Topics

Clock kit: new firmware version 1.03

Hans Summers

Hi all

I have just released a small upgrade to the clock kit firmware. The clock kit: http://qrp-labs.com/clockn is a lot of fun for only $19. Particularly if you already have a QLG1 GPS.

This new version fixes the infamous "local date bug". It also adds Sidereal time (Greenwich and local sidereal time); day of week, altitude in feet, and averaging of ADC readings. The list of changes is:

- Added #UH, #UM, #US tags for Greenwich Sideral Time
- Added #TH, #TM, #TS tags for Local Sidereal Time
- Added #AF tag for altitude in feet
- Added #DA, #D3 tags for UT weekday in full and 3-letter abbreviation respectively
- Added #LA, #L3 tags for Local weekday in full and 3-letter abbreviation respectively
- ADC now averages 100 samples to reduce noise (for temperature calculation etc)
- Bug fix: Local date now fixed (was showing yesterday)

Note that Sidereal time is calculated realtime from the GPS information (it requires GPS to operate Sidereal time). Local Sidereal time uses the calculated Greenwich Sidereal time then adjusts for your actual position using the longitude information parsed from the GPS data. The Sidereal time update on the display is asynchronous to UT or Local time updates; this is because Sidereal Time is calculated with fractional second accuracy and the display update (hours, minutes, seconds tags are available) updates on the second update event, which is in general offset from the ordinary time. Actually Sidereal time gains 1 second about every 6 minutes; you can see the offset between Sidereal time and ordinary time updates on the display change from 0 to 1 second over the course of 6 minutes.

If you have an AVR programmer and want this new version, you can download it here: http://qrp-labs.com/images/clockkit/firmware/c1.03.hex (right click and select Save As, then edit the file name to c1.03.hex (remove the .txt extension).

If you wish to purchase a programmed chip, they are in the shop see http://shop.qrp-labs.com/clockchip

P.S. If any of you know of any astronomy-related groups/forums where it would be useful to inform them about the Sidereal time feature, please let me know. As far as I know, there is no other reasonably priced standalone clock or clock kit that can display Sidereal time.
73 Hans G0UPL

On Sat, Sep 7, 2019 at 8:28 AM Hans Summers via Groups.Io <hans.summers=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Stefan

Sounds very interesting, Hans - thank you!
I just finished my QLG1 and Clock kit yesterday and am very happy with it. Now I should probably buy a AVR programmer to do the update from C1.02a to 1.03 ;-)

I tried to get GPS signals in the basement of my house. The antenna was mounted on the window of the light shaft. But there seems to be too much concrete and steel available. I gave up the GPS-search after two hours and went up one floor. After a few minutes I had a good enough signal :-)

Great little kits :-)

Dean Smith

Sidereal time.... wow it just gets better!!
Thanks yet again for all your time and effort on the clock side of things,
i know you've got youre hands full with the QSX side of things. :-)

Greg Walters

So I have the clock kit now, kind of wanted another for no good reason. You just gave me that reason. Plus, I ordered the clock chip for good measure.

I don't have an AVR programmer, but may get one to try before the new chip gets here...

Is it very challenging to program these? I've never programmed anything...
Greg
KY4GW

Dean Smith

just set up v1.03! :-)
i'm noticing that #LA gives Saturdayday?
don't know if it's my end? anyone else??

Hans Summers

Hi Dean

Thanks, I checked the code, and there is a typo. Only on Saturdays. Of course, I wasn't testing on Saturday :-(   Many apologies...

I will fix it and make a v1.03a (bug fix version).

Several people ordered chips and clocks, anyway nothing will be sent until Monday as usual; so I will make sure that all existing unshipped orders get the 1.03a version with the Saturdayday bug fix...

If anyone else notices anything strange please say so now!

73 Hans G0UPL

On Sat, Sep 7, 2019 at 4:17 PM Dean Smith <bardezbiker@...> wrote:
just set up v1.03! :-)
i'm noticing that #LA gives Saturdayday?
don't know if it's my end? anyone else??

Hans Summers

P.S. quite how someone who meant to type "Saturday" could type "Saturdayday" is obviously an unresolved mystery.
Send the men in white coats...

On Sat, Sep 7, 2019, 16:31 Hans Summers via Groups.Io <hans.summers=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Dean

Thanks, I checked the code, and there is a typo. Only on Saturdays. Of course, I wasn't testing on Saturday :-(   Many apologies...

I will fix it and make a v1.03a (bug fix version).

Several people ordered chips and clocks, anyway nothing will be sent until Monday as usual; so I will make sure that all existing unshipped orders get the 1.03a version with the Saturdayday bug fix...

If anyone else notices anything strange please say so now!

73 Hans G0UPL

On Sat, Sep 7, 2019 at 4:17 PM Dean Smith <bardezbiker@...> wrote:
just set up v1.03! :-)
i'm noticing that #LA gives Saturdayday?
don't know if it's my end? anyone else??

Bill Cromwell

Hi,

The magic of cut and paste:)

73,

Bill KU8H

--
bark less - wag more

Art N4EZZ

I have written programs which did a lot of date and time math, it is
really easy to get confused and make mistakes. If the worst problem is
an fat finger error in a text string then that is excellent.

Now, where to put that local sidereal time.

