 monitor for all 8 major HF bands - so this was my first test - looks good so far.
Should probably try to widen up a little on the bandpass in the Polyp. Module - later on - next step :-)
But first I need theProgRock + Si to work ...

Regards
Steinar Fremme
Ham: OE4KSF

Steinar Fremme <steinar@...>

Well - after setting up the serial com, I find that the content of the registers are what I did program using the switches.
And the rest of the registers are as in default - except from the 27MHz reference that has changed somewhat from default
And checking that the controller signals going to the Si modules are getting there - using the 3.3V level changers.
So - I'm not able to find other options than the Si chip itselves are gone archive 13 ??
Supply voltage are correct , and have triple checked my solderings etc, and nothing wrong found.
Have others out there been able to damage the Si chip ?
Regards
73 de KNUT  OE4KSF

Alan G4ZFQ

Supply voltage are correct , and have triple checked my solderings etc, and nothing wrong found.
Have others out there been able to damage the Si chip ?
Steinar,

Have you done a reset? I'm sure it is in the manual somewhere.
I do not think you can damage the Si5351 by any settings.

73 Alan G4ZFQ

Steinar Fremme <steinar@...>

Thank you Alan - well have done the 010 + ENTER thing - but did not change anything - still not working
And the register settings a looking right
Only thing I'm seeing is that the 1pps have changed the 27MHz setting a bit - will try to set that to default and then see what happens
73 Knut OE4KSF

Steinar Fremme <steinar@...>

Did the rest by serial interface and reset the 27MHz reference back to default - from what I'm able to find in the manual - no changes - still doesn't work.
But having a oscilloscope on the output of the Si , I can se that its sending out a signal - for one second - before the controller is probably sending something the Si doesnt understand - and then stops ??
I probably need to hang on a I2C sniffer to see what the ProgRock controller is sending - will be the next thing !
I do have one - so I will try that - as it seems that the SI chip is somewhat working under power on
73 Knut OE4KSF

geoff M0ORE

When I set up my progrock, I calibrated the ref frequency which ended up a bit different to the original 27.004 MHz. This is only a typical value and may vary.  ( Mine is currently 25.008020MHz, as I used a 25 MHz crystal used not 27MHz as supplied) As you have the serial option working, change the value in reg2 and you will see the change in the output frequency immediately after pressing enter on the PC.

When you have the correct value in reg2, then connect the GPS signal to maintain that frequency. Remember to change the value in reg3, A value of 5 here will give a large variation in the final output before the GPS correction takes effect. you could try 0 here but experiment. You could also try changing the value in reg2 up and down by 1Hz and see what a difference that makes especially at 100MHz output. I kept a written record of my changes so I could refer back to see the effect that each has.

When you have it working as you want it, using the serial connection, take a hard copy so if you need to re-visit later you can see the values used.

You can't damage the chip by inputting wrong values.

On 20/09/2019 16:22, Steinar Fremme via Groups.Io wrote:
Thank you Alan - well have done the 010 + ENTER thing - but did not change anything - still not working
And the register settings a looking right
Only thing I'm seeing is that the 1pps have changed the 27MHz setting a bit - will try to set that to default and then see what happens
73 Knut OE4KSF

Alan G4ZFQ

Only thing I'm seeing is that the 1pps have changed the 27MHz setting a bit - will try to set that to default and then see what happens
Knut

Is there anything on clock 2? There should be a signal that is measured by the ATTiny when in GPS mode.
It is looking as if there might be a fault in the Synth board.

73 Alan G4ZFQ

Steinar Fremme <steinar@...>

Thank you Alan
Yes, when the board was in GPS mode - there was a signal there.
Now it's not in GPS mode - as it does not work at all - as seen in other messages.
Well - I have ordered two replacement boards - then I have more to compare with

73 Knut OE4KSF

Steinar Fremme <steinar@...>

An update on this one

I got the new Si module - and found that I had the same issue - not working - hmmm
Took a close look under the microscope and found a tiny tiny short on two bank selector  pins
 Fikset that - and now its working :-)

So the first out of 8 of my new project for a FT8 monitor bank is now up and working :-)

Have to work a little on the sensitivity of the receiver , but it dos work :-)

73 Knut OE4KSF