No GPS data with U3S - For Hans

Brian Summers

I received a replacement MCU yesterday 28th November.  Before inserting it I wanted to ensure there was still no GPS data with the 26th Oct MCU on the board. This was indeed the case. Then whilst making some parameter changes GPS data appeared. After many hours I realized the problem occurs when two almost identical modes are set with the same band number. Remove one of them, switch off/on, then GPS data appears immediately following the opening screen. This occurs with both the MCU received 26th Oct and the replacement.

It's been a long day but think I've nailed it down. Strange thing is, no error message appears.

Brian VE7JKZ

On 11/3/2018 11:35 AM, Brian Summers wrote:

Hi Hans,

I've built another U3S main board, put in the MCU received 26th October and the result is exactly the same.

Seems that the only thing left is the MCU. Clutching at straws perhaps but not sure what else I can do at my end.

Please pop another in the mail for me (Canadian address) and let's see how it goes. My first order took two months or so to arrive and the second two weeks. Let's hope this one is closer to the two week mark....

tnx, 73 Brian VE7JKZ

On 11/2/2018 10:56 AM, Brian Summers wrote:

Hi Hans

QLG1 checked in VE7TK's clock, Rick lives nearby which is fortunate.

Just to be 100% plus sure I have again put the 'scope probe directly on pin 2 of the MCU, RXD. It displays a 5V level going to zero volts as data comes along.

And again put the 'scope probe directly on pin 28 of MCU, 1PPS. It displays a 0V level going to 5V when pulse comes along.

Confirm GPS mode set to 2....

One thing I'm not certain of is the real time clock. With no GPS data it (presumably) cannot display time. If I set GPS mode to zero and enter a time in the 'Set Time' window it never changes. Neither does the colon (:) flash as it does in most clocks. I do not know if this is normal behaviour.

I do have a new bare U3S board with parts. Next step is to populate it, insert the MCU chip I have, and see what happens.

Brian VE7JKZ

On 11/2/2018 1:43 AM, Hans Summers wrote:
Hi Brian

Big mystery then... The QLG1 works because you connected it to your Clock.

U3S... presumably you checked multiple times you didn't mix the Serial data and 1pps signals? And you have GPS Mode set to 2...

Not sure what to suggest, it is very strange... I could send you another microcontroller if you like but that seems clutching at straws too...

73 Hans G0UPL

On Fri, Nov 2, 2018 at 9:31 AM Brian Summers <ve7jkz@...> wrote:

Hi Hans,

MCU from QRP Labs, order number 22902 on 08 October and received 26 October. Incredibly fast compared to the first order.

Brian

On 11/1/2018 10:00 PM, Hans Summers wrote:
Hi Brian

Where did you get the new MCU? Was it from me? Or did you program it yourself? If you programmed it yourself, did you correctly set the fuses? If the fuses were set such that the system clock is not the 20MHz crystal, then everything would run much slower, and the serial data would absolutely not be decoded. If this is the case then you would perhaps notice the responses of the U3S to be slower than usual, and if you look at the realtime clock you would see it runs more slowly.

73 Hans G0UPL

On Fri, Nov 2, 2018 at 3:30 AM Brian Summers <ve7jkz@...> wrote:
Hi Ken,
My QLG1 board has since been tried on a QRP LABS clock and works fine.
I'm able to generate power at the correct frequency which presumably eliminates the Si5351A module.
The main U3S board was working fine until I 'blew' the MCU. Replacement new MCU is installed.
MCU has been removed to verify no bent pins (none) and reinserted.
The GPS 1PPS and RXD appear on pins 28 and 2 of the MCU. The 'scope is directly on the MCU pins not the board.
Same 3m cable between U3S and QLG1 as before.
DC power from a well regulated psu then a 7805 to provide 5V
I've just about run out of ideas....

Brian VE7JKZ

Alan G4ZFQ

Strange thing is, no error message appears.
Brian,

I guess if Hans knew it would happen there would be no error message because he had put it right!

when two almost identical modes are set with the same band number
Maybe let Hans know exactly what settings, what are "almost identical" modes?

73 Alan G4ZFQ

Brian Summers

GM Alan,

For the record my notes show the following when trying to set up for 473Khz.

0] 0 000,473,000 then on the line below, TX CW.  Call this message A

now press the menu key and the display shows:

0] 0 000,473,000 then on the line below, TX CW      00 0.  Call this message B.

