a new QCX 20 begins

Lloyd K3ESE

T1 is step one. Sure gonna be careful with this one...

n4qa at_hotmail.com

Hi Lloyd.
Enjoy the build, om !
Good to see you on here and...is that Curt, WB8YYY that I see on here too?
Cool ! Pretty soon the whole QRP-L gang will be over here !
72 / 73,
Bill, N4QA

Lloyd K3ESE

hi, Bill!

I'll enjoy what I can of the build, but they shipped a 24-pin socket for IC2, rather than the 28 required, so there will be a caesura...

WB8YYY and I, and others, are often found doing SKCC things, of late...

n4qa at_hotmail.com

We probably don't really need those four pins anyway...which pins are missing? just kiddin' "0)
FB on SKCC stuff.
Se ya !
72 / 73,
Bill, N4QA
dit dit

ohwenzelph

Make sure the phasing is right on each and all of those coils
Not 100% sure it matters but I redid mine...

ohwenzelph

Yep, page 54 “The four windings on T1 must all be in the same “sense”. There are two ways to wind toroids. You might call them left-handed and right-handed; clockwise and counter-clockwise; whether the wire goes through the toroid from top to bottom, or from bottom to top. Whatever you call it, all the four windings have to be the same, to be sure to get the phasing to the quadrature sampling detector correct.” In my photo I had very carefully installed the windings with the three small ones one way but incorrectly with the large one the opposite and had to redo it .

David Wilcox K8WPE

Are you saying that the enclosed photo is incorrect?  It looks like the phase of the three small windings is reversed from the large one.

David J. Wilcox K8WPE’s iPad

On Apr 20, 2019, at 7:30 AM, ohwenzelph via Groups.Io <Ohwenzelph@...> wrote:

Yep, page 54 “The four windings on T1 must all be in the same “sense”. There are two ways to wind toroids. You might call them left-handed and right-handed; clockwise and counter-clockwise; whether the wire goes through the toroid from top to bottom, or from bottom to top. Whatever you call it, all the four windings have to be the same, to be sure to get the phasing to the quadrature sampling detector correct.” In my photo I had very carefully installed the windings with the three small ones one way but incorrectly with the large one the opposite and had to redo it .

John Kirby

 This image shows that...

The three short windings are in phase with each other
The large winding is out of phase with the three short windings

72 73
John
N3AAZ

John Kirby

 RE ...  Winding  T1

Document revision 1.08, 23-Oct-2017
 https://www.qrp-labs.com/images/qcx/assembly_LT.pdf

Go to page 50, that image is worth " 10,000 words "

72 73
John
N3AAZ

James Daldry W4JED

Hi, David

In essence, the 2 windings that drive the Tayloe detector have to be wound identically. The other 2 are less important. The easiest way to be sure of this is to wind all 4 the same way, starting at the inside and ending at the outside, or vice versa. Don't think left and right, or top and bottom. Think inside and outside, clockwise and counterclockwise (or anti-clockwise for our friends of the Blokeish persuasion).

73

Jim W4JED

On 4/21/19 5:01 AM, David Wilcox via Groups.Io wrote:
Are you saying that the enclosed photo is incorrect?  It looks like the phase of the three small windings is reversed from the large one.

David J. Wilcox K8WPE’s iPad

On Apr 20, 2019, at 7:30 AM, ohwenzelph via Groups.Io <Ohwenzelph@...> wrote:

Yep, page 54 “The four windings on T1 must all be in the same “sense”. There are two ways to wind toroids. You might call them left-handed and right-handed; clockwise and counter-clockwise; whether the wire goes through the toroid from top to bottom, or from bottom to top. Whatever you call it, all the four windings have to be the same, to be sure to get the phasing to the quadrature sampling detector correct.” In my photo I had very carefully installed the windings with the three small ones one way but incorrectly with the large one the opposite and had to redo it .

David Wilcox K8WPE

Thank you all.  I thought they all had to be wound the same direction..... I have three kits to build yet so this is very helpful.  Have lost enough gray hair getting previous toroids wound correctly in other kits.

David J. Wilcox K8WPE’s iPad

On Apr 21, 2019, at 9:30 AM, James Daldry W4JED <jim@...> wrote:

[...]

Peter GM0EUL

I read somewhere, I'm sure it was in the QCX instruction book but maybe not if this thread is going on, that the best way to ensure the coils are in phase is to wind them all from a single piece of wire.  ie, wind the big coil, loop out and twist, wind the first small coil, loop out and twist, second, then third.  Then cut the loops to separate the coils, they will automatically be in phase without thinking and no chance of getting it wrong.

73, Peter GM0EUL

John Kirby