Topics

Shipping route question

 

This probably comes off as whining but it's not. It'll get here when it gets here. I'm in no particular hurry. I just thought the starting point and time spent in NY was odd. It's been a while since I've ordered so maybe this is the new normal?

Back on the 8th I ordered a few things from QRP Labs (and again today). According to tracking, here's the route it has taken so far:

June 11, 2019, 8:52 am 
Acceptance 
TURKEY 

June 13, 2019, 2:28 pm 
Processed Through Facility 
ISTANBUL PAKET MERKEZI, TURKEY

June 13, 2019, 4:42 pm 
Processed Through Facility 
ISTANBUL ULUSLARARASI POSTA ISLEM, TURKEY

June 19, 2019, 2:10 pm 

Processed Through Facility 
ISC NEW YORK NY(USPS)  

Customs (doesn't say where)

June 21, 2019, 7:31 am 
Arrived at USPS Regional Facility 
JAMAICA NY INTERNATIONAL DISTRIBUTION CENTER   

13 days and counting. This is looking like a 3 week ship time. Is that normal? I just ordered a couple of QCX kits. Based on the order I placed on the 8th I decided to lead the target a bit and aim for where I think I will be in 3 weeks, not two.

Why did it start in Turkey?

It's been hanging around NY for a while. Maybe that's the norm for international shipments these days? In the US, the longer something stays in the shipping system, the greater the likelihood of it being destroyed or lost so that's a concern. Hopefully time spent in NY isn't a direct correlation to travel time remaining. 

--
73
NE5U

Mike

N3MNT
 

See shipping information on the QRP labs web site.  It explains the Turkey question and also gives very current min avg and max ship times to all over the globe.

ajparent1/KB1GMX
 

Start in Turkey as theat is the home of QRPLabs..

The Jamaica NY center is likely one of the busiest for international 
shipments.

3 weeks is normal.    Two weeks would be incredible luck.

Allison

Don--AE4DW
 

As Allison said, 8 days to get from Turkey to US is phenomenal, definitely better than I've experienced; my two shipments were in the mid 20 day range both times, that's typical based on Hans' published data. Turnaround time once in Jamaica was 24-48 hours. From what I have seen with US shipments from Turkey, Jamaica (JFK Airport, etc) is the acceptance point for all of them.

You're in the home stretch..don't fret! Also remember signature is required for delivery.

My bet is, 25% chance of delivery on Monday, 75% chance on Tuesday, and sure bet you'll have it by Wednesday. Hopefully the USPS won't make me look bad, lol.

 

 

Bill Cromwell
 

Hi,

My signature was not required for my delivery from QRP Labs. I wonder why yours was and mine wasn't. As for the time it took - I ordered it one day and it was delivered "some other day". I waited 72 years to order those goodies so a few days one way or another made no significant difference:) If it was some kind of urgent I would have ordered it forty years ago!

73,

Bill KU8H

On 6/22/19 7:23 AM, Don--AE4DW wrote:
As Allison said, 8 days to get from Turkey to US is phenomenal, definitely better than I've experienced; my two shipments were in the mid 20 day range both times, that's typical based on Hans' published data. Turnaround time once in Jamaica was 24-48 hours. From what I have seen with US shipments from Turkey, Jamaica (JFK Airport, etc) is the acceptance point for all of them.
You're in the home stretch..don't fret! Also remember signature is required for delivery.
My bet is, 25% chance of delivery on Monday, 75% chance on Tuesday, and sure bet you'll have it by Wednesday. Hopefully the USPS won't make me look bad, lol.
--
bark less - wag more

 

The Turkey question was purely curiosity. That was not the home of QRP Labs when I ordered the piles of WSPR receivers, bandpass filters, clocks, etc. that I have bought and assembled over the years but I haven't ordered in a while. Things change and all that jazz.

Time spent enroute - agreed. All things considered it made it to the US pretty quickly.

Time spent in the state of New York... that's the one that makes no sense to me. 3 days and still hasn't shipped from Jamaica, NY.