Art N4EZZ <n4ezz@...>
GnuPG key ID 0x6712DD0E
=============================
Deja-Moo: The feeling that you've heard this bull before.
Unattributed

http://qrp-labs.com

On Sat, Sep 7, 2019 at 4:17 PM Dean Smith <bardezbiker@...> wrote:

just set up v1.03! :-)
i'm noticing that #LA gives Saturdayday?
don't know if it's my end? anyone else??

Bob / WA1MIK

I think it has something to do with that old Beatles song: Eight Days a Week".

Bob M.

K9WIS

I work at the Horwitz DeRemer Planetarium, You clock is a major upgrade from the arduino one I codded up and built many years ago that does not include the GPS. I plan to purchase a kit next week and put it on display in our lobby and also write up a review for some of the local Astro Club and Ham newsletters in the area. We are also working on a planetarium program on Time.  I can give it a plug then. And if we deem it easy to build maybe offer a STEM workshop to build the kit, but that is in the plans for the future folder..

Here is a couple of questions..
Can I capture time with the push of a button...Useful for timing occultations and eclipses..especially if I am using a photometer that can trigger the capture.

Is there an option for and audible tick or time announcement like WWV..

Brian K9WIS

[...]

Tony McUmber

"quite how someone who meant to type "Saturday" could type "Saturdayday" is obviously an unresolved mystery.

Send the men in white coats..."

Obviously you meant to differentiate from Saturdaydaynight for those who are not used to 24-hour time.

Curt M.

Yea!  Thanks Hans. Been waiting for the local time fix. I bought and built two clocks about a week before the local time bug discovered. One I REALLY wanted local time to work on one of them and the other one it didn’t matter.

Thanks!

Hans Summers

Hi Brian

It's very cool, the clock & GPS combination allowing calculation of Sidereal time - both Greenwich sidereal Sandoval sidereal using the longitude from the GPS too.

There isn't currently a way to snapshot a time on a button push. Nor audible click or time announcement. If you have some suggestions of things that could be very useful for astronomy purposes please email me off list and we can discuss it further.

The Sidereal time calculations were from the book "Practical Astronomy with your Pocket Calculator", 2nd edition (see attached).

It's a nostalgic flash-back to around 1987 when I coded most of the book in BASIC on a Sinclair ZX81 computer! I have half a plan to eventually to add sunrise/set and moonrise/set and others to the Clock kit.

73 Hans G0UPL

On Sat, Sep 7, 2019, 18:19 B C <k9wis@...> wrote:
[...]

Don--AE4DW

On Sat, Sep 7, 2019 at 06:33 AM, Greg Walters wrote:
So I have the clock kit now, kind of wanted another for no good reason. You just gave me that reason. Plus, I ordered the clock chip for good measure.

I don't have an AVR programmer, but may get one to try before the new chip gets here...

Is it very challenging to program these? I've never programmed anything...
Greg
KY4GW

I find flashing AVRs to not be as easy as flashing Microchip PICs, but that's just me.

For Atmel, I went with the Adafruit programmer, their version of the USBTiny: https://www.adafruit.com/product/46

Use avrdude and averdudess as your UI, and its not too bad. AVRdudess definitely eliminated the majority of the agony I experienced trying to do command line chip flashing via avrdude.

For 328P Atmel chips specifically, I just use an Arduino board to hold the chip and make the 6 pin ISCP connection. I'm sure there are other (likely better..) ways to do it, but thats how I've done it when its that chip specifically.

Greg Walters

Thanks Don.

I'll have to check that out. The only programming I ever did was way back in middle school, I think, and that was BASIC. I don't remember much of any of it now, though I am interested.
Greg
KY4GW

Dean Smith

Hi, just uploaded 1.03a version clock software, on a 4 line clock.

Line 1 I'm displaying UTC which seems fine.  16:53
Line 2 I'm displaying local time. Here at this time of year is +1 hour. Local offset is +060!  17:53
Ok all fine to this point.
Line 3 I'm displaying local sidereal time 16:06 ?? I'm west of GMT! Time should be minus a little -0.2 west of Greenwich.
Line 4 I'm displaying GMT sidereal time 16:08?? Now very confused.....
#UH and #TH don't appear to help if you use local offset function??
Anybody wanna have a stab at this one hi!

Hans Summers

Hi Dean

What is your actual longitude reported by the clock? Including the sign (E/W)?

The #UH/M/S tags should display Greenwich Sidereal Time (GST).

The #TH/M/S tags should display Local Sidereal Time (LST).

Local Sidereal Time has nothing at all to do with the local time offset setting which only applies to UT not Sidereal time. Whereas UT and local time offsets are human specified, the relation ship between GST and LST is specified only by the locality's longitude.

LST is GST - longitude / 15.0. For example in my case I'm 28.something degrees East and so my LST is nearly 2 hours ahead of GST.

73 Hans G0UPL

On Mon, Sep 9, 2019, 20:01 Dean Smith <bardezbiker@...> wrote:
Hi, just uploaded 1.03a version clock software, on a 4 line clock.

Line 1 I'm displaying UTC which seems fine.  16:53
Line 2 I'm displaying local time. Here at this time of year is +1 hour. Local offset is +060!  17:53
Ok all fine to this point.
Line 3 I'm displaying local sidereal time 16:06 ?? I'm west of GMT! Time should be minus a little -0.2 west of Greenwich.
Line 4 I'm displaying GMT sidereal time 16:08?? Now very confused.....
#UH and #TH don't appear to help if you use local offset function??
Anybody wanna have a stab at this one hi!

Dean Smith

Ok 000°20'4"58232 west if I have that right here in the outbacks of at albans