Topics

ENAMEL REMOVAL

Kent Trimble, K9ZTV <k9ztv@...>

Easiest, quickest, and safest that I've found is to stick the wire into a desoldering gun which removes the enamel instantly and tins the wire at the same time.

73,

Kent  K9ZTV

Don--AE4DW

Never thought of that, but need to try it. I have a Haako 808 which is a phenomenal tool in itself, but if it makes enamel removal even easier, thats an added bonus.

Roger N5RWK

Kent,

Thanks for the tip!  I'm curious what desoldering gun you use.  I see a number of cheap ones on Amazon, but not sure if they will do the job.

73,

Roger N5RWK

Kent Trimble, K9ZTV <k9ztv@...>

Hi Roger,

Mine is a Hakko 808.

73,

Kent  K9ZTV

On Jun 9, 2019, at 9:19 AM, rwklein@... wrote:

Kent,

Thanks for the tip!  I'm curious what desoldering gun you use.  I see a number of cheap ones on Amazon, but not sure if they will do the job.

73,

Roger N5RWK

Braden Glett

I bet that does work great, but I'm paranoid so I use a really sharply honed knife and scrape all around until I can see copper. Then I tin it with solder just to be certain, before I insert it into the PCB!

Chris Wilson

Hello QRP'ers,

Monday, June 10, 2019

I was lent some lovely old Litz wire with silk covering as no one
could strip it. Various potions filed until I read of using molten
caustic soda. Despite it eating my wifes Pyrex dish lid to an opaque
and rough texture it does the job perfectly, but you need to wash the
wire thoroughly after to remove any traces of the caustic. OTT for
single strand, but may be of use to someone at some time :) Usual
caveats, molten caustic soda is dangerous, blah blah....

Best regards,
Chris 2E0ILY mailto:chris@...

--
Best regards, Chris Wilson (2E0ILY)

gw3ucj

Kindest regards,

Martin Evans

*** Mollie's Loft Books ***

I was lent some lovely old Litz wire with silk covering as no one
could strip it. Various potions filed until I read of using molten
caustic soda. Despite it eating my wifes Pyrex dish lid to an opaque
and rough texture it does the job perfectly, but you need to wash the
wire thoroughly after to remove any traces of the caustic. OTT for
single strand, but may be of use to someone at some time :) Usual
caveats, molten caustic soda is dangerous, blah blah....

Best regards,
Chris 2E0ILY mailto:chris@...

**********************
I used to own a metal finishing business and one of the jobs we did was strip PTFE coating from secateurs for Wilkinson Sword.

We used molten Caustic Soda to do this.

Workers used every piece of protective clothing, headshields, goggles, long gauntlets, we could find
and they STILL got caustic vapour burns on every shift.

Take GREAT care and use the very minimum amount practicable - it's dreadful stuff.

To my mind this is a last resort - try everything else first!

Martin gw3ucj.

--
Martin  GW3UCJ.

Swansea Valley, South Wales  IO81CR

Don--AE4DW

Kent,

Thanks for the tip!  I'm curious what desoldering gun you use.  I see a number of cheap ones on Amazon, but not sure if they will do the job.

73,

Roger N5RWK

***

As mentioned, and totally coincidentally, I have the Haako 808 also. I'm a huge Haako fan; all soldering equipment I own is Haako, and along with that, their hand tools are just as high quality. The 808 has been discontinued, looks like the FR-301 is a similar item. Not cheap, but having tried a few of the cheap ebay/Amazon units before finally just giving in and getting the Haako, I can tell you it was definitely worth the money.

Stephen Farthing G0XAR JO92ON97

Caustic soda of any variety will turn your flesh to soap. I dread to think what the molten variety would do to an eyeball.

Yours with both eyes shut and cringing at the thought,

Steve G0XAR

Braden Glett

I'll stay with a nice safe, sharp knife, thank you!!

Bill Cromwell

Laser Lab

protect your remaining eye

73,

Bill KU8H

On 6/11/19 8:43 AM, Stephen Farthing G0XAR JO92ON97 wrote:
Caustic soda of any variety will turn your flesh to soap. I dread to think what the molten variety would do to an eyeball.
Yours with both eyes shut and cringing at the thought,
Steve G0XAR
--
bark less - wag more

Braden Glett

How'd you know I only have one working eye?