Side cutters #tool

turnsouth@...

Have my 40m QCX ordered and am waiting (somewhat) patiently for the status to switch from "complete" to "shipped", but in the mean time I want to ask a tool question from other builders.

What is your favorite brand / type of side cutters for trimming leads after soldering?

I usually just pick up a decent pair of 4-5 inch ones with a small head. They work well for a while, but after a few projects the blades end up getting notched near the tip from all the trimming making them more difficult to use, and in need of replacement. Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a good long lasting pair of side cutters.

Thanks
Paul

Al Sines

Paul,

Buy a good quality tool from Xcelite and you should be fine. I own several Xcelite side cutters for years and they perform well. Just make sure you only use them for small gauge wire or you will damage them.

The other pair I have and really like is a CHP-170 side cutters. They are made in Italy and are very nice quality. Hakko sells them as P/N CHP-170. You can find them on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Hakko-CHP-170-Micro-Cutter/dp/B00FZPDG1K/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1544679557&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=chp-170+micro+cutter&dpPl=1&dpID=414t7uLh8KL&ref=plSrch

I have been using these for several years now and they perform well.

73, Alan
W3AL

On Dec 12, 2018, at 20:08, turnsouth via Groups.Io <turnsouth@...> wrote:

Have my 40m QCX ordered and am waiting (somewhat) patiently for the status to switch from "complete" to "shipped", but in the mean time I want to ask a tool question from other builders.

What is your favorite brand / type of side cutters for trimming leads after soldering?

I usually just pick up a decent pair of 4-5 inch ones with a small head. They work well for a while, but after a few projects the blades end up getting notched near the tip from all the trimming making them more difficult to use, and in need of replacement. Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a good long lasting pair of side cutters.

Thanks
Paul

Mike Bowthorpe

Hi Paul

You do get what you pay for - I prefer Lindstrom.

Get one for Christmas?

73
Mike
G0CVZ

William Hill

On 13/12/2018 09:32, Mike Bowthorpe wrote:
You do get what you pay for - I prefer Lindstrom.
Another vote for Lindstrom.

73, M1BKF

--
Red to red, black to black, switch it on, but stand well back.

Patrick York

David Wilcox

I have used these for years, but if you cut any iron, steel, or other harder than copper wire throw them away. I have gone through five or six of them in the last 20 years...... but I still love them and pay $18.00 for them at a local hobby store.

TRACK CUTTER -- FOR HO, N & Z RAIL https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015RE67R8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_bbKeCbK1EBMWX

David J. Wilcox K8WPE’s iPad

On Dec 13, 2018, at 6:01 AM, Patrick York <pyork@comporium.net> wrote:

Xcelite 170M

https://www.amazon.com/Xcelite-General-Purpose-Shearcutter-Diagonal/dp/B0002BBZIS?th=1

73,
Patrick KF4LMZ

Alan de G1FXB

Not cheap, but a Lindstrom side cutter nearly 40 years old

Used to cut not as a substitute for a pair of pliers........

Alan

On 13/12/2018 09:32, Mike Bowthorpe wrote:
Hi Paul

You do get what you pay for - I prefer Lindstrom.

Get one for Christmas?

73
Mike
G0CVZ

geoffrey pike

I once (in my twenties) bought a pair of expensive leather shoes and they must have lasted 10 years or more, a few years ago  i bought a pair of Lindstrom side cutters and well i think they will last like the shoes, don't cut anything more than resistor/cap leads though!
cheers
Geoff
GI0GDP

On Thursday, 13 December 2018, 12:02:41 GMT, Alan de G1FXB via Groups.Io <g1fxb@...> wrote:

Not cheap, but a Lindstrom side cutter nearly 40 years old

Used to cut not as a substitute for a pair of pliers........

Alan

On 13/12/2018 09:32, Mike Bowthorpe wrote:
Hi Paul

You do get what you pay for - I prefer Lindstrom.

Get one for Christmas?

73
Mike
G0CVZ

mike

Lindstrom. I found some at a second hand electronics store in Winter Park, FL years ago. Bought several and still have them. The best!

I respectively disagree with the usage. They have been pliers, wrenches, levers, screwdrivers and wonderfull side cutters. And mine are still cutting well!

Frank   W1FRA

On Thu, Dec 13, 2018 at 12:15 PM mike <w1mt.qrp@...> wrote:
Lindstrom. I found some at a second hand electronics store in Winter Park, FL years ago. Bought several and still have them. The best!

Pedro Henrique Kopper

I've been using nail trimmers for a long time and they work great.

On Thu, Dec 13, 2018 at 3:22 PM Frank W1FRA <allenfr@...> wrote:
I respectively disagree with the usage. They have been pliers, wrenches, levers, screwdrivers and wonderfull side cutters. And mine are still cutting well!

