Topics

QCX R36 Replacement Needed-Volume Control

Brian N7BKV

Well, I wore out the volume control!  That is R36.  5K Logarithmic potentiometer.   Has anyone replaced theirs yet?
I am looking for a source and part number for a work-alike, fit-alike unit.
Common part to be sure, but would be easiest for follow in someone else's successful footsteps.

Thanks in advance.

Brian N
N7BKV

Ham Radio

Did you try contact cleaner on the pot?  That pot should last for years ...

--
73, Bernie, VE3FWF

Brian N7BKV

Yes, I used cleaner.  No joy.

Ted 2E0THH

Hi Brian

I think you will find the 5k pot supplied is linear (even though the schematic says log).
Ideally log, but the difference is not that alarming.
5k logs are actually quite hard to find and expensive (UK)

73s Ted
2E0THH

James Daldry W4JED

Hi, Brian

After years of using Wsssh, Deoxid, Channel Master silicone, LubriClean, WD-40, and a host of other spray cleaners, I've found what works best on volume controls is a drop of automotive motor oil. It even works on cheap Chinese 10-for-a-buck volume controls, which have to be lubricated before first use, or they're noisy.

By the way, you use Wsssh with a Gozinta. It's a brass cylinder with a plunger, and a 3/8 inch i.d. tubular "business end. You pull the plunger back, put a few drops of Wsssh in the "business end, pull the knob off the control, and screw the tube onto the control threads. You then push the plunger in, blowing the cleaner past the shaft bearing and into the control. You clean the control without pulling the chassis out of the cabinet. Cool.

Jim W4JED

On 7/25/19 11:09 PM, Brian N7BKV wrote:
Yes, I used cleaner.  No joy.