ProgRock register report broken


KI7MWA
 

Everything was working fine, things looked like the operations manual said it should.  Then I tinkered with some of the circuitry, working toward connecting to the Receiver Module.

Now, things are mostly okay, with the exception of the "?" command, which now produces a semi-broken report (see attached file).  I can still set and query individual registers.  I thought it might be the result of some timing misalignment, so I put a delay in the loop reading from the ProgRock, which resulted in an earlier deterioration of the register listing.

I'm using an Arduino Uno to communicate with the serial output of the ProgRock, showing the output in the Arduino IDE serial monitor as well as a 4x40 LCD, at 9600 baud, with CR only for end-of-line, my sketch is using the SoftwareSerial library for communication with the LCD.

Have I tweaked the microcontroller on my ProgRock or does this sound like a communication problem?  


geoff M0ORE
 

I am using the sketch as described in the manual, page 7, to set the Arduino Nano ( which I already have) and the TeraTerm and Hypertrm to communicate  with the progRock and mostly works OK except for the single registry query. i.e. 4? , when I get no response. A general query of "?" gives the expected result for all registries. I have never got a report like the one in your attached file.

When I get the new processor chip, I will be able to play with mine again. Stuck in customs shed at Heathrow I expect.

Geoff

On 2/3/2019 10:01 PM, entilleser via Groups.Io wrote:
Everything was working fine, things looked like the operations manual said it should.  Then I tinkered with some of the circuitry, working toward connecting to the Receiver Module.

Now, things are mostly okay, with the exception of the "?" command, which now produces a semi-broken report (see attached file).  I can still set and query individual registers.  I thought it might be the result of some timing misalignment, so I put a delay in the loop reading from the ProgRock, which resulted in an earlier deterioration of the register listing.

I'm using an Arduino Uno to communicate with the serial output of the ProgRock, showing the output in the Arduino IDE serial monitor as well as a 4x40 LCD, at 9600 baud, with CR only for end-of-line, my sketch is using the SoftwareSerial library for communication with the LCD.

Have I tweaked the microcontroller on my ProgRock or does this sound like a communication problem?  


KI7MWA
 

Some further investigation:  after setting all registers from 4 - 28 to 0, I began running successive register reports, adding a single digit to the value of register 4 prior to each report, i.e. 1, then 11, then 111, et cetera.  With the exception of the first report, with register 4 containing "1", the breakdown in the register report moved "up" with each successive report - that is, the breakdown appears to be dependent on the number of characters sent, the more characters sent in the early part of the report, the fewer characters are correctly transmitted toward the end.

Like this:
(registers 0-3 as normal)
4:1
5:0
6:0
...
11:0
12:0
13.0
garbage

then
(registers 0-3 as normal)
4:11
5:0
6:0
...
11:0
12:0
garbage


Alan G4ZFQ
 

garbage
I'd check with a computer/COM port.
Cannot see it being the Progrock.

73 Alan G4ZFQ


geoff M0ORE
 

Don't know if you have sorted this problem yet.

Looking at the file you posted first, it looks to me as if you have not got the CR+LF set which you confirmed in your second post.

Have you tried using TeraTerm to communicate with the device set up exactly as the screenshot at bottom of page 7?

Another possibility is the deleting of typos, see warning note on page 10.

As I said earlier, I used the serial port exclusively for programming mine and never had an issue. I tweaked register 2 for the crystal frequency many, many times, often 1Hz at a time to get it right.

You could try setting back to factory default to see if that clears anything. Not certain what the setting of register 28 to 0 would cause. Para 4.5 on page 13 refers.

Still waiting for my replacement device to pop through the letter box. Apparently it is in the UK somewhere.

Geoff

On 2/3/2019 11:42 PM, entilleser via Groups.Io wrote:
Some further investigation:  after setting all registers from 4 - 28 to 0, I began running successive register reports, adding a single digit to the value of register 4 prior to each report, i.e. 1, then 11, then 111, et cetera.  With the exception of the first report, with register 4 containing "1", the breakdown in the register report moved "up" with each successive report - that is, the breakdown appears to be dependent on the number of characters sent, the more characters sent in the early part of the report, the fewer characters are correctly transmitted toward the end.

Like this:
(registers 0-3 as normal)
4:1
5:0
6:0
...
11:0
12:0
13.0
garbage

then
(registers 0-3 as normal)
4:11
5:0
6:0
...
11:0
12:0
garbage