Topics

Adding S-Meter/Output Power on LCD Display? #vfo

Steve Carey

I thought abt that Chris but I'd have a load of trailing wires or yet anouth multi-way connector! LOL. I think theay'll fit nicely ablve the LCD Display and the pronted graphics. I'll mock it up on a bit of PCB Board the same size as the front panel.

Thanks for yr suggestion Chris.

Steve - G4MJW

On Mon, 15 Oct 2018 at 09:36, Chris Wood via Groups.Io <g4cws=yahoo.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:
You could put a row of LEDs along the front edge of the lid?

Chris G4CWS

Chris Wood

You could put a row of LEDs along the front edge of the lid?

Chris G4CWS

Steve Carey

Hi Both . . . and thanks for the info.

The RX board has an AGC output and I previously used another of these receivers with a 20uA S-Meter. Via a small capacitor and a diode or two, I cane sniff some volts from the transmitter output stage. SO what I think I'll do is have a row of 3mm LED's in the small gap above the LCD Display driven by an LM3914 LED Bargraph Driver chip. I really don't have front panel space for a real meter but a string of LED's is doable. The front panel is only 140mm X 70mm! Mock-up:
http://www.g4mjw.com/images/Natterbox-Mock-up-G4MJW.jpg

Steve

KEN G4APB

Hi Steve.
I have a U3S receiver with polyphase board and use a simple design external battery powered S meter/AGC that runs off the audio by fitting the unused I/Q 600 ohm transformer and paralelling the SSB af output and fitting a extra socket on the U3S. This provides a fixed level audio to the S meter circuit. It works quite well and compresses at FSD.

I also would like to see a bargraph on the U3S display with an analogue control input(s) for both S meter and RF power/SWR display. Hans has managed a small one on the QCX. I guess a big problem is updating a varying level almost in real time while so much else is going on in the rig, Something to be added for consideration later maybe?

73 Ken G4APB

I don't think the source code is available.
--
> I finally got it all together...now I can't remember where I put it<

Wes

AE6ZM

Sierra Vista, AZ

jjpurdum

If you Goolge "Arduino S meter" or "Arduino VU meter", you'll get a number of hits that you can investigate. The simplest are S meters that run off the audio, which are really not S meters, but rather VU meters and usually reflect the volume of the signal. A real S meter ties into the IF chain and would require a little more work. As to the programming, since you're smart enough to get your license, you're more than smart enough to program such a project.

Jack, W8TEE

On Saturday, October 13, 2018, 10:50:24 AM EDT, stevecarey1948@... <stevecarey1948@...> wrote:

I'm building a couple of Top Band (1.8-2.0MHz) Transceivers using the VFO/SigGen module in each. Stuck for front panel space for an analogue S-Meter/TX Power output, would it be possible to use the second row on the LCD Display as a Bargraph? I guess some major additions/changes to the firmware . . . . beyond my capabilities! LOL. Can anyone help?

Steve/G4MJW

Steve Carey