Topics

clear tape on GPS kit chip

Stephen

i just got my gps kit.  looking at the board, it looks like the premounted chip has clear adhesive tape on it as if holding it to the board.

should i remove it or leave it?
--
Stephen - AC2GW

Alan de G1FXB

The description of a chip is confusing, other than the pre mounted GPS module the PCB is bare.

The GPS Antenna has adhesive tape to affix allowing easy soldering if you choose the inbuilt antenna option.
see pages 6 & 7 of the assembly manual.
Is this what you are describing?

Alan

On 20/07/2019 13:18, Stephen wrote:
i just got my gps kit. ?looking at the board, it looks like the premounted chip has clear adhesive tape on it as if holding it to the board.

should i remove it or leave it?
--
Stephen - AC2GW

Chris Wood

Stephen

My QLG-1 had the tape over the pre-fitted GPS chip.  Left in place, works fine.

Chris
G4CWS

Stephen

thanks. i wasn’t sure if any soldering nearby would bother the tape
--
Stephen - AC2GW

DON MAYHALL

AC2GW,

I removed the tape...no apparent operational effect.
I'm using an external GPS antenna with my unit.

Don / N5DM

Don--AE4DW

I left the tape on both boards I built, they work fine.

Sounds like, no effect either way.

Hans Summers

Hi all

The tape is only stick on for the purposes of preventing damage during shipping. You can remove it or not, as you wish.

73 Hans G0UPL