Topics

40m AMMO CAN FINDS A NEW HOME & NEEDS ADVICE! #qcx #40m #antennalaunching

Steve Raas - N2JDQ - FN13DD
 

My 40M Ammo can QCX and I have found a new home (Well a second home) . 1.6 Acres in the Western VA Mountains. Its for sure no perfect location, but I have trees TALL TALL SCARY trees that tower over what seems everything, and lots of land.. as well as some ambition, however I only have a 6' step ladder! DOE!!! (Homer voice) What are you fellas using to launch fishing line up high to string antennas? And by high I mean HIGH..60+ feet. I been QRV a bit signing N2JDQ/4 but its just a low cloud burning dipole ..its time for some height! I do love my QCX, but a full QRO rig is in my near future..but dont fret, Ill never part with my QCX I absolutely love the thing!

-Steve Raas
N2JDQ/4 (At the moment)
Boonsboro, VA ( NW of Lynchburg )

ajparent1/KB1GMX
 

THe tool I used is a modified WristRocket to include a spinning reel
full of 10 pound test and the weight is a 1-1.5oz sinker.

That has worked for stuff to 60ft (tall for here) with ease.  
More often I'm shooting for crook or limb in a useful place
rather than just over the whole shrub.

Once over I use it to pull back a piece of .050 paracord which is
strong enough to pull heavy lines if needed.  The usual line is
5/16 or 1//4 inch dacron line.

Allison

w7asa@...
 

First - congratulations!

Second - similar situation here, surrounded by 110' + trees.  I use a pneumatic launcher which is accurate ans easily puts lines over my trees.  This is the modle I use.

http://www.antennalaunchers.com/csv19/
--
If you cannot do the good you would, do the good you're able.

Phillip Fimiani
 

How about a nice strong sling shot... Thin wire... small fishing weight... Never used one myself, but we had one of those two man long surgical tubing sling shots at a camp out once.... Awesome flight with eggs! Should send over a few trees!
Water Balloon Launcher 400 Yard Long Range, 3 Person Balloon Large Slingshot

or...
https://www.artofmanliness.com/articles/diy-weekend-project-how-to-make-a-slingshot/

So long as its not agin the law in West  Va!

Phil
KD2HTN

jjpurdum
 

Check your club. Someone may have a draw with a "claw" and TV camera on it. That's the case for me and the Al (AC8GY) managed to drop the weight through a 3' opening in the canopy of trees...worked like a champ.

Jack, W8TEE



On Thursday, June 20, 2019, 4:00:28 PM EDT, Phillip Fimiani via Groups.Io <myamiphil@...> wrote:


How about a nice strong sling shot... Thin wire... small fishing weight... Never used one myself, but we had one of those two man long surgical tubing sling shots at a camp out once.... Awesome flight with eggs! Should send over a few trees!
Water Balloon Launcher 400 Yard Long Range, 3 Person Balloon Large Slingshot

or...
https://www.artofmanliness.com/articles/diy-weekend-project-how-to-make-a-slingshot/

So long as its not agin the law in West  Va!

Phil
KD2HTN

Joe Street
 

I use exactly what Allison described, but I will add that the location of the fishing reel is important.  After hit and miss adventures with having the reel mounted out front of the wrist rocket I hit on the solution to line fouling (which can be dangerous ! wear some safety glasses)  I finaly realised that I should mount the reel on the forearm of the arm which draws back (right arm in my case).  This keeps the line behind everything and there is no more line fouling and hellfire rebounds with the lead weight.  If you have help just get the helper to stand behind you with the reel.  If not I found that a 2" wide velcro strap with a small slit in it allowed me to sneak the mount of the reel through and I could wrap the velcro just ahead of the elbow on my drawing arm.  It works very well.

Joe


On Thu, Jun 20, 2019 at 3:41 PM ajparent1/KB1GMX <kb1gmx@...> wrote:
THe tool I used is a modified WristRocket to include a spinning reel
full of 10 pound test and the weight is a 1-1.5oz sinker.

That has worked for stuff to 60ft (tall for here) with ease.  
More often I'm shooting for crook or limb in a useful place
rather than just over the whole shrub.

Once over I use it to pull back a piece of .050 paracord which is
strong enough to pull heavy lines if needed.  The usual line is
5/16 or 1//4 inch dacron line.

Allison

jjpurdum
 

Opps...

Someone may have a drone with a "claw" and TV camera on it.


Jack, W8TEE

On Thursday, June 20, 2019, 4:22:13 PM EDT, jjpurdum via Groups.Io <jjpurdum@...> wrote:


Check your club. Someone may have a draw with a "claw" and TV camera on it. That's the case for me and the Al (AC8GY) managed to drop the weight through a 3' opening in the canopy of trees...worked like a champ.

Jack, W8TEE



On Thursday, June 20, 2019, 4:00:28 PM EDT, Phillip Fimiani via Groups.Io <myamiphil@...> wrote:


How about a nice strong sling shot... Thin wire... small fishing weight... Never used one myself, but we had one of those two man long surgical tubing sling shots at a camp out once.... Awesome flight with eggs! Should send over a few trees!
Water Balloon Launcher 400 Yard Long Range, 3 Person Balloon Large Slingshot

or...
https://www.artofmanliness.com/articles/diy-weekend-project-how-to-make-a-slingshot/

So long as its not agin the law in West  Va!

Phil
KD2HTN

Ken Bell
 

Just put the reel on the ground. Works fine and every time.  I still wear safety glasses.  

