Topics

VFO/Signal Generator with power-on error, rotary encoder failure #vfo

Tom Puckett, W5JXM

Newly assembled VFO/Signal Generator Kit with Synth module, LPF filter set, and QLG1.

Kit received with probable damage to rotary encoder pins (see attached photo).

At power-on the following appears on the screen:

      VFO s1.04
      QRP Labs, 2017        There is a pause, then the screen wipes and the following appears:
      ERROR: Si535           and then, with no pause (catch me if you can), the screen wipes and I get the following:
      10,000,000                 and I'm in tuning mode at preset 0.

With a sinking feeling I now try to adjust the tuning by carefully moving the rotary encoder setting by one detent step. The result is typically a random change of -2, -1, 0, 1, or 2 in the displayed value.

In the meantime the QLG1 is cheerfully blinking its green and yellow LEDS in the officially approved pattern, so I code up the second line of the display as #GV #HB #GT.  (This is incredibly tedious with the rotary encoder misbehaving.) This brings up the expected pulsing heartbeat display, but the other two fields present "no data" hyphens.  At this point I decide to check the contents of my liquor cabinet.

I have done the usual close inspections of the soldering, touched up possibly weak connections, etc., with no apparent impact.

Any suggestions?  It's not a big deal -- I don't mind just dropping this one in the wastebasket and building a new one.

Hans Summers

Hi Tom

I doubt there's a problem with your rotary encoder or your soldering. It sounds to me like the processor is just running too slowly. Maybe it wasn't programmed correctly and somehow is running 8x or 20x too slowly. Do you have any AVR programmer you can try fixing the fuse values? If not then I will send you a new processor.

73 Hans G0UPL

On Sat, Feb 16, 2019, 22:28 Tom Puckett, W5JXM <thpuckett@...> wrote:

[...]

penwardenj@...

Hi Tom
I had a similar problem when powering up my VFO and QLG1 combination.  However in my case I did not get any error message just the random display changes when trying to set things up with the rotary encoder.  I found that the problem related to the QLG1 being connected to the VFO.  No QLG1 connection and all worked OK.  Plugging the QLG1 back in the problem came back BUT once the QLG1 had locked on to the satellites, Green LED 1pps,  all was well.  The problem seems to be when the Yellow and White LEDs are flashing and the QLG1 is trying to synchronise with the satellites it is corrupting the proper operation of the processor.   Once a set of satellite information is stored the start up recovers quickly on power up.  It may change with different satellite sets over 24hrs but I found my QLG1 usually locks up within 30 seconds and then I can use the encoder settings/tuning with no problems.  I believe the problem may well be excessive noise getting to the processor I/O port but other than trying additional power decoupling, with no change, I can live with waiting the 30 seconds.

John