Topics

Lcd #chat

K8ar Ben

A new chat has been created:

After aligning the my qrx the readout suddenly quit. All I see is two rows light blocks. Voltage can be adjusted from 0 to 5 volts. No shorts anywhere and all soldered joints look good. Does the atmega need replacing.? It worked fine up to that point.

View/Join This Chat

Alan G4ZFQ

After aligning the my qrx the readout suddenly quit. All I see is two rows light blocks. Voltage can be adjusted from 0 to 5 volts. No shorts anywhere and all soldered joints look good. Does the atmega need replacing.? It worked fine up to that point.
Ben,

A start here http://www.qrp-labs.com/qcx/qcxtrouble.html#blank

73 Alan G4ZFQ

K8ar Ben

Yes I read that and did all the checks. It was working fine thru the alignment process when it suddenly quit. Disregard the warning about phishing. I don ‘t know what that is about. I use this address every day for years. Ben k8ar

On Sat, Nov 17, 2018 at 4:51 PM Alan G4ZFQ <alan4alan@...> wrote:

> After aligning the my qrx the readout suddenly quit. All I see is two
> rows light blocks. Voltage can be adjusted from 0 to 5 volts. No shorts
> anywhere and all soldered joints look good. Does the atmega need
> replacing.? It worked fine up to that point.

Ben,

A start here http://www.qrp-labs.com/qcx/qcxtrouble.html#blank

did all the checks. It was working fine thru the alignment process when it suddenly quit.
Ben,

I can't suggest anything other than what the guide says.
Two rows says the processor has spoken to it.
If it has the latest firmware it should show something.

Look again for bad joints, solder whisker.
While component failure is not impossible bad connections are more likely.

73 Alan G4ZFQ

K8ar Ben

Thanks. I will try to use the wet finger approach across the processor terminals and the Si5351A terminals to short out any thing that is hanging up. Voltage off of course. Ben k8ar

On Sun, Nov 18, 2018 at 2:57 AM Alan G4ZFQ <alan4alan@...> wrote:
> did all the checks. It was working fine thru the
> alignment process when it suddenly quit.

Ben,

I can't suggest anything other than what the guide says.
Two rows says the processor has spoken to it.
If it has the latest firmware it should show something.

Look again for bad joints, solder whisker.
While component failure is not impossible bad connections are more likely.

  73 Alan G4ZFQ

K8ar Ben

Alan thanks for the suggestions. I ordered a new atmega chip and the 2 105 caps and I now have a working qcx. It was so nice to turn the rig on and immediately watch it come alive. Needless to say attempting to discharge a ic pin did nothing. My atmega just quit. Ben