Group storage

Alan G4ZFQ

On 25/01/2019 15:40, geoff M0ORE via Groups.Io wrote:
Does this limit include photos posted in messages like the recent keyers and its duplicates in the replies?
Geoff

Photos and attachments, I guess anyone who posted them can remove them if they are not going to be useful for others.
99 pages of photos.
Using 364MB for attachments storage
Using 615MB for photos storage

73 Alan G4ZFQ

P.S. Just deleted the only photo I have ever posted.

Floyd Hollister <fhh11@...>

How much would it cost to purchase more storage?  A buck or two from qrp-labs subscriers might solve the problem. Perhaps you could put up a link on qrp-labs website so we could donate.  Alternately, PayPal users can send money to anyone who has a PayPal account.  I am prepared to do my share.

N3MNT

Not sure how to remove posted photos.  Just did a search on my user name to attempt to find posts with photos but none show up although I know I have posted photos.  Also happy to send a few bucks if that is the best solution.

Alan G4ZFQ

How much would it cost to purchase more storage?
Perhaps it is not necessary. How much storage do we need? Who looks at it after an initial glance? As Chopper says, "How do we even find them?"
There are far too many "Look at my QCX/ other project" pictures in attachments and files.
Maybe I'm wrong but surely many have served their purpose and just get in the way of the useful ones? Seems to me that over 1GB of pictures is not going to help many, just too much to search through.
Of course I guess many will have left the group now and cannot be asked to delete the ones that are now redundant.
I suggest Hans appoints a moderator with permission to clear some of the older ones when storage reaches a certain level.

73 Alan G4ZFQ

jjpurdum

I just checked for my SoftwareControlledHamRadio group and it's $110/year for a Premium account. You get 1Gb free and 10Gb for a Premium account. There's also an Executive (?) account, but it's $200/month, which is pretty steep.

Jack, W8TEE

On Saturday, January 26, 2019, 9:52:14 AM EST, Alan G4ZFQ <alan4alan@...> wrote:

> How much would it cost to purchase more storage?

Perhaps it is not necessary. How much storage do we need? Who looks at
it after an initial glance? As Chopper says, "How do we even find them?"
There are far too many "Look at my QCX/ other project" pictures in
attachments and files.
Maybe I'm wrong but surely many have served their purpose and just get
in the way of the useful ones? Seems to me that over 1GB of pictures is
not going to help many, just too much to search through.
Of course I guess many will have left the group now and cannot be asked
to delete the ones that are now redundant.
I suggest Hans appoints a moderator with permission to clear some of the
older ones when storage reaches a certain level.

73 Alan G4ZFQ

Bill Cromwell

If somebody is going to remove stale and redundant files they should be careful to not throw the baby out with the bath water. The files and archives are searchable and can help people years after they were posted. No doubt there is alot of dross to be cleaned up. That would make searching the remaining materials practical.

73,

Bill KU8H

On Saturday, January 26, 2019, 9:52:14 AM EST, Alan G4ZFQ <alan4alan@gmail.com> wrote:

> How much would it cost to purchase more storage?
Perhaps it is not necessary. How much storage do we need? Who looks at
it after an initial glance? As Chopper says, "How do we even find them?"
There are far too many "Look at my QCX/ other project" pictures in
attachments and files.
Maybe I'm wrong but surely many have served their purpose and just get
in the way of the useful ones? Seems to me that over 1GB of pictures is
not going to help many, just too much to search through.
Of course I guess many will have left the group now and cannot be asked
to delete the ones that are now redundant.
I suggest Hans appoints a moderator with permission to clear some of the
older ones when storage reaches a certain level.
bark less - wag more

jjpurdum

I actually did not know about the "roll-off" on storage. What happened on my group was I looked for a schematic I posted at the outset of the group and noticed that at least 100 images had disappeared. It appears that the host treats it like a FIFO buffer, which means the "vintage" material disappears first.

Jack, W8TEE

--
bark less - wag more

Jerry Gaffke

Agreed.

The amount of cruft will always expand to fill the available space.
The more cruft, the harder it is to find the occasional nugget.
If there's concern about losing something of value,
just copy all those photos and such over to the QRPLabs website.
Stuff it into a directory named "Junk2018" somewhere, keeping the
directory structure otherwise the same so links can easily be reconstructed.

Fine with me if massive posts with jpegs of screen dumps and pictures of park benches
are simply disallowed.  24 hours after that stuff is posted, nobody would ever be able
to find it again, even if they wanted.  Text can be easily searched for, and you would really
have to work at it to type up a megabyte of text.

If you need to include a photo with the post, add a web pointer off to the files/photos section.
Those with a metered internet service get to decide if I really want to spend a minute
waiting for that stuff to load.

A good time to set policy, before the QSX hits the streets.

Jerry

On Sat, Jan 26, 2019 at 06:52 AM, Alan G4ZFQ wrote:
How much would it cost to purchase more storage?
Perhaps it is not necessary. How much storage do we need? Who looks at it after an initial glance? As Chopper says, "How do we even find them?"
There are far too many "Look at my QCX/ other project" pictures in attachments and files.
Maybe I'm wrong but surely many have served their purpose and just get in the way of the useful ones? Seems to me that over 1GB of pictures is not going to help many, just too much to search through.
Of course I guess many will have left the group now and cannot be asked to delete the ones that are now redundant.
I suggest Hans appoints a moderator with permission to clear some of the older ones when storage reaches a certain level.

73 Alan G4ZFQ

TrueBlue

Put it on imgur.com.

Link to graphic.  Like this: https://i.imgur.com/pj8eVJS.png

Free.

Permanent.

No bloated email to people on the list.

