Extra parts in my OCXO/Si5351A synthesizer module kit #synth #ocxo #si5351a

John Canfield <bucket@...>

I just finished a second OCXO kit and I freaked out when I found several leftover 151 caps (.15pf). When I looked at the parts list it didn't include these caps so they will go in my parts bin. Also there's an included 10Mhz crystal which obviously isn't used for this application.

Thanks for the extra parts but it was a little confusing :-)

Just got a notice my second Q3S Ultimate kit has shipped. I'm having way too much fun building and it gave me a good excuse to upgrade to a Hakko soldering station, Hakko solder sucker and Vision Luxo magnifying lamp.
--
John, WB5THT

geoff M0ORE

caps with the marking 151 are 150pF, not 0.15pF. Third digit is multiplier or more simply, number of noughts.

Geoff

On 1/2/2019 3:39 PM, John Canfield wrote:
I just finished a second OCXO kit and I freaked out when I found several leftover 151 caps (.15pf). When I looked at the parts list it didn't include these caps so they will go in my parts bin. Also there's an included 10Mhz crystal which obviously isn't used for this application.

Thanks for the extra parts but it was a little confusing :-)

Just got a notice my second Q3S Ultimate kit has shipped. I'm having way too much fun building and it gave me a good excuse to upgrade to a Hakko soldering station, Hakko solder sucker and Vision Luxo magnifying lamp.
--
John, WB5THT

Alan de G1FXB

You may have inadvertently got some components from Hans personal stash  :-[

I don't recall any current* QRP Labs kits sold that utilise 10MHz Xtals?

Alan

On 02/01/2019 18:43, geoff M0ORE via Groups.Io wrote:

caps with the marking 151 are 150pF, not 0.15pF. Third digit is multiplier or more simply, number of noughts.

Geoff

On 1/2/2019 3:39 PM, John Canfield wrote:
I just finished a second OCXO kit and I freaked out when I found several leftover 151 caps (.15pf). When I looked at the parts list it didn't include these caps so they will go in my parts bin. Also there's an included 10Mhz crystal which obviously isn't used for this application.

Thanks for the extra parts but it was a little confusing :-)

Just got a notice my second Q3S Ultimate kit has shipped. I'm having way too much fun building and it gave me a good excuse to upgrade to a Hakko soldering station, Hakko solder sucker and Vision Luxo magnifying lamp.
--
John, WB5THT

John Canfield <bucket@...>

I think one of the other kits in my Q3S Ultimate package also had a 10 Mhz crystal. A bonus!

--
John, WB5THT

Hans Summers

Hi All

There was a special run of 10MHz OCXO variants of the kit, at some point a couple of years ago. 100 were produced without Si5351A; and instead of the 27MHz crystal they had 10MHz, and 150pF capacitors instead of 56pF. I still have a handful left here.

In only one or two cases, there was a point where we ran out of the OCXO kit and the next batch was days away from arriving here. So I got some of those old 10MHz OCXO kits and added a 27MHz crystal and the 56pF capacitors, and swapped over to a board with the Si5351A on it. Really this must have been literally only 1 or 2, I can't remember. So John - I believe this is the explanation - you are just the one or two!

73 Hans G0UPL

On Thu, Jan 3, 2019 at 1:35 AM John Canfield <bucket@...> wrote:
I think one of the other kits in my Q3S Ultimate package also had a 10 Mhz crystal. A bonus!

--
John, WB5THT

John Canfield <bucket@...>

Wow, I think I have both of them Hans! Now I need to come up with a project to use the 10 Mhz crystal. I wouldn't mind sending them back but I suspect postage would be prohibitive.
--
John, WB5THT

George Byrkit

well, that explains what I have in two ocxo kits that I purchased in July 2018.  they both have these extra parts.  the search here quickly supplied the answer!

Thanks, Hans, for all that you do.
73,
George K9TRV