Topics

QSX: Expected current draw in RX?

Stephan

Hello Hans,

what is the expected current draw of the QSX while receiving?

Wish you all the best and keep my fingers crossed for the QSX!

--
73,dc8lz

ajparent1/KB1GMX

The current drain is mostly the MPU a ST32MF4 series part, the display, A/D,
and the Si5351  If I had to SWAG it about 150-250ma as the audio and other sections
are likely small contributors.  The multiband will have to include 2-3 relays for band
switching and that maybe an added 50ma.

How that gets you in the realm of what SDR radios want for power.

My call is anything under the power wanted by the FT817 (about 400ma for RX)
is a big improvement.

Allison

Hans Summers

Hi Allison

Yes, good guess... currently it consumes 240mA at 12V supply. A switched mode regulator instead of the 7805 could certainly reduce that but possible QRM would worry me.

Some small change in receive current in either direction is quite likely, as the finer details of hardware and firmware operations fall into place.

73 Hans G0UPL