Topics

QSX: What will happen if and when the kit is available? #qsx

oe1cgs

This might be slightly off topic, but then again, maybe not so much...

In the hopefully not too distant future Hans will announce that the QSX kit is available. Given the interest I see in this group and judging by my own eagerness, there will be a substantial run on the kit, probably exceeding the immediate supply by far.

Accordingly several problems might arise: The QRPlabs server cannot handle the traffic and gives up. Due to the fact that there will be different offerings (single/multi band, enclosure, linear PA) Hans might be tied up clarifying in this group. And most important: According to which criterion will the kits be alloted?

The most obvious procedure is "first come first serve". But what if the server denies access due to the enormous demand? What about OM's in different time zones? How many QSX's can one order (= might there even evolve a secondary market)? Will all potential customers be treated the same way, or will existing customers be preferred?

Another - and I think more fair - procedure could be to open up a window (say a couple of days) for orders and after the window closes orders will be compared to immediate supply possibilities and alloted on a random basis. Only 1 kit per order (shipping adress?) for this first round.

There are other possible procedures, so I hope Hans will find a way to ensure a smooth process once the kit is ready.

Very best,

Chris, OE1CGS

PS Please keep one aside for me ;)

Michael N6MST <mst72481@...>

Similar to QCX, I expect there to be an initial rush on QSX. My bet is that Hans kits a much larger run of kQSX to address the initial rush before he even opens it up to orders, possibly eliminating the backlog he experienced with QCX. Since Hans doesn't seem to do limited runs like some other kit sellers (not knocking anyone else, it's just a different sales model) I don't really see how "fair" comes into play, though. If the initial run does indeed sell out (wouldn't surprise me) then wait for the next batch, no big deal. I will be waiting for the next batch regardless, but I do hope that happens sooner rather than later :)

Paul Harrison

Chris, if you were listening Hans has already said the first run will be in the thousands of kits. Let's not waste his time answering hypothetical kit supply situations. Patience is golden

Paul DJ0CU.

jjpurdum

I agree with you Michael. I'd bet a bunch that Hans already has the inventory problem built into his business model.

Jack, W8TEE

On Tuesday, February 19, 2019, 1:29:47 PM EST, Michael N6MST via Groups.Io <mst72481@...> wrote:

Similar to QCX, I expect there to be an initial rush on QSX. My bet is that Hans kits a much larger run of kQSX to address the initial rush before he even opens it up to orders, possibly eliminating the backlog he experienced with QCX. Since Hans doesn't seem to do limited runs like some other kit sellers (not knocking anyone else, it's just a different sales model) I don't really see how "fair" comes into play, though. If the initial run does indeed sell out (wouldn't surprise me) then wait for the next batch, no big deal. I will be waiting for the next batch regardless, but I do hope that happens sooner rather than later :)

@CurtisM

Chris

In Hans we trust. As the sun goes, you folk east of NA have advantage, except for folk with flexible sleep patterns. It may take several months to serve the first wave. Lets presume rigs can be had if everyone maintains good manners. Let's rejoice in the opportunity.

Curt

Shawn Reed

Just wondering, what would constitute good manners? Limit to two? Myself, I am apt to consider a friend in need. Usually limit myself to one, after factoring in the money. Thanks. Shawnr. kf7yff.

Subject: Re: [QRPLabs] QSX: What will happen if and when the kit is available? #qsx
To: QRPLabs@groups.io
Date: Tuesday, February 19, 2019, 2:13 PM

Chris

In Hans we trust. As the sun goes, you folk
east of NA have advantage, except for folk with flexible
sleep patterns. It may take several months to serve the
first wave. Lets presume rigs can be had if everyone
maintains good manners. Let's rejoice in the
opportunity.

Curt

Bob Bennett

I guess if he is not distracted by our “ Is it done yet” comments he will have time to finish it🤫

Bob

--
Bob/NZ2Z

Josh Boyd

Rest assured it will be released soon because I decided to not wait any longer and bought a QCX to play with yesterday.