Like I said in the second sentence, "It'll get here when it gets here. I'm in no particular hurry."

Based on the tracking for this shipment I changed the delivery location for the two QCX kits that I just ordered.

--
73
NE5U

Mike

 

Bill, the only way I can see Hans improving his kits is if he was to start using tubes. :) Kidding of course, sort of.

I've never had to sign for a QRP Labs package. Maybe that changed or maybe it's because I still live far enough out of a small enough town that my mail service is "old school". The mail carrier even gone so far as pick up a FedEx package that FedEx left on the ground by the mail box by the side of the road and stick it in the mailbox for me (FedEx can't do that). The mail box is 150' from the house :) 

Nothing urgent. Like I said in the first post- "It'll get here when it gets here. I'm in no particular hurry".
--
73
NE5U

Mike

Don--AE4DW
 

The signature requirement situation is interesting. I am also very rural, same address for 20+ years, they definitely know me and that I get plenty of overseas shipments. But both Turkey shipments, and both China case shipments, required signature. China shipments, for me, are about 50/50 for signature, depending on how they're shipped.

I do get the sense current leadership at my local post office is very much by the book, which didn't used to be the case. But then, its the USPS, so its anyone's guess.

David Wilcox
 

We shouldn’t knock the USPS as they now deliver on Sunday with Amazon Prime..... I thought they were joking when they first started telling me it would be delivered in two days if that day was Sunday.  They now contract with small delivery companies for Sunday delivery.

Dave K8WPE

David J. Wilcox K8WPE’s iPad

On Jun 22, 2019, at 2:27 PM, Don--AE4DW <dwinflorida@...> wrote:

The signature requirement situation is interesting. I am also very rural, same address for 20+ years, they definitely know me and that I get plenty of overseas shipments. But both Turkey shipments, and both China case shipments, required signature. China shipments, for me, are about 50/50 for signature, depending on how they're shipped.

I do get the sense current leadership at my local post office is very much by the book, which didn't used to be the case. But then, its the USPS, so its anyone's guess.

Bill Cromwell
 

Hi David,

I have been a fan of the Post Office since I was about age 8 and that was much more than a month ago! In fact it was before the internet! I could communicate with people all over the world! I could order fascinating and interesting things from the mail order catalogs and more than half of my clothing came from such places - via U.S. Mail of course.

FedEx and UPS must overcome massive inertia to get me sending anything with them.

73,

Bill KU8H

On 6/23/19 5:29 AM, David Wilcox via Groups.Io wrote:
We shouldn’t knock the USPS as they now deliver on Sunday with Amazon Prime..... I thought they were joking when they first started telling me it would be delivered in two days if that day was Sunday.  They now contract with small delivery companies for Sunday delivery.
Dave K8WPE
David J. Wilcox K8WPE’s iPad
On Jun 22, 2019, at 2:27 PM, Don--AE4DW <dwinflorida@... <mailto:dwinflorida@...>> wrote:

The signature requirement situation is interesting. I am also very rural, same address for 20+ years, they definitely know me and that I get plenty of overseas shipments. But both Turkey shipments, and both China case shipments, required signature. China shipments, for me, are about 50/50 for signature, depending on how they're shipped.

I do get the sense current leadership at my local post office is very much by the book, which didn't used to be the case. But then, its the USPS, so its anyone's guess.
--
bark less - wag more

Don--AE4DW
 

Totally agree. Remember 40+ years ago spending paper route money on parts from Jameco or DigiKey, thrilled when I have them in a week, and thats after going to the bank for a money order and dropping the order in the nearest mailbox.

While its easy to bash them, they do seem to be doing a lot of right things to try to stay competitive. As Dave said, contracting delivery with Amazon is huge, I've gotten deliveries on Sundays and even a holiday. The flat-rate shipping is a nice touch, tracking tools, etc., etc.

Now they just need to get Mike's stuff to him and we'll all be happy, lol.