Topics

My QCX40 .....

Stephen Farthing G0XAR JO92ON97

Dear all,

Just to say my QCX40 is complete. I’ve measured an output power of a gnats nadger below 6 watts. The receiver seems plenty sensitive and selective. Now all I have to do is remember the code and get the nerve up to use the damned thing.

I’ve another QCX 40 to make to try out my pal Guido’s SSB conversion and a QCX 20 still in the bag.

Greetings from a thundery but cooler South Norfolk

Steve G0XAR

Hans Summers

Hi Steve

Many congratulations OM!

I have a lot of fun on mine in the odd spare hour early morning at the crack of dawn, or late night... when there is quiet and a stolen peaceful hour.

Since Monday, I have been on 40m CW and worked New Zealand, US, Japan, Qatar, Israel, and ~20 countries all around Europe from Northern Finland to Cyprus and loads in between. Admittedly, not QRP... QCX-40 driving my junkbox 60W amp (2x IRF510 push-pull, run at 24V). VK, still elusive...

Have fun!

73 Hans G0UPL

On Fri, Jul 26, 2019 at 2:12 PM Stephen Farthing G0XAR JO92ON97 <squirrox@...> wrote:
Dear all,

Just to say my QCX40 is complete. I’ve measured an output power of a gnats nadger below 6 watts. The receiver seems plenty sensitive and selective. Now all I have to do is remember the code and get the nerve up to use the damned thing.

I’ve another QCX 40 to make to try out my pal Guido’s SSB conversion and a QCX 20 still in the bag.

Greetings from a thundery but cooler South Norfolk

Steve G0XAR

@CurtisM

Steve

Instead say this rig is way cool, and that cw is cool music. Grab what you remember and let rest drop to the floor.

Minor, but not likely you are getting 6w from a convetional 12 or 13.8 volt power supply. 3 watts is the norm, not a huge difference from 5w. Maybe I should keep you thinking this rig is the larger critter.  it rocks.

Curt

Hans Summers

Hi Curt

The 40m QCX is well capable of almost 5W at 12V supply and 6W at 13.8V. Steve's figures aren't far off what I measure.

20m, requires a bit more help (higher supply voltage).

73 Hans G0UPL

On Fri, Jul 26, 2019 at 2:25 PM wb8yyy via Groups.Io <wb8yyy=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Steve

Instead say this rig is way cool, and that cw is cool music. Grab what you remember and let rest drop to the floor.

Minor, but not likely you are getting 6w from a convetional 12 or 13.8 volt power supply. 3 watts is the norm, not a huge difference from 5w. Maybe I should keep you thinking this rig is the larger critter.  it rocks.

Curt

Stephen Farthing G0XAR JO92ON97

Hi guys,

I got my 6 watts out with an input of 13.8 volts 0.56 amperes. I measured the output power with my QRP Labs dummy load and a new multi meter. I’ll get the scope out tomorrow and take another reading. But the meter wasn’t cheap so I’m pretty confident it’s accurate. Rather than do the arithmetic I used the nice graph of output voltage vs power in the QCX manual.

Next step is to trim my end fed half wave antenna to be resonant on the CW portion of the band. That’s the last excuse!

Have a great weekend

Steve G0XAR