Under these conditions there is no GPS data. Now disable message B, switch off/on, then GPS data appears immediately following the Ultimate 3S information screen.

I suppose I could spend more time on this trying other modes and messages but it can be very time consuming particularly with the case mounted push button switches which I find to be very flimsy and troublesome. For now I'm content to know that if I have no GPS data and scroll the menu to find two messages with the same number, I know what to do about it.

73 Brian VE7JKZ

On 11/30/2018 2:42 AM, Alan G4ZFQ wrote:
Strange thing is, no error message appears.
 Brian,

I guess if Hans knew it would happen there would be no error message because he had put it right!

when two almost identical modes are set with the same band number
Maybe let Hans know exactly what settings, what are "almost identical" modes?

73 Alan G4ZFQ

Brian Summers

I've managed to come up with a procedure for repeating my problem. I've got the unit mode indices programmed so it operates as follows:

1. Power on U3S. Ultimate3S 3.12a appears. Then the display switches to GPS data as it should.

2. Press the Menu button once and the display reads:

0]-0-000,473,000
TX CW-------00-0

3. Press the menu button again and the displays reads:

1]-0-000,473,000
TX CW-------00-0

4. All the above really shows is that I have the same message in mode index 0 and 1. Not intentionally I might add. I'm new to the U3S so this is all happenstance.

5. Now power off/on. Once again the Ultimate3S screen appears followed by GPS data.

6. Press the menu button once and see the display as para 2 above.

7. Now press the edit button twice to enable. The display will show:

0] 0 000,473,000
TX CW       00 0

8. Power off/on. The Ultimate 3S screen appears, the GPS data does not appear and instead the display shows as follows. The beating heart appears where it should.

0] 0 000,473,000
TX CW

9. Press the menu button again and see:

0] 0 000,473,000
TX CW       00 0

10. Press the menu button again and see:

1]-0-000,473,000
TX CW-------00 0

11. You can see from 8 and 9 that I've created two messages identified with mode index 0]. Now you can repeat from para 8. The unit goes directly from the Ultimate 3S screen to the first mode setting every time, bypassing the GPS data screen. It all repeats.

12. To recover from this situation power off/on as para 8, go to the screen shown in para 9, then press the edit button twice to disable the mode setting. Now power off/on and GPS data will follow the Ultimate 3S screen.

Doubtless there are other ways of demonstrating this but the above is repeatable for me. Here's hoping that when I post this the formatting does not change........

Brian VE7JKZ

On 11/30/2018 8:34 AM, Brian Summers wrote:
GM Alan,

For the record my notes show the following when trying to set up for 473Khz.

0] 0 000,473,000 then on the line below, TX CW.  Call this message A

now press the menu key and the display shows:

0] 0 000,473,000 then on the line below, TX CW      00 0.  Call this message B.

Under these conditions there is no GPS data. Now disable message B, switch off/on, then GPS data appears immediately following the Ultimate 3S information screen.

I suppose I could spend more time on this trying other modes and messages but it can be very time consuming particularly with the case mounted push button switches which I find to be very flimsy and troublesome. For now I'm content to know that if I have no GPS data and scroll the menu to find two messages with the same number, I know what to do about it.

73 Brian VE7JKZ

On 11/30/2018 2:42 AM, Alan G4ZFQ wrote:
Strange thing is, no error message appears.

 Brian,

I guess if Hans knew it would happen there would be no error message because he had put it right!

>when two almost identical modes are set with the same band number

Maybe let Hans know exactly what settings, what are "almost identical" modes?

73 Alan G4ZFQ

Brian Summers

Strange, I sent this several hours ago but it never appeared. Let me try again.

Brian VE7JKZ

> [...]

I suppose I could spend more time on this trying other modes and messages but it can be very time consuming particularly with the case mounted push button switches which I find to be very flimsy and troublesome. For now I'm content to know that if I have no GPS data and scroll the menu to find two messages with the same number, I know what to do about it.

73 Brian VE7JKZ

On 11/30/2018 2:42 AM, Alan G4ZFQ wrote:
Strange thing is, no error message appears.

 Brian,

I guess if Hans knew it would happen there would be no error message because he had put it right!

>when two almost identical modes are set with the same band number

Maybe let Hans know exactly what settings, what are "almost identical" modes?

geoff M0ORE

First send appeared here OK .