Topics

Experiments with #progrock

Mike

Seeking the most accurate and stable oscillator for driving a 2m qrss receiver
set-up. I have tried numerous tcxo smd oscillators and crystals with and
without GPS conditioning in a Progrock board.
The set-up is a QRPLabs Progrock, Receiver and Polyphase tuned to 28Mhz using
the SI5351 CLK0 and a Modified Microwave modules 28/2 converter with its LO
drive from the SI5351.CLK1

Today, I decided to try driving the SI5351 with my VE2ZAZ GPS conditioned
10Mhz shack reference. WITHOUT the Progrock GPS function.

On the Synth board, I've cut the track between the CLK0 SMA pad and the CLK0
synth output and linked the pad to the crystal track going to pin2 of the
SI5351, Fitted an SMA socket to the synth CLK0 position and driving through
about 1m of SMA patchlead from the VE2ZAZ 10Mhz reference..

Well, for the last 3 hours I have been monitoring the CLK1 signal at
116.000000Mhz with a counter using a 100 second timebase derived from a second
GPS conditioned VE2ZAZ reference clock, which gives me a resolution to 0.1Hz.
So far, the frequency of the SI5351 CLK1 has been at 116.000000.0Mhz for every
count. (100 seconds is a long time when you are having fun HI )

I have yet to listen to GB3MCB, and measure the audio with Argo.
Its my local 2m beacon, and I believe is also locked to a gps source.
I don't expect anythig but an S5T8 and perhaps a S5T9 signal.

If you have a good shack reference, give it a try..

73 Mike

Steve Kavanagh

Hi Mike

That sounds like it's working.  Do I understand that you changed register 02 to 10,000,000?  I don't think I've yet seen anything where the reference wasn't in the 26-27 MHz range.

73,
Steve VE3SMA

WA1EDJ

Mike,
Interesting.  I have the same question as Steve.  I was not aware you could drive the 5351A with 10MHz.
I've been trying for a long time to get a REALLY stable 5351A synth and ProgRock.
Been using the Conner Winfield D75F 27 MHz TCXO.  Works but not as stable as I'd expected.  Reportedly in the ppb range.

My 5351A is so temp sensitive, (not in a box yet) if I just get within 2 feet of it, it starts drifting 1 ot 2 Hz because of my body heat.
Hopefully putting it all in a sealed box will stop that.

I have an excellent 10 MHz OCXO reference I'd love to try.

Please explain more.

TNX
Bob  WA1EDJ

On Sat, May 18, 2019 at 11:38 AM Steve Kavanagh via Groups.Io <sjkavanagh1=yahoo.ca@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Mike

That sounds like it's working.  Do I understand that you changed register 02 to 10,000,000?  I don't think I've yet seen anything where the reference wasn't in the 26-27 MHz range.

73,
Steve VE3SMA

Alan G4ZFQ

Been using the Conner Winfield D75F 27 MHz TCXO.  Works but not as stable as I'd expected.  Reportedly in the ppb range.
My 5351A is so temp sensitive, (not in a box yet) if I just get within 2 feet of it, it starts drifting 1 ot 2 Hz because of my body heat.
Bob,

What frequency are you measuring? That sounds really bad.

I have an excellent 10 MHz OCXO reference I'd love to try.
This has been discussed, some time ago there were some U3S crystals that worked at 9MHz, not 27.
Set to 9MHz the U3 worked correctly.
I have used a 10MHz input.
I think the problems can be a less clean output and WSPR tones may not be quite as close to those specified.

73 Alan G4ZFQ

WA1EDJ

Alan,
I'm only running at 13,555400 MHz.  I use ARGO at the 20 sec mode for really high resolution measurements.   I've compared to my quality HP counter and don't see the drift that ARGO show.  Maybe only a Hz or so.  I don't know who to believe here.  I have some problem here I don't  (yet) understand.

The drift from the TCXO just seem too extreme for a device that claims great specs.

I'm not really concerned about the WSPR tones.  I'm trying to make an extremely stable LO for a RX here.  If the 5351A can take a 10MHz ref input and the ProgRock firmware does not complain about setting the ref to 10.000000 MHz, I will try it.

Mike, N8OOU has used these D75F TCXO's with great success.  I must be doing something wrong here.

TNX!
Bob  WA1EDJ

On Sat, May 18, 2019 at 12:22 PM Alan G4ZFQ <alan4alan@...> wrote:
> Been using the Conner Winfield D75F 27 MHz TCXO.  Works but not as
> stable as I'd expected.  Reportedly in the ppb range.
> My 5351A is so temp sensitive, (not in a box yet) if I just get within 2
> feet of it, it starts drifting 1 ot 2 Hz because of my body heat.

Bob,

What frequency are you measuring? That sounds really bad.

> I have an excellent 10 MHz OCXO reference I'd love to try.

This has been discussed, some time ago there were some U3S crystals that
worked at 9MHz, not 27.
Set to 9MHz the U3 worked correctly.
I have used a 10MHz input.
I think the problems can be a less clean output and WSPR tones may not
be quite as close to those specified.

73 Alan G4ZFQ

geoff M0ORE

Wow, that is a high frequency.  Didn't know the kit could run at 13GHz.

On 18/05/2019 17:55, Bob wrote:
Alan,
I'm only running at 13,555400 MHz.  I use ARGO at the 20 sec mode for really high resolution measurements.   I've compared to my quality HP counter and don't see the drift that ARGO show.  Maybe only a Hz or so.  I don't know who to believe here.  I have some problem here I don't  (yet) understand.

The drift from the TCXO just seem too extreme for a device that claims great specs.

I'm not really concerned about the WSPR tones.  I'm trying to make an extremely stable LO for a RX here.  If the 5351A can take a 10MHz ref input and the ProgRock firmware does not complain about setting the ref to 10.000000 MHz, I will try it.

Mike, N8OOU has used these D75F TCXO's with great success.  I must be doing something wrong here.

TNX!
Bob  WA1EDJ

On Sat, May 18, 2019 at 12:22 PM Alan G4ZFQ <alan4alan@...> wrote:
> Been using the Conner Winfield D75F 27 MHz TCXO.  Works but not as
> stable as I'd expected.  Reportedly in the ppb range.
> My 5351A is so temp sensitive, (not in a box yet) if I just get within 2
> feet of it, it starts drifting 1 ot 2 Hz because of my body heat.

Bob,

What frequency are you measuring? That sounds really bad.

> I have an excellent 10 MHz OCXO reference I'd love to try.

This has been discussed, some time ago there were some U3S crystals that
worked at 9MHz, not 27.
Set to 9MHz the U3 worked correctly.
I have used a 10MHz input.
I think the problems can be a less clean output and WSPR tones may not
be quite as close to those specified.

73 Alan G4ZFQ

Per - LA9XKA

Well, it reads 13 MHz to me, however I am not British :-)

73 de LA9XKA - Per