Mike

How about $1 charge for each image uploaded, refundable if anyone views them
again after 5 days of posting. <vbg> & tongue in cheek.....

It would fund the extra space and concentrate the mind as to whether the
images have any, and I do mean any, value.
I for one am fed-up with viewing poor quality images of, usually, poor quality
builds. I generally view the first image and then delete from my inbox. If any
have interest or value, I file them locally.

IMO, only approved fixes, approved mods, official software uploads and
documentation needs to be 'stored' in the files area. I'm sure I've missed
some desirables from this list.

and yes, I'll donate toward upgrading storage if that's whats desired.
72, Mike

On 26 Jan 2019 at 5:59, Floyd Hollister wrote:

How much would it cost to purchase more storage?  A buck or two from
qrp-labs subscriers might solve the problem. Perhaps you could put up a link
on qrp-labs website so we could donate.  Alternately, PayPal users can send
money to anyone who has a PayPal account.  I am prepared to do my share.

jjpurdum

I understand what you're saying, but it's one of those "eye-of-the-beholder" issues. I've seen some pictures of projects, especially cases, where I would never use a similar case, but others really liked it. Right now, I have the authority to removes virtually anything from the site, from posts to pictures, but I really don't want to do that.

If it ever gets to the case where we are, once again, running out of space, I might go through and delete as many innocuous posts of the "I agree" or similar posts that show support/disgreement with a post, but add nothing to the post's understanding. It will be a long time before we have to worry again about more storage. However, the next step up costs $2200/year, and that's pretty daunting and I would likely not ask the member ship to foot that bill. If we ever get to that point, we will probably figure out some posting guidelines.

Jack, W8TEE

On Saturday, January 26, 2019, 2:46:38 PM EST, Mike W <mike@...> wrote:

How about $1 charge for each image uploaded, refundable if anyone views them
again after 5 days of posting. <vbg> & tongue in cheek.....

It would fund the extra space and concentrate the mind as to whether the
images have any, and I do mean any, value.
I for one am fed-up with viewing poor quality images of, usually, poor quality
builds. I generally view the first image and then delete from my inbox. If any
have interest or value, I file them locally.

IMO, only approved fixes, approved mods, official software uploads and
documentation needs to be 'stored' in the files area. I'm sure I've missed
some desirables from this list.

and yes, I'll donate toward upgrading storage if that's whats desired.
72, Mike

On 26 Jan 2019 at 5:59, Floyd Hollister wrote:

> How much would it cost to purchase more storage?  A buck or two from
> qrp-labs subscriers might solve the problem. Perhaps you could put up a link
> on qrp-labs website so we could donate.  Alternately, PayPal users can send
> money to anyone who has a PayPal account.  I am prepared to do my share.

N3MNT

QUOTE" Put it on imgur.com.

Link to graphic.  Like this: https://i.imgur.com/pj8eVJS.png"

I am not a fan of this as I would never open this tiny url type link as way too many contain viruses

Alan Richmond

Is the cost of extra storage a one-off cost, or an annual one?

Alan

GU3ONJ

E & O E

Floyd Hollister <fhh11@...>

Jack,

$2200/year sounds way too high.  How much storage would that supply compared to what you are using now? If the cost was $220 /year, I think the membership would opt for it.

Many good points have been made about the need for purging files of useless or outdated material is a good one but it requires someone to do it.

There must be some affordable way that Group data can be stored and retrieved using a good search engine.

73, Floyd K2DUV

Alan G4ZFQ

What this shows is the difference between past usage of groups like this and the present.
The Softrock group has for 14 years done much the same as this group, supported kit construction. It has 8500 members, is now in it's twilight years, little used.
The present groups.io statistics show
Using 170MB for photos storage
Using 1.2MB for attachments storage.
Using 149MB for files storage.
There has never been cause to delete files... People just did not post them or made an external link.

I guess it's smartphones?

73 Alan G4ZFQ

jjpurdum

As it turns out, one anonymous donor gave enough to pay for the entire year. Indeed, enough was given by everyone to keep the site going for 3 years. $2200/year gets 1Tb. Having me weaning the chaff is probably not a good use of my time, so we'll just leave it as it is.

Jack, W8TEE

On Sunday, January 27, 2019, 8:19:59 AM EST, Floyd Hollister <fhh11@...> wrote:

Jack,

$2200/year sounds way too high.  How much storage would that supply compared to what you are using now? If the cost was $220 /year, I think the membership would opt for it.

Many good points have been made about the need for purging files of useless or outdated material is a good one but it requires someone to do it.

There must be some affordable way that Group data can be stored and retrieved using a good search engine.

73, Floyd K2DUV

Andy G0FTD <punkbiscuit@...>

The price of success = group storage has run out.
Probably the first ever radio group to do so.
That'll teach young Hans to be so popular ;-)

Here's one idea, make an appeal for as many users as possible to delete their own posts / photo's in a mass act
of self moderation ?

If it's felt that something is unique or of good historical value then leave it, fair enough.

A group post and/or a group special message can be sent to all subscribers easily via the admin page to ask for this.

Once it appears to be down enough, Hans can get in and add his files into the files area.

I like using the group files area very much and it would be nice to still keep it as a one stop shop in addition to Hans's
own website.

73 de Andy

jjpurdum

It's $10/month, or $110 for a year for 10Gb.

Jack, W8TEE

On Sat, Jan 26, 2019 at 02:05 PM, Chopper wrote:
> Like this: https://i.imgur.com/pj8eVJS.png"

I am not a fan of this as I would never open this tiny url type link as way too many contain viruses
It's not a TinyURL link,  It's directly to Imgur's site and it's a .PNG file.