Frank   W1FRA

On Thu, Dec 13, 2018 at 12:15 PM mike <w1mt.qrp@...> wrote:
Lindstrom. I found some at a second hand electronics store in Winter Park, FL years ago. Bought several and still have them. The best!

--
Att Pedro H. Kopper

Graham, VE3GTC

Knipex also makes very good quality tools, I have handful of their tools.

this is one of my favourites:

https://www.knipex.com/index.php?id=1216&L=1&page=art_detail&parentID=1367&groupID=1467&artID=2172

and for stripping the insulation off of magnet wire you can struggle
along with your pen knife, exacto knife, or sandpaper if you like but
you will never regret something this:

https://www.knipex.com/index.php?id=1216&L=1&page=group_detail&parentID=1363&groupID=1390

I find it so useful I have two.

cheeapest place I have found for the later is:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Knipex-1511120-Coated-Wire-Stripping-Tweezers-4-1-2-In/141959591547

cheers, Graham ve3gtc

On 12/13/2018, "geoffrey pike via Groups.Io"
<gi0gdp=yahoo.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:

I once (in my twenties) bought a pair of expensive leather shoes and they must have lasted 10 years or more, a few years ago  i bought a pair of Lindstrom side cutters and well i think they will last like the shoes, don't cut anything more than resistor/cap leads though!cheersGeoffGI0GDP On Thursday, 13 December 2018, 12:02:41 GMT, Alan de G1FXB via Groups.Io <g1fxb=yahoo.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:

Not cheap, but a Lindstrom side cutter nearly 40 years old

Used to cut not as a substitute for a pair of pliers........

Alan

On 13/12/2018 09:32, Mike Bowthorpe wrote:

Hi Paul

You do get what you pay for - I prefer Lindstrom.

Get one for Christmas?

73
Mike
G0CVZ

m5fra2@...

Without doubt it has to be Lindstrom. First pair lasted 35+ years. Have side cutters and their perfectly flush cutters which are ideal for trimming wires on PCBs See http://www.m5fra.org.uk/home-construction/qcx-transceiver-build/  Yellow handled pair are side cutter, while handles are flush cutters.

Colin – M5FRA

Have my 40m QCX ordered and am waiting (somewhat) patiently for the status to switch from "complete" to "shipped", but in the mean time I want to ask a tool question from other builders.

What is your favorite brand / type of side cutters for trimming leads after soldering?

I usually just pick up a decent pair of 4-5 inch ones with a small head. They work well for a while, but after a few projects the blades end up getting notched near the tip from all the trimming making them more difficult to use, and in need of replacement. Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a good long lasting pair of side cutters.

Thanks
Paul

Mike

Toffee hammer and 1/8" wood chisel, best cut ever. Bit of a pain grinding the
nicks out of the blade though <vbg>

On 13 Dec 2018 at 15:46, Pedro Henrique Kopper wrote:

I've been using nail trimmers for a long time and they work great.

Nice callsign !  M5FRA !

Frank  W1FRA

On Thu, Dec 13, 2018 at 2:09 PM Mike W <mike@...> wrote:
Toffee hammer and 1/8" wood chisel, best cut ever. Bit of a pain grinding the
nicks out of the blade though <vbg>

On 13 Dec 2018 at 15:46, Pedro Henrique Kopper wrote:

> I've been using nail trimmers for a long time and they work great.

m5fra2@...

I also have G8FRA!

Toffee hammer and 1/8" wood chisel, best cut ever. Bit of a pain grinding the
nicks out of the blade though <vbg>

On 13 Dec 2018 at 15:46, Pedro Henrique Kopper wrote:

> I've been using nail trimmers for a long time and they work great

juggie@...

Still using a pair of Lindstrom needle nose pliers that I was given 45 years ago here, still very nice to use too. I’d be using the cutters that I was given at the same time if my xyl hadn’t sniffled them and cut florists wire with them - solved that problem though, divorced her !!

73s all, Nick

Les G3VYZ

I also have G8ARF :-)

I have two pairs of side cutters from RS (548-164) which have an attachment that stops the
wire offcut from flying across the room. They are over forty years old, still going strong and
are still sold by RS.

turnsouth@...

Wow, thanks for all the advice, so many choices.

After reading the cautions, I wonder if it is the leads from transistors that play havoc on cutters. After a series of LED Christmas tress I built in a row this year for the XYL, I noticed they seem to be a hard steel compared to resistors and the rest.

Ryan Flowers

Another vote for the Hakko. I bought a pair and then my wife thought I didn't, and ordered it for me! So now I have two pair. The second pair is unopened because the first one keeps going and going. I use it for all sorts of things. A great deal! https://amzn.to/2PTft3T

--
Ryan Flowers - W7RLF
MiscDotGeek.com