James Daldry W4JED
 

Hi, Steve

Try a 1 foot long piece of half inch plastic pipe with a cheap fishing reel and monofilament line and a Wrist Rocket slingshot with a one ounce fishing sinker attached to it. Will do 60 feet easily. Shoot it, jiggle the line until the sinker hits the ground, disconnect the sinker and use the line to pull a piece of Paracord back to the reel. Disconnect the Paracord from the fishing line, attach a clothesline pulley to the Paracord, put another length of Paracord through the pulley, pull the pulley to the top of the tree with the original Paracord piece. Tie piece 1 to a branch high enough to prevent "people problems". Take piece 2, attach an egg insulator, cut and tie it into a closed loop that almost reaches the ground. The first piece can now grow into the tree branch it is strung over without causing any problems. Attach the antenna wire and pull it up while walking back and forth to keep the wire from getting caught on tree  limbs. Have fun.

73

Jim W4JED

On 6/20/19 3:05 PM, Steve Raas - N2JDQ - FN13DD wrote:
My 40M Ammo can QCX and I have found a new home (Well a second home) . 1.6 Acres in the Western VA Mountains. Its for sure no perfect location, but I have trees TALL TALL SCARY trees that tower over what seems everything, and lots of land.. as well as some ambition, however I only have a 6' step ladder! DOE!!! (Homer voice) What are you fellas using to launch fishing line up high to string antennas? And by high I mean HIGH..60+ feet. I been QRV a bit signing N2JDQ/4 but its just a low cloud burning dipole ..its time for some height! I do love my QCX, but a full QRO rig is in my near future..but dont fret, Ill never part with my QCX I absolutely love the thing!

-Steve Raas
N2JDQ/4 (At the moment)
Boonsboro, VA ( NW of Lynchburg )

Dave N3AC
 

Steve,

Check your email... we're nearly neighbors. You have neighbors who have tennis-ball shooters which will easily top the tallest tree... the local hams are very knowledgeable and helpful... and btw, the L'burg club is having Field Day out at the Izaak Walton Park just east of Madison Heights (not far east across the river). I went and left and will return this evening; if you go and I miss you, Bill (he will be hovering near the CW station) is your neighbor. At least, "sort of". And one of his neighbors whom I haven't met has also built a QCX-40, as did I.

Actually another friend out there just showed me his pneu launcher which has even more range... the tennis ball didn't quite make it across the lake at the park! I like his even better...

regards,

Dave N3AC

On Fri, Jun 21, 2019 at 9:15 AM James Daldry W4JED <jim@...> wrote:

Hi, Steve

Try a 1 foot long piece of half inch plastic pipe with a cheap fishing reel and monofilament line and a Wrist Rocket slingshot with a one ounce fishing sinker attached to it. Will do 60 feet easily. Shoot it, jiggle the line until the sinker hits the ground, disconnect the sinker and use the line to pull a piece of Paracord back to the reel. Disconnect the Paracord from the fishing line, attach a clothesline pulley to the Paracord, put another length of Paracord through the pulley, pull the pulley to the top of the tree with the original Paracord piece. Tie piece 1 to a branch high enough to prevent "people problems". Take piece 2, attach an egg insulator, cut and tie it into a closed loop that almost reaches the ground. The first piece can now grow into the tree branch it is strung over without causing any problems. Attach the antenna wire and pull it up while walking back and forth to keep the wire from getting caught on tree  limbs. Have fun.

73

Jim W4JED

On 6/20/19 3:05 PM, Steve Raas - N2JDQ - FN13DD wrote:
My 40M Ammo can QCX and I have found a new home (Well a second home) . 1.6 Acres in the Western VA Mountains. Its for sure no perfect location, but I have trees TALL TALL SCARY trees that tower over what seems everything, and lots of land.. as well as some ambition, however I only have a 6' step ladder! DOE!!! (Homer voice) What are you fellas using to launch fishing line up high to string antennas? And by high I mean HIGH..60+ feet. I been QRV a bit signing N2JDQ/4 but its just a low cloud burning dipole ..its time for some height! I do love my QCX, but a full QRO rig is in my near future..but dont fret, Ill never part with my QCX I absolutely love the thing!

-Steve Raas
N2JDQ/4 (At the moment)
Boonsboro, VA ( NW of Lynchburg )

ronmhauser@...
 

+1 for the pneumatic launcher, I built this kit.  It has a good release valve design.

http://www.antennalaunchers.com/csv19/csv19asm.html

Also +1 on Allison's comments:  You want to shoot for a fork or branch that you specifically choose.  Ideally you only want ONE branch under your line, then you want the weight to free fall to the ground.  When the weight is on the ground, pull paracord back to the launcher. 

All these launchers are easy when you have only one tree to shoot at ... but in my location, probably your location too, you will have a bunch of trees and the fishing line will be involved with a lot of branches.  All my mistakes have to do with stopping the fishing line from running to the ground when the weight is in mid-tree.  Then the tennis ball is stuck half way up but won't fall down, too many branches under the line, too much friction on the line, not enough weight on the tennis ball, all kinds of problems.  There are a couple tennis balls still hanging in trees around here.

I have filled the tennis ball with sand to give it more weight, and put a loop of cord on the ball.  I have a loop on the fishing line also, so that I can pass the loop through the loop and quickly attach/detach them.  I shoot for as few branches as I can get -- but I always let the line run to the ground.  If it missed the branch, I just detach the weight and reel the fishing line back.  When I get the branch I want, I detach the weight, attach a spool of paracord and reel the paracord back to the starting point.  Only when there is (strong) paracord, I will mess around trying to get the line out of the extra tree branches that I don't need.  Most of this is solved by tying a good heavy weight (I use three feet of log chain) to the paracord.  I can pull this up until it is hanging just below the branch I wanted, then let it down straight.  Sometimes you have to do this on both sides of the branch, but when done you have a paracord halyard!  I have five of these halyards now, all up at about 65 feet, and have experimented with a few different antennas.  You will be amazed at how good a high antenna in a quiet location works!

73
--Ron
K0EIA