Cap Tester #parts

Ted

When I start construction of a QCX or in the future a QSX I should check the values of the parts. Resistors I understand. However caps and inductors are another matter. Can anyone recommend one if the testers available on eBay as more or less good?

tnx
Ted

Alan G4ZFQ

I should check the values of the parts. Resistors I understand. However caps and inductors are another matter. Can anyone recommend one if the testers available on eBay as more or less good?
Ted,

I am not sure if anyone can be certain about eBay, there are so many sellers.
I tested one like this https://sites.google.com/site/alan4alan/lc100a_term_on_right which was good. But will another looking the same be good?
There are others, some complete in cases but many reviews do not properly test accuracy.

73 Alan G4ZFQ

Ted 2E0THH

Hi Ted
I bought an M-tester from China when I ran the inventory for my QCX40. It is very cheap and cheerful and I expect not very inaccurate.
But it did test all the components in the kit and confirmed they were close to their advertised value, including caps resistors, diodes transistors and inductors.
There's a youtube vid review here if you can stand the reviewer, he does however grow on you!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Br3L1B80ow
73s Ted
2E0THH

On Tue, Apr 23, 2019 at 05:39 AM, TED KELL wrote:
When I start construction of a QCX or in the future a QSX I should check the values of the parts. Resistors I understand. However caps and inductors are another matter. Can anyone recommend one if the testers available on eBay as more or less good?

tnx
Ted

Peter GM0EUL

I've got one of these and it's excellent. I don't know how I managed without it:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B010DPZTCK?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

Peter, GM0EUL

geoff M0ORE

You don't need absolute accuracy down to several decimal points, just enough to confirm that you have the correct part. All QCX parts are wire ended so will be marked by colour bands or figures so you should be able to identify the value.

I have a handy tester marked as GM328A. Available from Banggood from about 10GBP upwards. It seems that the 328 refers to the chip that does all the work so take your pick.

Mine has comparable accuracy to my Peak Atlas LCR meter and the Peak Atlas component analyser but all in one package and the batteries are cheaper.

On 23/04/2019 05:05, TED KELL wrote:
When I start construction of a QCX or in the future a QSX I should check the values of the parts. Resistors I understand. However caps and inductors are another matter. Can anyone recommend one if the testers available on eBay as more or less good?

tnx
Ted

Alan G4ZFQ

You don't need absolute accuracy down to several decimal points, just enough to confirm that you have the correct part.
Geoff,

No, the last few figures should normally be disregarded even on the most accurate meters.
Modern components are usually good, a tester that just confirms you have read the markings correctly is all that is needed.

But home-wound inductors really need fairly accurate measurement to avoid possible confusion and removal to adjust turns.
One meter I tested was about 20% low, not good for that at all.

73 Alan G4ZFQ

Steven Dick

The LC100-A worked fine for me for many years but I switched to the LC-200A which is essentially the same design mounted in a nice plastic case. It is a lot more convenient for the added $15 or so cost. The LC100-A goes for about $13-$15 while the LC200A goes for less than $30.00
-Steve K1RF

I should check the values of the parts. Resistors I understand. However caps and inductors are another matter. Can anyone recommend one if the testers available on eBay as more or less good?
Ted,

I am not sure if anyone can be certain about eBay, there are so many
sellers.
I tested one like this
https://sites.google.com/site/alan4alan/lc100a_term_on_right which was
good. But will another looking the same be good?
There are others, some complete in cases but many reviews do not
properly test accuracy.

The LC100-A worked fine for me for many years but I switched to the LC-200A which is essentially the same design mounted in a nice plastic case.
Steve,

Yes,

Ted said capacitors and inductors.
These are specifically L-C testers.
The general purpose testes also mentioned are good but I think anything without a zero function are suspect for low capacitors and inductors.

73 Alan G4ZFQ

Steve in Okinawa

That one can't measure low inductance. It shows then as resistances.

Steven Dick

I don't understand your comment. about Ted saying capacitors and inductors. The LC100-A and LC200A specifically test capacitors and inductors. And they both have a zeroing function (calibrate) by pushing a button. They have negligible drift compared to other LC meters I have used and can measure very low value capacitors and inductors. I used it when building my 40 meter qcx for verifying all capacitor values and measuring/tweaking inductances of the output filter components.

Specifications for these LC meters: Measurement accuracy: 1% Capacitance measuring range: 0.01 pF - 10uF (The minimum resolution: 0.01 pF ) Inductance measuring range: 0.001 uH - 100mH Big inductance measuring range: 0.001 mH - 100H (The minimum resolution: 0.001uH ) Big capacitance range: 1-100uF Test frequency range: L/C about 500KHZ/Big inductance 500HZ Effective display digits: 4 digits. Specs are wishful thinking for small values but I have used them to reliably measure caps of the order 1pF and inductors on the order of of 0.5 microhenry.

Use a digital multimeter for measuring resistors.

-Steve K1RF

The LC100-A worked fine for me for many years but I switched to the LC-200A which is essentially the same design mounted in a nice plastic case.
Steve,

Yes,

Ted said capacitors and inductors.
These are specifically L-C testers.
The general purpose testes also mentioned are good but I think anything
without a zero function are suspect for low capacitors and inductors.

I don't understand your comment. about Ted saying capacitors and inductors. The LC100-A and LC200A specifically test capacitors and inductors.
Steve,

Yes! I was agreeing with you.
Ted asked about capacitors and inductors. BUT a few general purpose testers have been mentioned in this thread, I thought I might mention that the general purpose testers I have seen are not ideal for low value capacitors and inductors.

73 Alan G4ZFQ

Arv Evans <arvid.evans@...>