Topics

QSX display #qsx

Jack Brabham - KZ5A

Earlier today I was codgertating on "ain't it a shame the QSX is rolling out with an underwhelming display".

But then I got to thinking abt my K3 and how rarely I actually touched the FP controls or looked at the display after getting it well connected to the station PC.  Between LP-PAN  DX Lab and NA3P and a few others the K3 basically became a handy transceiver accessory for my PC.

At least as I currently understand the situation, the QSX will have.pretty much the same capacity to integrate with a PC, pan-adapter and all, and that's very likely to be how I will end up using one.  So rather than package it for portability, I'll probably box it up with a 100W PA and call it a main station rig.   I haven't heard anything resembling performance numbers but the potential with a 24 bit ADC is quite high.

If I were planning on using it PC-less, a more sophisticated display would high on my wish list,   Another way to get there, which i'm sure isn't an original thought, would be to go the Flex Radio route and offer a separate large touch screen display as an "accessory".   That would allow Hans to keep his code proprietary and wouldn't mess up the low price point for folks that don't want to spend $$ on a better display.

73 Jack KZ5A

. .
  .

Michael Sharp

One thing I was looking at was using FLDIGI running on a RPi3 as a “front end” for the QSX. Hans says the QSX should interface nicely with JACK (Jack Audio Connection Kit). Coupled with a touch screen, such as the RPi Official Touchscreen, and this will be an awesome rig =)

73,
-Michael
KD9MED

Michael N6MST

And with VNC (built into Raspbian) you can operate remote from anywhere! I'm honestly surprised I'm not playing radio from work every day 😅

Stephen Farthing G0XAR JO92ON97

Hi guys,

I’m waiting for Hans to complete the design of the QRP Labs computer. But wait. He’s already done it

Have fun!

Steve G0XAR

Hans Summers

Hi Steve

Yeah, happy days.

By the way, the URL is http://hanssummers.com/z80.html - but because the site has an old version of Joomla content management system, there seems to be some issue, sometimes the URL gets replaced by other websites hosted on the same machine. That's why you see weird URLs sometimes... but in fact it is all harmless.

73 Hans G0UPL