Michael N6MST <mst72481@...>

On Tue, Feb 19, 2019 at 03:12 PM, Josh Boyd wrote:
Rest assured it will be released soon because I decided to not wait any longer and bought a QCX to play with yesterday.
That's how it works. I washed my car yesterday, should start raining any minute!

Brian Summers

Ah, that shows you are not familiar with the English rain making ceremony:

1. Water the garden,
2. Wash the car,
3. Start a five day cricket match.

Brian VE7JKZ

On 2/19/2019 3:29 PM, Michael N6MST via Groups.Io wrote:
On Tue, Feb 19, 2019 at 03:12 PM, Josh Boyd wrote:
Rest assured it will be released soon because I decided to not wait any longer and bought a QCX to play with yesterday.
That's how it works. I washed my car yesterday, should start raining any minute!

Andrew

Personally I am just fine with the way the QCX backlog was handled. I ended up in the late 2000’s, and I feel it was worth the wait. “Fair” is a very subjective term.

Steve Raas - N2JDQ - FN13DD

Occasionally I am seeing people reference a number for their QCX as in a serial number. How do I find out what mine is? I dont real ever seeing one.

Steve Raas
N2JDQ

Michael N6MST <mst72481@...>

Login into the QRP Labs website and check your order details for serial number.

mike

Check your emails from when you purchased the kits.

Mike/w1mt

Jonathan Bresler

Not all order confirmation emails or order information at QRP Labs contain the serq

On Wed, Feb 20, 2019 at 7:43 AM mike <w1mt.qrp@...> wrote:
Check your emails from when you purchased the kits.

Mike/w1mt

Jonathan Bresler

Not all order confirmation emails or order information at QRP Labs contain the serial number.
For instance, the order below

73
Jonathan kc3kbe

please excuse the fat finger that resulted in an incomplete email being sent.

On Wed, Feb 20, 2019 at 9:49 AM Jonathan Bresler <jonathan.m.bresler@...> wrote:
Not all order confirmation emails or order information at QRP Labs contain the serq

On Wed, Feb 20, 2019 at 7:43 AM mike <w1mt.qrp@...> wrote:
Check your emails from when you purchased the kits.

Mike/w1mt

KE0GYC

I agree with Lindsey - The QCX backlog was handled fairly and transparently, and Hans went above and beyond in terms of tracking of backlog status and communicating it, IMO.

I am sure the QSX will be handled well, too.  I just know I may have to be patient and wait my turn in the queue.

As for a secondary market, I'll wait rather than let scalpers artificially inflate prices due to a shortage they helped create.  I have a radio that works - I can afford to wait a month or two for a new kit.

Dan Reynolds

I waited to get my QCX till Dayton so I could meet Hans in person. I really enjoyed that. Not sure that will happen this year but perhaps I'll pick up the linear amp then. If I understand things correctly the amp is part of the QSX - yes?
I've been in a hurry in the past and that's not turned out well for me. Though Hans tends to release kits that are already "mature" and is good to not use us as beta testers in kit releases. I think he goes the extra mile - or kilometer if you prefer.
--
Dan Reynolds -- KB9JLO
<><

Michael N6MST <mst72481@...>

On Wed, Feb 20, 2019 at 06:50 AM, Jonathan Bresler wrote:
Not all order confirmation emails or order information at QRP Labs contain the serial number.
For instance, the order below

73
Jonathan kc3kbe

please excuse the fat finger that resulted in an incomplete email being sent.
Link doesn't work if we are not signed into that account. My QCX order, however, VERY CLEARLY listed serial number in the order history. It surprises me yours wasn't.

toggle quoted messag

fred.g3srf@...

Hans will tell the group when the first batch of kits is available. Why not just be patient and wait for the announcement.
Hans must spend hours every day reading these pointless emails when his valuable time could be put to better use.