Topics

Balloon

Mikael Dagman

Hi all, for those interested I sent up a balloon yesterday, it woke up a couple of hours ago outside Spain, its transmitting wspr and qrss on 14Mhz, its on a  10 minute sequence.
its under my call on wspr.net, SA6BSS and flight name BSS18 on https://tracker.habhub.org, the qrss transmission is just sendig BSS, its visible on my page at the moment, https://www.qsl.net/sa6bss/

total flight weight is just below 6 Gram

73
/Mikael

Hans Summers

Congrats Mikael

Yesterday I was happy to copy your WSPR and Telemetry signals on 20m, here in KM46 S.W.Turkey; and also on 20m QRSS.

Today I see you are reportedly in Barcelona area... but no copy as yet here! 20m condx seem Ok for me here today. But sometimes good condx are not helpful to copy very small signals, because good condx bring in everyone's BIG signals too to compete!

73 Hans G0UPL

On Thu, Feb 21, 2019 at 2:57 PM Mikael Dagman <mikael_dagman@...> wrote:
Hi all, for those interested I sent up a balloon yesterday, it woke up a couple of hours ago outside Spain, its transmitting wspr and qrss on 14Mhz, its on a  10 minute sequence.
its under my call on wspr.net, SA6BSS and flight name BSS18 on https://tracker.habhub.org, the qrss transmission is just sendig BSS, its visible on my page at the moment, https://www.qsl.net/sa6bss/

total flight weight is just below 6 Gram

73
/Mikael

Roger Hill

Hearing it in UK, in IO93, at -30db on a dipole at 7 metres.

Roger

G3YTN

---
***************************
Roger Hill
***************************

On 2019-02-21 12:06, Hans Summers wrote:

Congrats Mikael

[...]

DC1MAK

Hi Mikael,

heard it yesterday in germany - All the best wishes for your mission.
73 de DC1MAK micha

Allan Nelsson

Mikael,

Congrats. Excellent copy near Kalundborg in OZ.

73, 5P9R/OZ5XN, Allan

Hi all, for those interested I sent up a balloon yesterday, it woke up a couple of hours ago outside Spain, its transmitting wspr and qrss on 14Mhz, its on a  10 minute sequence.
its under my call on wspr.net, SA6BSS and flight name BSS18 on https://tracker.habhub.org, the qrss transmission is just sendig BSS, its visible on my page at the moment, https://www.qsl.net/sa6bss/

total flight weight is just below 6 Gram

73
/Mikael

Braden Glett

Wow, that is extremely cool. I would have been too unsure of the jurisdictional issues surrounding such an effort to actually pull the trigger on it, thankfully not everyone is as big a scaredy-cat as I am. (Or, more likely, they actually know the legalities surrounding this sort of thing, lol!)
GREAT JOB, MIKAEL!!

Hans Summers

Hi Mikael

You were an almost constant visitor to my QRSS screen today, and many copies on WSPR both the standard transmission and telemetry packets! Great stuff, I love to see my QRP Labs receiver kit picking out your 20mW. Attached, example QRSS at 12:38Z today.

73 Hans G0UPL

On Thu, Feb 21, 2019 at 3:06 PM QRP Labs <hans.summers@...> wrote:
[...]

Do you have a map of its flight path you could post?

Mikael Dagman

Here is the raw telemetry path, its a little edgy and two large errors but its good enough for now.

Some updates in here as well,  https://groups.io/g/qrssknights/topic/qrss_balloon_14mhz/29984796?p=,,,20,0,0,0::recentpostdate%2Fsticky,,,20,2,0,29984796

Mikael Dagman

Braden Glett

Wow! All the way across Africa and Asia! That thing is moving! Impressive indeed.

