Topics

Add Power Switch to my QCX Enclosure #qcx #mods #enclosure

WD8WV

It has been a while since I posted here. Been busy with other things. But I got my QCX40 off the shelf and made another modification to it. I didn’t like the idea of it powering up just as soon as I plugged it in. So I found a switch in my junk box, did some wiring and then some cutting and filing on the QCX enclosure and now have a On/Off switch.  I have seen where others have done the same thing as me when it come to the button for the S1 switch so you can key the radio without having a straight key. The power switch has been something I have wanted to do ever since I got the radio last summer. Just now getting around to it, Field Day is coming up!! LOL Used it last year operating FD from my back deck and made 35 contacts before I called it quits.

Here is my QCX40 with the enclosure. First mod that was done to the QCX, well the enclosure, was add a bail stand on the bottom so it is tilted up when on a table. Second mod to the enclosure was to add a button to operate the S1 switch for keying. This is helpful for those time when you rush out and forgot the straight key to operate the rig. The third mod, which was to the QCX and the enclosure was to add the power on/off switch on the front.

A closer view of the QCX. The switch was just small enough to fit between the circuit board and the top, and the left side and the volume control. Made some measurements, drew the outline of the switch, crossed my fingers and took to the drill press to drill holes. Finished cutting out between the holes and then with needle file, filed everything smooth. Did have to remove the nylon screw from the post that holds the circuit board down, on only three nylon screws holds the board down.

Here is a close up of the switch. In the down position it supplies power to the QCX board. Of course in the up position it powers off the radio.

Karl Schwab

Well done, again!  I added the "key" button to mine months ago, the power switch will be next.  Like to see your "bail" mod; I made a little tilt up stand from wood, works, but something else to have to pack/carry.  Thanks again, 73, Karl, KO8S

On Thursday, June 20, 2019, 12:07:46 PM EDT, WD8WV <juddie.d.burgess@...> wrote:

[...]

John

Thanks to those that replied to my on-off switch question. I am defiantly going to make this mod. I have a small rocker switch I’d like to use but will require a rectangular hole and not sure I can cut it in the plastic case. I’ll have to contact the builder if the case for his advice.

Have a great Field Day weekend.

73 John K2JHU…

Joe Cotton

Very Nice.  I used a toggle switch, cause thats what I had in the parts box.  Also, I like your KEY button.  Looks like you used hardware similar to the other two buttons.
73 Joe W3TTT

Tim Glennon

The way I added a power switch is by replacing the volume control pot with one that has a switch on the back. Now I just turn the volume control from the stop to the listening level I want. When done I just turn the control down until it clicks and the unit is OFF

73
Tim
KQ4TQ

Ken KM4NFQ

This is how I cut a rectangular hole in a plastic box lid for an LCD. You might be able to adapt this method to making a rectangular hole for a rocker switch?
LCD-hole.png

Regards,
Ken, KM4NFQ "Not Fully Qualified"

On Thu, Jun 20, 2019 at 3:54 PM John <johnk2jhu@...> wrote:

Thanks to those that replied to my on-off switch question. I am defiantly going to make this mod. I have a small rocker switch I’d like to use but will require a rectangular hole and not sure I can cut it in the plastic case. I’ll have to contact the builder if the case for his advice.

Have a great Field Day weekend.

73 John K2JHU…

Steve in Okinawa

These cutting drills make short work of irregular holes in plastic and soft metal. This set was only a few dollars on eBay.