Topics

Antenna #antenna

elliot.george.martin@...

Does QRP offer an SWR meter or a kit that can be built for HF antennas. I'm trying to adjust/resize my antenna for the best SWR and what to know the cheapest way to do it.
Thanks,
Elliot

Joe Street

There is this:

However this is such a simple thing, don't bother with a kit.  Just collect the parts and build it ugly style.

On Wed, May 8, 2019 at 9:44 AM <elliot.george.martin@...> wrote:
Does QRP offer an SWR meter or a kit that can be built for HF antennas. I'm trying to adjust/resize my antenna for the best SWR and what to know the cheapest way to do it.
Thanks,
Elliot

jjpurdum

I don't think that's right, Joe. QRP Kits has money invested in kits and I think we should support such efforts. Using someone else's design on work that's not in the Open Source category just seems wrong to me.

Jack, W8TEE

On Wednesday, May 8, 2019, 10:08:04 AM EDT, Joe Street <racingtheclouds@...> wrote:

There is this:

However this is such a simple thing, don't bother with a kit.  Just collect the parts and build it ugly style.

On Wed, May 8, 2019 at 9:44 AM <elliot.george.martin@...> wrote:
Does QRP offer an SWR meter or a kit that can be built for HF antennas. I'm trying to adjust/resize my antenna for the best SWR and what to know the cheapest way to do it.
Thanks,
Elliot

Joe Street

That's a good point Jack.  I do think we learn more when we don't rely on kits all the time though and that is also something to consider.

Best regards
Joe

On Wed, May 8, 2019 at 11:21 AM jjpurdum via Groups.Io <jjpurdum=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

I agree, but then why post the assembly manual for someone else's work? The only difference then is reduced to the hassle of ordering parts, which I don't consider a learning experience.

Jack, W8TEE

On Wednesday, May 8, 2019, 11:28:13 AM EDT, Joe Street <racingtheclouds@...> wrote:

[...]

Ed Kwik

Try google qrp swr kits
Ed
AB8DF

jjpurdum

Better yet, use DuckDuckGo...they don't track you or filter your returns.

Jack, W8TEE

On Wednesday, May 8, 2019, 12:08:02 PM EDT, Ed Kwik via Groups.Io <ekwik@...> wrote:

Try google qrp swr kits
Ed
AB8DF

Joe Street

Why did I choose that link?  Well no other reason than it was one of the top hits when I searched "adsorbtive SWR bridge".  That circuit has been around for ages I don't even know who the credit should go to for the original idea.

On Wed, May 8, 2019 at 11:38 AM jjpurdum via Groups.Io <jjpurdum=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

It's probably the guy listed in the PDF file you posted:

On Wednesday, May 8, 2019, 1:35:52 PM EDT, Joe Street <racingtheclouds@...> wrote:

[...]

Ok use any search engine you want. The point is you should do some of your own research using the Internet instead of asking a somewhat off topic question. It is a qrp labs group and it should be limited to QRPLabs products
Ed
AB8DF

Joe Street

Yes it may well have been Dan who came up with that idea.  I first remember it from the QRP_L mail reflector.  Wheatstone bridge is pretty old though!

On Wed, May 8, 2019 at 1:39 PM jjpurdum via Groups.Io <jjpurdum=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
It's probably the guy listed in the PDF file you posted:

On Wednesday, May 8, 2019, 1:35:52 PM EDT, Joe Street <racingtheclouds@...> wrote:

Why did I choose that link?  Well no other reason than it was one of the top hits when I searched "adsorbtive SWR bridge".  That circuit has been around for ages I don't even know who the credit should go to for the original idea.

Curt M.

I built one of the Four State QRP tuners.  It works great.  I've made all of my QCX contacts through that tuner.  I also use it with my 10m beacon.  You can build it in an evening and I think it's one of the best designs out there for a QRP tuner.  I really like the red and green LEDs which helps you tune pretty fast once you learn which letter to set the dial for on the band that you want to tune.

http://www.4sqrp.com/4stuner.php

Curt M.

After re-reading your original post I just realized that you were looking just to measure SWR and not tune the antenna.  My mistake.  But if you are looking for a tuner to tune up a long wire or something like that, the 4 States QRP Tuner is working great for me and it's supposed to be good up to 10 watts.

elliot.george.martin@...

Thanks for everybodies responses. I'm knew to all of this so I don't even know where to start but I have a QCX so I figure it is still a relevant discussion.

Rick Riddle

After much research, i'm a internet junkir, I purchased the 4states tuner, much better than
others I have seen.

Rick Riddle

Elliot: I have a Sark 100 ant analyzer, its not the greatest, but it has been awesome. I use it to tune all my moble, QRP, and base antennas, and it has been flawless.
Just a random thought, as it will make life waaay easier.

John Rabson

Where does the name Sark come from please? I only know it as one of the Channel Islands in the Bailiwick of Guernsey. I visited it a couple of times in the 1960s and operated as GC3PAI/A (the prefix now would be GG3).

73 John F5VLF G3PAI

On 26 Jun 2019, at 17:39, Rick Riddle <WD4DT.FL@...> wrote:

Elliot: I have a Sark 100 ant analyzer, its not the greatest, but it has been awesome. I use it to tune all my moble, QRP, and base antennas, and it has been flawless.
Just a random thought, as it will make life waaay easier.

John Rabson

Correction - prefix is now GU

Where does the name Sark come from please? I only know it as one of the Channel Islands in the Bailiwick of Guernsey. I visited it a couple of times in the 1960s and operated as GC3PAI/A (the prefix now would be GG3).

73 John F5VLF G3PAI

On 26 Jun 2019, at 17:39, Rick Riddle <WD4DT.FL@...> wrote:

Elliot: I have a Sark 100 ant analyzer, its not the greatest, but it has been awesome. I use it to tune all my moble, QRP, and base antennas, and it has been flawless.
Just a random thought, as it will make life waaay easier.

ajparent1/KB1GMX

Jack,

The kit may not be open source, but the design is.  That is the Tayloe SWR bridge and
its available from many sources.  Its a published design for ham use.

Allison

TrueBlue

Brings up an interesting piece of ham "science" from Youtube I saw the other day.

This "expert" (and the terms "science" and "expert" seem to be used promiscuously in amateur radio) claimed that passive QRPp bridges, adjusters and whatnot should not be used, as they diminish the output by about half, according to his metered demonstration.

His hypothesis is apparently that these always cost a bit of power, but that loss is negligible in the cases of a few watts.  In QRPp, say at ~0.150w, it's presumably a signal-killer.  Supposedly, QRPp is best served by adjusting SWR with a antenna analyzer, which is then removed from the signal path, which is supposed to be unencumbered for best QRPp results.

I have seen this view espoused a few times before.  It seems logical.  But...is it true?

Fight among yourselves!

--
"As Dunning has suggested, the very trouble with ignorance is that it can feel just like expertise."