Mikael Dagman

Yep, its on a fast train, just resently lerned how to see where the stream is located, just look in here: https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/isobaric/250hPa/orthographic=-341.16,59.05,422

press the 250 under "Height" which equals to about the alt the balloon travels at.

more updates in here:

https://groups.io/g/qrssknights/topic/qrss_balloon_14mhz/29984796?p=,,,20,0,0,0::recentpostdate%2Fsticky,,,20,2,0,29984796

73 Mikael

HF

Hi Mikael,
I pointed my Bird-Yagi-Uda west this morning to have the best chance of receiving this balloon.  I'm happy to see that I'm picking it up!  I tuned my VFO up 150 Hz so that SA6BSS would be at the bottom edge of the decode band where my radio (Drake R8B) gives better S/N.  That means my frequency reports are low by 150 Hz.  WSJT is also decoding what is probably the 2nd line with altitude and other information in it.  It uploads to the server as callsigns QU1GAK, QP1URS, QL1IOA, QI1JYH.  Can one convert these "spots" into the altitude and battery data using these lines the way wsprnet.org presents them?  Or does one have to use a special version of WSJT at the receiver?
Halden, VE7UTS

Hans Summers

Hi Halden

You don't need a special version of WSJT. The telemetry encoding is explained here http://qrp-labs.com/flights/s4.html and there's an example Excel spreadsheet there that you can download, and type in the call/loc/power of the two WSPR spots (normal one and telemetry one) and it will decode it for you.

73 Hans G0UPL

On Wed, Feb 27, 2019 at 1:16 AM HF via Groups.Io <incorridge=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Mikael,
I pointed my Bird-Yagi-Uda west this morning to have the best chance of receiving this balloon.  I'm happy to see that I'm picking it up!  I tuned my VFO up 150 Hz so that SA6BSS would be at the bottom edge of the decode band where my radio (Drake R8B) gives better S/N.  That means my frequency reports are low by 150 Hz.  WSJT is also decoding what is probably the 2nd line with altitude and other information in it.  It uploads to the server as callsigns QU1GAK, QP1URS, QL1IOA, QI1JYH.  Can one convert these "spots" into the altitude and battery data using these lines the way wsprnet.org presents them?  Or does one have to use a special version of WSJT at the receiver?
Halden, VE7UTS

HF

Hello Mikael,
Your BSS20 is headed my way!  I'm very pleased that my radio picked it up today.  Can you tell us anything about the payload and balloon?  Does it have a QRP-Labs product on board?  When was it launched?  I just turned my beam so I'll have a chance of hearing it and VE3KCL's 5th orbit tomorrow.

Does anyone know of a discussion board for drifting balloon flights in general?  I'd like to honour the scope of this group (discussion of QRP-Labs products) if it turns out Mikael's payload is outside of that scope.

Halden

Mikael Dagman

The tracker is the same as the last two, 5.75gram total weight under a streached clear cheap Chinese 36" (34" realy) balloon tx:in wspr and qrss, the only new on this flight is that Im turning off the GPS during tx to save some power and by doing that Im getting longer runtime per day/sun angle (about 13° up/off), I might have pushed it a bit to far as the gps is only on for about 40sec in the end of every 10min seq which have resulted in a couple of days without gps look but qrss have worked very well those days.
It was released 18th of April and have made just over halv a lap around the globe

It should wake up over state of washington in about 3-4 hours if all goes well

we habers hang in irc on highaltitude channel, you can temporary use a web browser to see whats happening, some days it can be quite calm but other days more to chatt about, you find it here https://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=highaltitude
also some news in here :  https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/ukhas

/Mikael

HF

Hi Mikael,
It went right over me early in the morning and I didn't hear it as it drifted further eastward.  It's going really fast!  Did I neglect to adjust my VFO to compensate for doppler shift?  Now I see only SDRNXZ (probably Jim) is receiving reports after it went silent over Moose Jaw.  Why is it not detected by others?  Out of band?  TX time off the top of the minute by more than a few seconds?
Thanks for the details about power strategy.  Yes, turning off GPS most of the time should save a lot!
Cheers
Halden VE7UTS ( at rac dot ca)